Level up in production... I think...

McLeanAB

So,

I've decided the Supercharger Compressor plug-in might be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've had it for a while, but really started playing around with it using not only the compression, but also the 'punch' and 'dirt' and adding it to drums and bass and a guitar or two. This time, I threw it on the mix a bit and it seemed to really open up the overall clarity of the mix more than I'm used to in a great way. A little bit of EQ on the guitars to drop some of the deep low end and boom!

Really happy with the overall sound... coulda raised up the ride cymbal a bit on the double kick mid section, but other than that, I'm pretty happy. The song itself was composed for a buddy of mine who needed an intro to his podcast that deals with movies, some horror, some not.

And I can't seem to keep my hands off of my Jackson Juggernaut HT6 with the EMG Het Set... that 20" radius on the fretboard is something else!!! Stupid flat I think it was called...

Anyway, enjoy!

Sounds great, man!

I just got the Plug-in Alliance mega bundle subscription yesterday, after I made a deal with myself months ago when I got the Slate subscription, that I wouldn't get another. At the end of the day, I like twiddling knobs and tweaking sound, so fuck it. The more the merrier.

Guitars sound killer in there, really, it all sounds great!

I do top-down mixing with all my mixes, but I keep it really simple. For the most part it's just been an SSLComp in the master bus and then I'll use Logic's EQ if I have to, but I try to avoid using any EQ in there at all and I'm getting better at not having to. Mostly because I started dialing in tones in my AxeFX as I was running a DI through it, playing along with the track. I basically treat AxeEdit like a plug-in and tweak until the guitars are sitting where I want them.

And sometimes I'll throw a limiter in the mixbus for the days I'm having a good time and want to crank the shit out of my speakers while I'm tracking. This PA subscription came with an assload of mastering plug-ins, which is kind of dangerous territory for me because I'm just now getting to the point where I dig my mixes and I'm in a totally untreated room, I'm just used to it.

Tight work!

Thanks, dude!

Yeah, if I create a sound on my ISP Theta Pro, it usually has too much bass for a good mix, but sounds SO good in the room. It's taken me a long time to trust if I remove a little bass, it'll sit much better in the mix without so much tweaking while mixing.

There's just something about the Supercharger Compressor when used subtly that just rules... my next leap will be to lower the gain in my high gain sounds just a bit so there's more clarity and articulation. This particular song is triple tracked guitars on the rhythm... left and right are slightly different preamp sounds with the onboard Creamback 1x12 sim, and up the middle is a 4x12 Greenback sim (all onboard the Theta Pro). I've lowered the gain a bit over time, but I might push it even further. When I do, I always feel like I get a bit of that 'spank' or 'twang' that Jake E. Lee got live during the Ozzy days. Not bad, just not used to it... almost djenty... almost! :)

So,

I've decided the Supercharger Compressor plug-in might be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've had it for a while, but really started playing around with it using not only the compression, but also the 'punch' and 'dirt' and adding it to drums and bass and a guitar or two. This time, I threw it on the mix a bit and it seemed to really open up the overall clarity of the mix more than I'm used to in a great way. A little bit of EQ on the guitars to drop some of the deep low end and boom!

Really happy with the overall sound... coulda raised up the ride cymbal a bit on the double kick mid section, but other than that, I'm pretty happy. The song itself was composed for a buddy of mine who needed an intro to his podcast that deals with movies, some horror, some not.

And I can't seem to keep my hands off of my Jackson Juggernaut HT6 with the EMG Het Set... that 20" radius on the fretboard is something else!!! Stupid flat I think it was called...

Anyway, enjoy!

Sounds stunning. Thanks for sharing.

David Hopkins

Gonna smooth out the harshness of the rhythm guitars a bit, add some piano, and in all the non-lead spots, there will be vocals...

The big transition I hear machine voices overlapping or transmissions. In the tear down, not a clue...

Gonna smooth out the harshness of the rhythm guitars a bit, add some piano, and in all the non-lead spots, there will be vocals...

The big transition I hear machine voices overlapping or transmissions. In the tear down, not a clue...

Best trick I ever learned for reducing the resonant peak of a pickup is changing the load. Some pickups, like the Seymour Duncan JB and Screamin' Demon sound best with 125-150K load, as opposed to 250K like they'd have with two 500K pots. To simulate, reduce the volume knob of your guitar a bit, then dial in your rig. Worked wonders for me, and I no longer fight my guitars as a result.

If you have two 500K's and want to try this, you can wire a 330K ohm resistor from your bridge PU's hot output to ground for around 142K total load.

Back