I figured out Bogner EQ - it's more than just a log Treble pot (with clips) also NAD Bogner content

The bogner tone stack is the same as any marshall except has the different treble pot taper. It's not a high shelf control.
Apart from the treble knob position its going to do the same thing as any other amp.

Cool post, but where are you getting your technical information from?

The bogner tone stack is the same as any marshall except has the different treble pot taper. It's not a high shelf control.
Apart from the treble knob position its going to do the same thing as any other amp.

From the tests I did in my own studio. Check out the clips I posted.

Only fender and trainwreck have tone stacks in the middle of the preamp (after the first gain stage). Bogner is at the end, same as all marshalls and 99% of rock or metal amps

The Helios I have has a typical TMB Marshall tone stack. Great amp, but nothing out of the ordinary going on with the controls. The Uberschall's controls are a bit wonky. But that doesn't mean every Bogner is like that.

10000000% correct. The XTC is the same as a marshal tone stack, with an Audio (log) taper treble pot. Put a linear taper pot like Marshal, and the XTC is a very bright amp.

Bogner used the Audio (log)m taper pot because most guitarist set the amp controls with their eyes. The standard linear treble pot would be too bright at 12:00, so he used an audio (log) taper pot.

The Helios I have has a typical TMB Marshall tone stack. Great amp, but nothing out of the ordinary going on with the controls. The Uberschall's controls are a bit wonky. But that doesn't mean every Bogner is like that.
Agreed. I had a Helios and still have an Uber Original version. I didn’t have to do anything unusual eq wise to get it where I wanted, while with my Uber I dial it in almost the exact opposite of a normal amp. Soundwise, feelwise, eq knob wise, just polar opposites. I’d never guess they were both made by the same brand if I didn’t know. Both great amps though

Wish Bogner made more nice ptp amps besides the Helios & Telos. Imo their 2 best amps tonally that they still have (still because of no more OG Uber). The Telos is very overlooked imo for a JTM45-ish vibe

EDIT: they’re not ptp. I stand corrected

Last edited:
Realizing that the Helios likely doesn’t sound as good as this on it’s own. Your article was excellent but I found it odd that the 3 applied ‘fixes’ (bass cut, input level boost and post mic eq) weren’t disclosed in the original write up since the focus of the piece was how to properly utilize the amp’s own EQ (especially the mid control) to correct any shortcomings. The impression I got was the amp can get there (the sound of your recording) by itself.
I don’t know, I had one and thought it sounded very good, especially for a non-vintage amp, just not as good to me as some Cameron modded Marshall’s I had at the time, so I sold it. I’d bet it could be recorded to do it justice without any of those post mods. I’ve heard plenty of clips on YT that gave a decent sense of the amp

I don’t know, I had one and thought it sounded very good, especially for a non-vintage amp, just not as good to me as some Cameron modded Marshall’s I had at the time, so I sold it. I’d bet it could be recorded to do it justice without any of those post mods. I’ve heard plenty of clips on YT that gave a decent sense of the amp

It's weird... I played a Helios years ago and hated it. I thought it was too tame, dark, bland, and generic sounding. But I got one a few months ago and love it. It can get almost as aggressive as my Jose, which is up there with the likes of a Cameron or Fortin. With a simple NFB tweak, I bet you'd like it.

Speakers are also a huge variable. I'm using Creamback 75H and it rips.

Wish Bogner made more nice ptp amps besides the Helios & Telos. Imo their 2 best amps tonally that they still have (still because of no more OG Uber). The Telos is very overlooked imo for a JTM45-ish vibe

The Helios is PCB ;) The photos are deceiving, but that's a circuit board, not a turret board.

It's weird... I played a Helios years ago and hated it. I thought it was too tame, dark, bland, and generic sounding. But I got one a few months ago and love it. It can get almost as aggressive as my Jose, which is up there with the likes of a Cameron or Fortin. With a simple NFB tweak, I bet you'd like it.

Speakers are also a huge variable. I'm using Creamback 75H and it rips.
I’ve played a bunch of Helios’s and never found any to sound that way. They all to me sounded organic, raw with a great midrange growl like a good vintage jmp2204/opposite of a Wizard sound. I’m not a tech guy at all, so can’t follow you there lol, but would be interesting to hear the difference with the NFB tweak. I didn’t like the Fortin’s I’ve played much (Meshuggah & Natas), but all the Cam mods I’ve had sounded great

The Helios is PCB ;) The photos are deceiving, but that's a circuit board, not a turret board.
Ah ok I heard others say it was ptp and just took their word for it lol. Never looked inside it or of pics inside. I’m not a tech guy. I just judge the way they sound. Maybe the Telos isn’t either then, but I thought that one sounded really good too. Either way those 2 models I’d guess must have something different going on in there vs other Bogner’s to sound so much more raw & organic like a vintage amp over the more smooth, polished, blander sound their other amps have. To me the Helios & Telos don’t at all sound like Bogner’s. I remember them actually sounding Marshall-y

Last edited:
Awesome post!! I recall posting something years ago under the Bogner subforum about how the Bogner EQs are (commonly) actively "deductive" rather than the usual "additive". Turning one down turns another one up, and vice versa. The mids have always been a magical knob on the face of Bogner amps (as has the presence!!)

KEEP SMASHING IT!!!! 🤩🤘🤘

this is Helios 100W, with channel mod

Attachments

• 0AF18CD0-7303-411E-B8AC-C933F2089386.jpeg
    0AF18CD0-7303-411E-B8AC-C933F2089386.jpeg
    910.9 KB · Views: 60
  • A7F18E3C-8911-4140-BB46-E6560BF3B045.jpeg
    A7F18E3C-8911-4140-BB46-E6560BF3B045.jpeg
    867.4 KB · Views: 60
The Uber is the Bogner amp that’s got the strangest eq. The presence circuit uses an inductor that makes it behave so strangely compared to most other amps. Most of the other Bogners I’ve owned or played have a tone stack that behaves more like a Marshall, some of the frequencies might be a little different though.

Back