Load Noise

TTerror

Plunged in and bought 1987x Marshall...getting some of the best tones in my life with Torpedo, finally!

One thing that annoys me is the load noise, have to conceal Torpedo behind the amp to make it less apparent but still if not playing bit louder it can be heard over, like a fuzzy horrible overtone that kills my perfect Marshall crunch. :no: Now I am considering in to masking it with some sort of cabinet or rack case.

I know it is a normal design thing, but do you think that producing noiseless loads will ever be possible, I am curious what are the limitations? Is the noise some sort of internal vibration that just gets louder as more signal comes through?

The noise comes from the inductive parts of the loadbox, which behave, as all inductive parts, like a speaker. Of course the membrane is not there, but the effect that would cause the membrane to move in a typical speaker is still there, and still interacts with other parts of the component, components nearby, chassis, and so on. You all know the occasional whistling power supply for your phone (or other equipment), it's basically the same effect. But the phone power supply handles only a few Watts, whereas the loadbox handles way more than that.

It's technically possible to design a totally silent loadbox, but it's more complicated and requires more space (I'm not sure it could fit in 1U). Both of which will lead to a more bulky and expensive product.

Another solution is to use the resistive mode of the Torpedo Studio, but this has an impact on the sound that some may find unwanted.

Back