Lone Wolf Tube Amps Fat Glass II Overdrive Pedal Review

JayhawkNavy02

Quick review on a peddle I'm exceptionally happy with. No financial interest, just a great product in my opinion from a local company in San Diego that previously focused on amp repair.

I tried an Ibanez TS-9, Ibanez TS-808, Boss BD-2 and Fulltone OCD. We tested several guitar / amp combos (Jackson Custom Soloist, Fender American Ultra Stratocaster, Fender Standard Telecaster, Carvin CT3, Heritage H-575) with various amps (Egnator Rebel 30, Fender Supersonic, Boss Katana Mk II 50w, DV Mark Jazz, vintage Fender Princeton along with a Fender Frontman and Fender Champion 20 for laughs. That said, none of the standard overdrive/tube screamers excelled at an "edge of breakup" or had the flexibility of delivering an analog signal that even made inexpensive solid state amps sound good like the Lone Wolf Amps Fat Glass II. The Lone Wolf Fat Glass also has a mid boost for humbuckers, which is a great feature. The Fat Glass II uses a real cathode ray tube to generate an analog signal using a small transformer at real tube amp voltages. The other overdrives (TS-9, OCD, TS-808, BD-2) don't have that something extra, and we found a simple swap of the tube to modify the tone added a lot of flexibility and really changed the sound. I like the Mullard 12AX7 with hum buckers and the EHX with single coils in the neck position or the JJ tube as a compromise/in between. It even sounds great when driven by another tube screamer into the amp for even more gain (TS-9 probably did the best). What shocked me was how good it sounded with solid state amps, it brings back the warmth they’re missing and the edge of breakup they lack. All the wiring is point to point, done by hand done like they did in the 50s and 60s so maintenance and repair is simple.

s-l300.jpg

YouTube Reviews - Demonstrations

Note: There is now a contour shape "Mid Boost" pull knob on the gain for the Version II which takes out a lot of fuzz you hear with hum buckers, but not in the YouTube videos.

For Giggles we took the worst amp in existence we could find (Fender Frontman) and did an Ibanez TS-808 vs Lone Wolf Fat Glass II shootout with the Jackson Custom Soloist H2H, concluding with the least metal setup possible, which was a hollow body Heritage on the Fender Frontman. Just audio and not the best, but as good as this old guy could do. I have found that I prefer the EHX 12AX7 with the Tele and Strat and the Mullard Master Valve 12AX7 with the Jackson and Carvin. The JJ 12AX7 it comes with is a middle ground and served well for all the guitars, which is why I think it ships with a fairly neutral tube. Sorry no video, basically just lazy, but it gets the idea across.

Back