Looking for a new Noise Gate to replace ISP Decimator II pedal

harddriver

My ISP either gates too hard or too soft when used in a Dime setup ala MXR 6band and Parametric EQ pushing the front end of a Randall RG100ES. Occassinally I still like to fire up the Dime setup so I would like something that gates fast on the gate and release but allows some sustaining notes to ring. So I have narrowed my search down to these choices:

Boss NS-2
DBX 266XL rack
Rocktron Hush IIC rack
Rocktron Hush Super C rack
Rocktron Guitar Silencer pedal

I don't know how well the old Rocktron stuff aged or whether is has functional issues in the used market.

Bash_Man

I my self use the Guptech Sun Gate.. works like a charm. Similar design to the Fortin Zuul. I had an NS2 and I found it affect the tone. Never tried the rocktron stuff, so I cant comment on it.

Good luck

Bash_Man

Another one that has been getting lots of positive feedback is the Revv G8 noise gate:

VH4_BigRig

Just saw this earlier today, might want to check it out, seems like the newest hot take on a gate since the Zuul:

Also for cheaper, the TC Sentry might be up your alley? Cheers

Scordare

I have used quite a few noise gates and always had the best results using 4 cable method or something that has a clean trigger input..which the regular Decimator 2 doesn’t have. The G string version would be better and I don’t recommend the NS-2..it hasn’t played well with some effects loops.

That KMA Pylon looks really cool. I am impressed by their Wurm.

glpg80

I’m in the same boat. I ran a rack ISP Prorack-G with the stereo mod which allowed you to run a sensing signal from your guitar to an input on the back and then directly out of that into the first gate setup for the front end, and a completely different gate for the loop of your amp. The downside is that it cut deep-bass frequencies on the loop side and wasn’t completely transparent at super low frequencies. It was too expensive and bulky for just front end use and so I sold it. I like my amps to breathe.

I am going with a Boss NS-2. There’s a sound to them that I like in the front end of a setup.

ners

Whatever you get make sure it can do the 3/4 cable method. The Boss NS-2 is pretty outdated technology wise and has some high end tone suck.

I sold my ISP for a Fortin Zuul+ and do not regret it at all.

Crunchtime

Just saw this earlier today, might want to check it out, seems like the newest hot take on a gate since the Zuul:

Also for cheaper, the TC Sentry might be up your alley? Cheers
I picked up a Pylon and was extremely disappointed. Seemed cool so I gave it a shot.

When it arrived I first tried it straight in last in line before my amp except for an original Decimator right after it so I could compare the two. There was a Maxon OD808 and tuner before the gates and also my guitar with Dimarzio Dominion pickups. There was some white noise/hiss that the Decimator easily erased with the threshold at less than noon. The Pylon could not remove the hiss even with the threshold maxed. I think it was actually creating it. I did not think to do so but should have removed it from the signal chain to verify. Btw, this test was with the Pylon's boost not engaged.

Next I added the Pylon to my JP2C using the 4 cable method. To remove normal noise I had to crank the threshold to a point where it was choking my sustain and notes were dying out on finger slides. My GUP Tech Guul has no such problems in 4 cable method and seems extremely superior to the Pylon in my rig.

Regarding the boost and low cut, it is a cool idea and worked but I still preferred the results of using an OD to tighten things up.

Pylon on it's way back. Too bad, seemed like a cool idea. Maybe mine was defective, idk.

Detroit1973

My ISP either gates too hard or too soft when used in a Dime setup ala MXR 6band and Parametric EQ pushing the front end of a Randall RG100ES. Occassinally I still like to fire up the Dime setup so I would like something that gates fast on the gate and release but allows some sustaining notes to ring. So I have narrowed my search down to these choices:

Boss NS-2
DBX 266XL rack
Rocktron Hush IIC rack
Rocktron Hush Super C rack
Rocktron Guitar Silencer pedal

I don't know how well the old Rocktron stuff aged or whether is has functional issues in the used market.
Why not buy a Rocktron Rack Mount Guitar Silencer? I used to have one years ago & they work great & that's what Dime used.