Looking for a new Noise Gate to replace ISP Decimator II pedal

harddriver

My ISP either gates too hard or too soft when used in a Dime setup ala MXR 6band and Parametric EQ pushing the front end of a Randall RG100ES. Occassinally I still like to fire up the Dime setup so I would like something that gates fast on the gate and release but allows some sustaining notes to ring. So I have narrowed my search down to these choices:

Boss NS-2
DBX 266XL rack
Rocktron Hush IIC rack
Rocktron Hush Super C rack
Rocktron Guitar Silencer pedal

I don't know how well the old Rocktron stuff aged or whether is has functional issues in the used market.

Just saw this earlier today, might want to check it out, seems like the newest hot take on a gate since the Zuul:

Also for cheaper, the TC Sentry might be up your alley? Cheers

I have used quite a few noise gates and always had the best results using 4 cable method or something that has a clean trigger input..which the regular Decimator 2 doesn’t have. The G string version would be better and I don’t recommend the NS-2..it hasn’t played well with some effects loops.

That KMA Pylon looks really cool. I am impressed by their Wurm.

I’m in the same boat. I ran a rack ISP Prorack-G with the stereo mod which allowed you to run a sensing signal from your guitar to an input on the back and then directly out of that into the first gate setup for the front end, and a completely different gate for the loop of your amp. The downside is that it cut deep-bass frequencies on the loop side and wasn’t completely transparent at super low frequencies. It was too expensive and bulky for just front end use and so I sold it. I like my amps to breathe.

I am going with a Boss NS-2. There’s a sound to them that I like in the front end of a setup.

Whatever you get make sure it can do the 3/4 cable method. The Boss NS-2 is pretty outdated technology wise and has some high end tone suck.

I sold my ISP for a Fortin Zuul+ and do not regret it at all.

Just saw this earlier today, might want to check it out, seems like the newest hot take on a gate since the Zuul:

Also for cheaper, the TC Sentry might be up your alley? Cheers

I picked up a Pylon and was extremely disappointed. Seemed cool so I gave it a shot.

When it arrived I first tried it straight in last in line before my amp except for an original Decimator right after it so I could compare the two. There was a Maxon OD808 and tuner before the gates and also my guitar with Dimarzio Dominion pickups. There was some white noise/hiss that the Decimator easily erased with the threshold at less than noon. The Pylon could not remove the hiss even with the threshold maxed. I think it was actually creating it. I did not think to do so but should have removed it from the signal chain to verify. Btw, this test was with the Pylon's boost not engaged.

Next I added the Pylon to my JP2C using the 4 cable method. To remove normal noise I had to crank the threshold to a point where it was choking my sustain and notes were dying out on finger slides. My GUP Tech Guul has no such problems in 4 cable method and seems extremely superior to the Pylon in my rig.

Regarding the boost and low cut, it is a cool idea and worked but I still preferred the results of using an OD to tighten things up.

Pylon on it's way back. Too bad, seemed like a cool idea. Maybe mine was defective, idk.

My ISP either gates too hard or too soft when used in a Dime setup ala MXR 6band and Parametric EQ pushing the front end of a Randall RG100ES. Occassinally I still like to fire up the Dime setup so I would like something that gates fast on the gate and release but allows some sustaining notes to ring. So I have narrowed my search down to these choices:

Boss NS-2
DBX 266XL rack
Rocktron Hush IIC rack
Rocktron Hush Super C rack
Rocktron Guitar Silencer pedal

I don't know how well the old Rocktron stuff aged or whether is has functional issues in the used market.
Why not buy a Rocktron Rack Mount Guitar Silencer? I used to have one years ago & they work great & that's what Dime used.

Back