Looking for EVH 70's Greenbacks, dumb questions.

Sorry for these basic questions but I'm in the market for those greenback's Ed used in the 70's.
What am I looking for exactly? Or what should I avoid?
I know they're 25w but I hear stuff like pre-rola and something about the cone construction that's specific to these.

I also understand Creambacks were '73 to '76 and the Blackbacks were from '76 to '78.
So would these be worth considering? I'm wondering if those greenback's are difficult if not impossible to come by.
Or would Scumback have something similar enough again that's worth considering?

Anyways, some kind of cheat sheet would be great. Thanks.

The modern, Chinese reissue Greenbacks sound pretty good man. Unless you're an EVH fanatic looking to recreate something specific, I'd save your money and your time and just get some new ones.

But... if you're wondering, the ones you're looking for are probably G12M-25 Greenbacks. Not sure about the cone codes and all that, someone else will probably chime in.

Blackbacks are said to be more aggressive. But I don't know how much faith I put into that. They are the same speaker, just with a different color magnet cover. From what I hear, they ran out of green dye or something so they used black instead. Maybe there are other differences, I don't know.

I have a pair of 2015 Greenbacks and a pair of 1978 Blackbacks in the same Marshall cab (all basically the same G12M-25).

The Blackbacks do sound more "aggressive" than the newer Greenbacks, but I believe only because the Blackbacks have several decades of use on them versus the nearly brand new Greenbacks. There definitely is a difference between them, but I couldn't explain why. Older speakers typically sound better anyway because they've been fully broken in and then some.

You can find cabs loaded with them. I just got an early/mid '70s Marshall 4x12 with two '71 Greenbacks, a '73, and a '74. Got it from Guitar Center online for $499. One of the '71s is bad but I still feel OK getting 3 good greenies and a solid, good condition '70s cab for that.

You'll need to be familiar with Celestion date codes which are easy to find, T-numbers, and cone stamps. The ones I have say T1221 on the basket (in addition to date code) and 102-3 stamped on the cones. Many times they don't have the green/cream/black cover at all. Only one of four in my cab had the greenback.

EDIT: I wouldn't set my sights on pre-Rola. That's gonna get real expensive.

SpiderWars":3ivz870z said:
You can find cabs loaded with them. I just got an early/mid '70s Marshall 4x12 with two '71 Greenbacks, a '73, and a '74. Got it from Guitar Center online for $499. One of the '71s is bad but I still feel OK getting 3 good greenies and a solid, good condition '70s cab for that.

You'll need to be familiar with Celestion date codes which are easy to find, T-numbers, and cone stamps. The ones I have say T1221 on the basket (in addition to date code) and 102-3 stamped on the cones. Many times they don't have the green/cream/black cover at all. Only one of four in my cab had the greenback.

This may be a dumb question, but what's the deal with the pre-Rola stuff? Why is it so sought after, and is it really that good?

The pre Rola stuff is what most artists used to record classic LPs back in the day, and they're supposed to sound more creamy if you will. If you find one the cab is 2K on up. There are 2 Marshall 425 cabs at gc. Com, 449 I believe. They have G12C greenbacks, supposed to be a recreation of a particularly good pre Rola. They are found only in the Hendrix/VM cabs, and are 200 apiece if you want them from Marshall. Can't get them from Celestion. I have a 425a and it's a great cab.

eddie-van-halen-marshall-super-lead-model-1959-100w-plexi.jpg

17128900908_a697d22f78.jpg

Ed went thru alot of cabs in the early days.

Some of his first cabs had 20 watt G12M's like Hendrix used to blow up.

SpiderWars":20ubqh6a said:

How do you know if their pre-rola? By the codes?
I guess that's the thing, I'm not necessarily looking for these because of cost but if someone was selling you'd want to be able to verify.

Basically the cone material changed shortly after Celestion switch to the "Rola" labels. The "pre-Rola" G12Ms will have the Pulsonic cones. Some of the Rola ones will too, but you have to check the cone codes. I assume the Pulsonic cones sound different, but so does moving the microphone an inch or standing in a different spot relative to your cab or having cones with different levels of break in.

-get the EVH CELESTION's-(check the archives, lots of great info on these speaker's, like they're labeled 20w just for show, but are actually a 25w-(or more like 30w)-speaker,.. there the exact same speaker as the HERITAGE,...except cheaper)-

-there a recreation of the old 20w GREENBACK's ED,... and everybody else used,.... for the only reason being that, that's what was available!!,.. in the 78 GUITAR PLAYER article ED was a "picker" and would grab the older cabs not so much for tone, but because they were cheap!!!

-the above mentioned HENDRIX or VM G12C's are also a great speaker,..... again voiced to that era,.. if you wanna get into the history of the ROLA/MUELLER coned CELESTION's BYGONE TONES has a ton of info on his site.... cool dude to do buisness with as well

-yeah,yeah, i know,... wrong forum but i have a pair of 77 BLACKBACK's -(16ohm)- that i want to trade for-(ideally 8ohm BLACKBACK's) some 8ohm BLACK/GREEN/GREY/CREAM-BACK's...... just sayin......

TheWhiteShadow":1w5rx34b said:
sg guy":1w5rx34b said:
-get the EVH CELESTION's.

So the new ones he uses now?
I understand many people don't like his tone now, are you saying in this case the speakers are fine but not the amp?
I never heard that, but he does play with a crapload more gain nowadays..after all it is a Stealth head..people that have heard him lately seem to like the tone.. :confused:

Racerxrated":2vhbywa9 said:
TheWhiteShadow":2vhbywa9 said:
sg guy":2vhbywa9 said:
-get the EVH CELESTION's.

So the new ones he uses now?
I understand many people don't like his tone now, are you saying in this case the speakers are fine but not the amp?
I never heard that, but he does play with a crapload more gain nowadays..after all it is a Stealth head..people that have heard him lately seem to like the tone.. :confused:

Yeah that's true, it's much better these days. I guess I was comparing the old tone to the new one overall.

There's a million threads out there discussing VHI/II tone and how to get it..plexi/JMP NMV and a greenback cab is a good start.

Back