Looking for Medium Sharp Pick with Grip

McLeanAB

Hey all,

Haven't been on in a while, but curious... my favorite pick of late is the Cool Pick medium with their Beta grip... love the grip and feel and have been using it for several years.

https://reverb.com/item/14651215-co...bonate-skin-bi-flex-accu-grip-set-of-10-picks
Then a year ago or so, I started experimenting and started to really dig these by Dunlop:

https://reverb.com/item/294548-dunlop-guitar-picks-12-pack-tortex-sharp-88mm-412p-88
BUT, I can't seem to find a sharp pick, with a grip of some sort, that is of similar size to the Dunlop above... jazz picks, yes, but I find them to be a little too small...

Anyone know of a Sharp Medium pick with a grip that is the same size as the Dunlop above? The Jeff Loomis, but I think it only comes in one thickness...

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

p.s. a little Saturday diddy... enjoy!

You can have a look at Dunlop Flow picks. I quite like them as an option to Tortex picks and my fellow guitarist uses them exclusively.

I don’t like those big, deep triangular sharp picks but I do like the Dunlop Flows a lot. They seem made of the same material as those little Jazz III Primetone pickups they make. They have a brighter attack that I like but still sound full. Depending on the guitar and everything I switch between the .88, 1 and 1.5mm sizes. They also make a Tortex Flow that I like as well. Feels more like a regular pick shape but has that point on the end that adds some bite to the sound and allows you to choke up on it for those little precise pick movements while still having the bigger, fuller pick sound.

I will say I have a couple guitars that sound or feel a certain way that I tend to prefer using the little pointy Jazz III picks with, but I always hated the sound of the nylon Jazz picks. The Tortex Jazz III they have now is great. I find the 1 or 1.14mm sizes give a sound close to using a big .88mm Tortex pick.

Hey all,

Haven't been on in a while, but curious... my favorite pick of late is the Cool Pick medium with their Beta grip... love the grip and feel and have been using it for several years.

https://reverb.com/item/14651215-co...bonate-skin-bi-flex-accu-grip-set-of-10-picks
Then a year ago or so, I started experimenting and started to really dig these by Dunlop:

https://reverb.com/item/294548-dunlop-guitar-picks-12-pack-tortex-sharp-88mm-412p-88
BUT, I can't seem to find a sharp pick, with a grip of some sort, that is of similar size to the Dunlop above... jazz picks, yes, but I find them to be a little too small...

Anyone know of a Sharp Medium pick with a grip that is the same size as the Dunlop above? The Jeff Loomis, but I think it only comes in one thickness...

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

p.s. a little Saturday diddy... enjoy!

I started using attack picks. They have a nice tight attack like the name implies. Very good for death metal or other fast trem picking or massive downstrokes
https://attakpik.com/products/stealth-2-0?variant=41792070222020

Thanks for the suggestion so far!

I've tried the Flows, but they are just a hair too small... the size of the Dunlop Sharp is PERFECT... the back end feels like a 'normal' pick, with enough space to accommodate my fingers (with a bit of movement as I play and do different things - whereas the jazz picks, because they are small, I tend to feel like I'm falling off the edge of the couch), but the sharp point is long enough to dig into the string...

The Windspear and Attack picks are so thick!!!

Grip is a huge problem for me too... pick is always flipping around on me due to my skin being more dry. most of the picks I like by Dunlop ( also sharp but not small body) just get too slippery once the logo wears away. I am almost thinking of some rough coating that could be applied to them which would replicate a logo. I think dimebag used to razor blade grooves into his picks too didn't he? My buddy caught one back in the day and I think it had the grooves if I remember.

Reactions: fek
ive been using snarling dogs with the skateboard tape style grip for 20 years at least now

iu

Thanks for the suggestion so far!

I've tried the Flows, but they are just a hair too small... the size of the Dunlop Sharp is PERFECT... the back end feels like a 'normal' pick, with enough space to accommodate my fingers (with a bit of movement as I play and do different things - whereas the jazz picks, because they are small, I tend to feel like I'm falling off the edge of the couch), but the sharp point is long enough to dig into the string...

The Windspear and Attack picks are so thick!!!
For Winspear, I get the 1mm thick picks, not too thick. I tried the thicker ones and didn’t like them.

You could also use the Tortex TIII .88mm. They are Similar to the standard tortex .88mm but with a pointed tip. That's what i use currently after switching from 1.00mm nylon ones.

shopping

Grab some 80-120 grit sandpaper and rub the picks on each side (on the flat side). Also a great way to change the shape of your picks by taking the picks shoulders down.

Get an ultex sharp and take sandpaper to where you hold it. I have tried many of the high end picks people are raving about and I always come back to the ultex sharp. It’s a bitchin pick.

Back