Love AFD, please no more nightrain

keith2112

OK, I've been checking out every clip from the early ones done by Slash to the early ones done by the southpaw player Marshall parades out to the ones by new owners who just got the amp. The amp rocks. I'm no Slash fan and can't stand G&R mainly due to the singer's voice. The amp is probably the best thing Marshall has done since the old 2203 master volume pre JCM800 amp. However, PLEASE cut some slack on the nighttrain song. I think I now know that riff simply because everybody and his brother who has played the amp seems to have an irisistable urge to play that song. The amp does soung so good, I'm selling my JCM800 2203x to buy one.

I'LL BE LOADED LIKE A FRIEGHT TRAIN
FLY'IN LIKE AN AEROPLANE......
Ooooops, sorry could'nt help myself. :LOL: :LOL:

There is a reason for that.. Slash apparently said that Nightrain has the "tone" that defines that whole album. That, and it is an amazing song.. if you think about it though, there aren't a hell of a lot of songs to choose from seeing as that was their best album. Maybe some My Michelle or Out to get me would be cool..

Rocket Queen is the best song on a great CD, but Night Train and Mr Brownstone are both catchy too. Think About You is another great tune.

I'll get bashed here for this for sure, but I think AFD is over rated period. I much prefer UYI 1&2 and always have. The songwriting is better IMO with more variety, depth and lasting power. If I hear ANY song from AFD again it'll be too soon. (although I do love Slash's lead on Sweet Child)

AFD was an important rock album and is a classic, but it's been beaten into the ground and then some. They really hit their peak IMO during the Illusion albums. Someone play the solo from "The Garden" or "Estranged" for a change. Those are brilliant leads.
Bash away! :boxer: :LOL: :LOL:

Mudder":36vkro43 said:
Rocket Queen is the best song on a great CD, but Night Train and Mr Brownstone are both catchy too. Think About You is another great tune.

Rocket Queen is my pick No.1 off that release - hands down... It has a bit of everything in it, and it kicks ass :thumbsup:

I know I highly doubt I'll purchase this amp... Simply because I'm not that much of a fanboi of signature stuff; but oddly enough, I LOVE Slash's tone...I seriously, 100% love it. One of my all time faves.

But that doesn't mean I wanna sound like that. So it goes.

V.

glassjaw7":11m8x6cb said:
I'll get bashed here for this for sure, but I think AFD is over rated period. I much prefer UYI 1&2 and always have. The songwriting is better IMO with more variety, depth and lasting power. If I hear ANY song from AFD again it'll be too soon. (although I do love Slash's lead on Sweet Child)

AFD was an important rock album and is a classic, but it's been beaten into the ground and then some. They really hit their peak IMO during the Illusion albums. Someone play the solo from "The Garden" or "Estranged" for a change. Those are brilliant leads.
Bash away! :boxer: :LOL: :LOL:

I agree that the Illusion albums are underrated... I don't think Appetite is necessarily overrated. It's just the album that the general public associate most with Gn'R... It's like their "Dark Side of The Moon".

Rezamatix":11m8x6cb said:
I personally liked "it's so easy" the most off that album, but hey I don't want slash tone, I am more into an Izzy amp, where is that?

%27t_Cry_004_0001.jpg

Night Train is one of fav's from them :LOL: :LOL:

I wouldn't sell a 2203x to get an AFD personally, but I wouldn't mind snagging one to try down the road once they filter down into the used market.

I hate that song, I think we just played it too much back then.
The rest of AFD I like

It's So Easy is my fav. AFD is not overrated, and the UYL records are extremely underwhelming.

Rezamatix":7focr25a said:
I personally liked "it's so easy" the most off that album, but hey I don't want slash tone, I am more into an Izzy amp, where is that?

Mesa MK III for Izzy on AFD

Actually, AFD would be my desert island album. I could listen to Rocket queen, Nightrain, Welcome to the Jungle a million more times and still be blown away by the hooks and the way Slash digs into those leads. I also love Steven Adler's drumming on that album. That is the big diff. between AFD and the Illusion stuff. No Adler, no raw G n R.. too much Axl going in the direction of chinese democracy early on in G n R's career! ;)

I had a band break up over agruing about what tune to play off of that album.

I was in 5th grade when that came out and I seriously dont know anyone that didnt own it back then. AFD fuckin rules.

Unfortunately none of my local shops have had an AFD amp to check out. Really want to plug into one

My JCM800 2203x really lacks gain. When I use an OCD or lately a Rockbox Boiling point the amp comes alive and is very dynamic. I do like the EL34s. I'm thinking the AFD in the non AFD voicing will embrace pedals well. Then, I can use the AFD voicing for the gain tones. I didn't realize there was so much love out there for these guys. I'm not into signiture stuff either, but I doubt I can cleanly get that insignia off of the amp. Have you guys checked out the clips on youtube? The amp rocks. It reminds me of that old Marshall brown sound. I think Scott Splawn is the only other guy out there who is building anything that sounds like this today. I'll likely dial it in more like the older guy who does the 10 minute clip who gets almost Dumple like Santana type tones out of this thing. Check it out.

Back