Lynch 1989-90

What’s this new ‘Lynch Mod’ thing?

giphy.gif

Yeah man, I think most of us agree on what a legend George is for sure. After Randy passed... George really took the torch and with Dokken became THE breakout hero of the mid to late 80's for that style of playing.
I heard somewhere that George took over teaching for Randy in his room when Randy left to tour with Ozzy. Anybody else hear that?

I heard somewhere that George took over teaching for Randy in his room when Randy left to tour with Ozzy. Anybody else hear that?
Lynch taught @ Delores Rhoads studio for sure, not positive about the time frame but yours sounds plausible.

I know Lynch was passed over twice auditioning for the Ozzy gig.
2nd time Jake got it.
First audition IDK if it was before or after Rhoads death.
Had to be before because i saw Dokken with George in 1982.

First audition was when Randy got the spot. George said his "consolation prize" was that he ended up teaching at Randy's mom's studio when Randy joined Ozzy. Second audition was after Randy passed away, and he actually had the job for a bit. I used to own the guitar George used for one of the auditions, it was a green and yellow bengal made around the time of his orange one. Sharon hated the color and said it looked like a "booger" and it became known as the booger bengal after that (it also showed up in Dokken's Breaking the Chains video briefly as the guitar with the chain strings).

Some other related fun history...he joined the Ozzy team for a bit thinking he was going to be playing with them soon, and Dokken was also convinced they had lost George. They got Warren DeMartini to leave Ratt and Warren took George's spot in Dokken. Shortly thereafter George found out Ozzy was going with Jake instead, but with Warren having taken his place, he ended up joining Ratt since they had just lost Warren. The switch was short lived and they decided it was better to go back to their old bands.

First audition was when Randy got the spot. George said his "consolation prize" was that he ended up teaching at Randy's mom's studio when Randy joined Ozzy. Second audition was after Randy passed away, and he actually had the job for a bit. I used to own the guitar George used for one of the auditions, it was a green and yellow bengal made around the time of his orange one. Sharon hated the color and said it looked like a "booger" and it became known as the booger bengal after that (it also showed up in Dokken's Breaking the Chains video briefly as the guitar with the chain strings).

Some other related fun history...he joined the Ozzy team for a bit thinking he was going to be playing with them soon, and Dokken was also convinced they had lost George. They got Warren DeMartini to leave Ratt and Warren took George's spot in Dokken. Shortly thereafter George found out Ozzy was going with Jake instead, but with Warren having taken his place, he ended up joining Ratt since they had just lost Warren. The switch was short lived and they decided it was better to go back to their old bands.
Juan Croucher toured with Dokken in Germany in the early days too.
I used to know all this stuff real good.
I must be getting old.
Hard to believe "Breaking the Chains" was 39 years ago.

Here’s a video I shot 10 years ago

Wow!!!! I have to admit that Geroge never really hit home for me. I think he is an amazing guitar player but just never had the magic...until this video! That is probably my favorite live cut of his playing. Thanks for the share!!!

Wow!!!! I have to admit that Geroge never really hit home for me. I think he is an amazing guitar player but just never had the magic...until this video! That is probably my favorite live cut of his playing. Thanks for the share!!!
Yes for sure! It was like he was back playing a venue for 50 thousand people! That’s the playing that Inspired me. I see him in random clips and sounds like he’s plucking a country song. I appreciate all he’s done. My all time guitar favorite. 😎

With the right vocalist George smokes and i still dig the vibe of the music. Wish he wouldn't go for as smooth of a tone now but whatever, he writes non stop and there is so cool stuff happening for sure. Really cool solo on the edge machine tune but damn george, don't be afraid of gain. It is almost like he has committed to using juuuuust enough.

The Lynch mod is pretty cool, there is a production model now on PCB that runs 199$ which is reasonable. Implemented a few changes which some of us had mentioned like a sort of tight/bass switch to help control the boominess. The Lynch mod is essentially a pot which allows you to dial in the gain. It's raw, sounds cool. I haven't picked on up yet as really, stepping on an OD is just as easy and satisfying.

PS- what a horrible "fight" scene in the video that they used. lol. Utter nonsense for anyone who knows how to throw a punch.

Back