Magnitude 6.0 Earthquake Only 10km Deep 100km from Monkey

Monkey Man

Super Moderator
Yikes! Very-unusual for Australia.

Strongest I've ever felt here. Longest too; it dragged on-and-on. Just prayed, as you do.

Shaken but not-stirred. :LOL:

About 15 years ago I was standing outside of a Jiffy Lube getting the oil changed in my car and talking on my phone when all of the sudden beneath my feet the ground felt hollow like a subway was running under it. As quickly as it happened, it disappeared.

I went inside and was like "did anyone feel that?" and they said "No." Well, a little bit later apparently a bunch of people felt it. Looks like there was a magnitude 5 with the epicenter about three hours to the west. Pretty crazy.

Pretty trippy and I guess pretty rare for AUS

Do you ever look at any of those earthquake tracker sites? I always find that interesting. It is amazing how many earthquakes there are every single day. I live near the New Madrid fault here in mid US. A few years ago, I went to my cabin without being there for a few weeks and some things were shaken off the walls and were on the floor. It was just a 3.0 popper that I didn't even feel at home.

I lived through the 1971 San Fernando Earth Quake .
My Dad had to work on one of the Dams in the area, because it was about to burst.

A few days before, my Mom told my Dad, that we were going to have an Earthquake, he laughed at her . She told him, "You're from Texas / Oklahoma, you know when a tornado is going to come, so don't doubt me" . She had him dig out the tent to put up in our back yard .

For days, animals were acting up, the dogs were acting up, ants were abandoning their colonies, taking their larvae out and moving the to more solid ground . Jewish Beetles / " Earth Babies ", dug themselves out and were on the surface the night before .

My Dad had a month off from his Steel construction job.
Any way, the Earthquake hit before 6 am, the ground looked like waves on the sea , my Dad came flying out the house in his boxers and tee shirt .... that night, he started sleeping in the tent with us for a week .

An old brick building at my school, Florence Avenue School, had to be torn down, due to a partial collapse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_San_Fernando_earthquake

Back