Make any Papa Proud

I’m a guitar teacher and can’t get my kids to let me show them shit . This would be awesome. It’s a dad thing to them and really sucks

I want my son to play (he’s 9) had him in beginner lessons for about a year, he doesn’t love it… and it KILLS me. I feel like he’s rejecting the one thing that I REALLY want him to learn/do, and I know it’s irrational but still… just sucks.

I want my son to play (he’s 9) had him in beginner lessons for about a year, he doesn’t love it… and it KILLS me. I feel like he’s rejecting the one thing that I REALLY want him to learn/do, and I know it’s irrational but still… just sucks.
They do it to rebel

If you try to force kids to learn something they will automatically reject it. I’ve watched it repeatedly.
In this day and age, where the music is awful, and soft, and upbeat, when most kids hear something like slayer, it’s the stuff of nightmares and they find it frightening. Not all kids, but most.

Kids today really do suck . They feel entitled and it’s going to ruin the world.

I know, I’ve worked at my towns popular downtown pizza spot on and off for over 15 years now, we’ve always had a bunch of 17-21 year olds working and the decline over about the last five years or so is both sad and scary to the point I really don’t want to be around them. There is just something missing with them

See, the really messed up thing is I wanted NO part of Guitar when I was his age, my parents forced me because there was a guitar in the closet my dad tried to learn and never did, I wanted to play drums. But when I got older, I was so happy they forced me because I already had it under my fingers for a long time, I had all the basic mechanics etc, so I had a head start on all the other guys picking it up later. Idk, maybe he‘ll come around later on like I did. Then again, most kids listen to music that doesn’t even contain guitars in it anymore😟

Mine started upright bass in 6th grade. He became All-State Tennessee through high school. Then went on to percussion in jazz band at Duke. Last year came home for thanksgiving and on a whim at played with my band with no notice. He can play circles around me. I wish I had half his talent. He knows all 70-80s because of me. I helped him do something I guess. This was a pic of us playing all right now !
1668386426837.jpeg

I know, I’ve worked at my towns popular downtown pizza spot on and off for over 15 years now, we’ve always had a bunch of 17-21 year olds working and the decline over about the last five years or so is both sad and scary to the point I really don’t want to be around them. There is just something missing with them
This 100 percent true . Kids come into lessons these just do idiot and with these asshole attitudes . I been teaching 20 years and the last 5 years as yiu said has been so drastic . They even play dumb to not even try to do any work . It’s so bad

I tried dropping hints at getting my son to play guitar since he was about 4. Bought him a 1/2 scale and a 3/4 scale guitar and he never really got into it, which really bummed me out. I didn't force it because that's the last thing I want to do to him - plus I don't want to live vicariously though him as well.

This past summer though, after him learning keyboard on his own for a few months (he's 11 now), he came up to me and told me he was thinking about wanting to play guitar. Since early August he's been playing, and he just can't put the guitar down now lol. First song he wanted to learn was Mouth for War by Pantera. He's been on a kick of Metallica and Megadeth, and he's doing VERY well.

Fast forward to this year's Halloween:

PXL_20221101_004404529.jpg

I tried dropping hints at getting my son to play guitar since he was about 4. Bought him a 1/2 scale and a 3/4 scale guitar and he never really got into it, which really bummed me out. I didn't force it because that's the last thing I want to do to him - plus I don't want to live vicariously though him as well.

This past summer though, after him learning keyboard on his own for a few months (he's 11 now), he came up to me and told me he was thinking about wanting to play guitar. Since early August he's been playing, and he just can't put the guitar down now lol. First song he wanted to learn was Mouth for War by Pantera. He's been on a kick of Metallica and Megadeth, and he's doing VERY well.

Fast forward to this year's Halloween:

View attachment 144706
The strange thing is I have an older (like 20 years older)cousin that plays (sort of, he was never really good), and he tried to get his son into it when he was little and no dice, but later on (HS years) he came around and he's a pretty good player now. I'm a WAY better player than my cousin but I can't even get my kid to want to play... infuriating.

I know a couple of guys who are great players. Their dads had really nice guitars and tube amps when they were growing up and dad told them not to touch them. While they were gone the guys would sneak in and play and got better than their dads quick...

... maybe you all need to tell them not to touch your gear and they'll sneak in and do it?

Thinking about it now I took lessons when I was in kindergarten and first grade but didn’t really get serious till 12 or 13

Back