Mark IV Reissue - Thoughts?

JFUberist

Apologies as this thread may already exist. I am a noob so here goes...

I know the industry is plugged into these forums and now that Gibson has acquired Mesa Boogie, I wanted to start a dull roar from the crowd to bring back an amp that is perfect to so many.

Gibson is all about heritage and reissues.. so why not talk about what should be included in such a product.

1. Detachable power chord (duh)
2. Midi
3. Double graphic EQ (JP2C)
4. No reverb (fight me lol)
5. Not into the cab clone (let's talk)

With the unveiling of the Mark VII, my thoughts are that it's a greatest hits amp and not a distilled solution for a guitarist who plays heavy music.

Great points, JFUberist. I agree. Except I wouldn’t say it’s a greatest hits amp as that implies it’ll nail all those past amps faithfully. It’s more like a greatest hits as performed by a mediocre cover band amp.

If it's a reissue you're likely going to get a reissue with detachable power because that is required for some certifications IIRC... you're not going to get a new amp with new features. I would also be really surprised if the IV shows up in a reissue series... first one would probably be a IIC+ and a collector's amp with price tag to match.

thegame, I totally agree. It's definitely being played by a cover band. I think the feel of these newer amps with all of these features and switching detracts from the amps response. There's some two channel legacy amps out there that still sell in large numbers due to their ability to deliver feel (...and price lol)

technomancer - I can see that coming too. I just have to criticize Mesa's product road map when they approach it like a software company.. endless adding features and ignoring what made the original so great.

If it takes a John Petrucci to get us a reincarnation of a IIRC, then perhaps another artist can get us an MK IV reissue of some flavor..

If you want a mark IV tone, Mesa will just point you to the Mark V or Mark VII. Not sure which mark V models, Mesa will phase out exactly.
Likely initial response from Mesa for sure. but there's a need that's not being fulfilled. Sales numbers will point them in a direction... time will tell.

Kind of off topic, but I absolutely love the hate Mesa gets for being owned by Gibson now. It’s hilarious, because the exact opposite of what these idiots thought was going to happen, is what is/will be what’s happening. Mesa has some absolutely killer stuff lined up this year, I think many will be surprised.

Kind of off topic, but I absolutely love the hate Mesa gets for being owned by Gibson now. It’s hilarious, because the exact opposite of what these idiots thought was going to happen, is what is/will be what’s happening. Mesa has some absolutely killer stuff lined up this year, I think many will be surprised.
It's totally hilarious the judgement that passes.. negativity noise is strong.. lol

I'm stoked to see what is in store. With supply chain issues, production has been limited and I'm sure has given Randall and the company time to stew on new ideas.

If you're an insider, please do share what you can :)

A reissue of a Rev C Recto would be most welcome I would think and something I’ve not heard mentioned yet. It should retain the borderline useless clean channel of the Rev C just to match the original circuit as close as possible.

A reissue of a Rev C Recto would be most welcome I would think and something I’ve not heard mentioned yet. It should retain the borderline useless clean channel of the Rev C just to match the original circuit as close as possible.
I'm down.

People want out of production products. Prices on Reverb are completely insane.

With amp production outfits like Boutique Amp Distribution (BAD) in existence, they could totally hand them the schematics and say "Make it happen". while it would totally break the internet and people would complain (NO MATTER WHAT), I'm just not sure how many models the Petaluma facility has the capacity to manufacture.

Gibson has the money. Give me my reissues! LOL

Used Mark IIRC and IV are priced as high as brand new amps at the moment.

Making a Gibson analogy here but imagine the mark 1 reissue as a gold top reissue. Then jump toward to the mark 4, would be like a 90’s custom reissue. A 2C reissue would be like a 59 reissue if any of this makes sense.
I’d assume the reissues will come in the future as RS probably won’t be designing amps for decades to come.

I honestly don’t want to see Mesa go the Gibson route of repeatedly fucking up reissues.
I have my fingers crossed.. better than nothing happening at all. Sales direct good companies.

(whether or not Gibson is a "good" company I would like to think is still up in the air)

Making a Gibson analogy here but imagine the mark 1 reissue as a gold top reissue. Then jump toward to the mark 4, would be like a 90’s custom reissue. A 2C reissue would be like a 59 reissue if any of this makes sense.
I’d assume the reissues will come in the future as RS probably won’t be designing amps for decades to come.
That's the way I'd envision it too. As product development steers away from RS, it just seems like a logical step.

Gibson is a heritage brand. I would like to see them do it right and serve the longtime Mesa Boogie fans in the right way that would earn their respect.

Hell they might even sell more guitars if they can impress the right crowd.

I know Mesa Boogie has always been about pushing the envelope on features and functionality, it just seems that all of this has come at the expense of amp response and feel.

(Many will say this all started with the 3 Channel rectos)

It wouldn’t sound as good as the original without the old materials they were built with. It’d be as close as a JP2C is to a C+. Just get the real thing.
The "real thing" is limited, 20 years old and overpriced IMHO. Caps and other components will likely need to be replaced, thus making them refurbished, unoriginal, and frankly unreliable.

While I do like the idea of a JP2C, The purest will say it still isn't a IIC+ and they'd be right.

I'm talking true to rights reissue. A modern and respected alternative to the real thing :)

Back