Marshall 1960AV boxes are actually pretty awesome

ZEN Amps

Been a while since I owned an older cab with the Marshall labelled G12 Vintage speakers (T3897). I forgot how great they sounded.

This particular one is from the mid-00's and to my ear the V30 bite is there but in a more ear-pleasing way than what's in say our Friedman BE412 (mid 2010's Chinese models).

And the build quality is just fine. I mean Bogner, Diezel cabs etc. are great but twice the price and frankly if you're not getting good tone with a Marshall cab the problem is likely elsewhere in the chain. Unless you're running post 80's G12T-75's, then yep it's probably the cab.

Anyway thought I'd share and attempt to divert some of the talk here to tone, and away from caterpillars.

Yep, always expecting those to sound worse than they do but the speakers are great and the cabs just have such a familiar sound to them.

IMO it’s pointless going for anything lower in quality than these (if you’re in a country where they can be found fairly cheap). Hard to beat for value for money.

I have to say, the EVH 412’s are similar for me. Amazing greenbacks and the cabs sound excellent

Been a while since I owned an older cab with the Marshall labelled G12 Vintage speakers (T3897). I forgot how great they sounded.

This particular one is from the mid-00's and to my ear the V30 bite is there but in a more ear-pleasing way than what's in say our Friedman BE412 (mid 2010's Chinese models).

And the build quality is just fine. I mean Bogner, Diezel cabs etc. are great but twice the price and frankly if you're not getting good tone with a Marshall cab the problem is likely elsewhere in the chain. Unless you're running post 80's G12T-75's, then yep it's probably the cab.

Anyway thought I'd share and attempt to divert some of the talk here to tone, and away from caterpillars.
Oddly enough the best Marshall 4x12 I ever owned was a late 90's with T-75's. I hated those speakers in the past, still do but whatever it was with that cab and that speaker it sounded amazing and became my main cab for years. Like the fool I am I sold that cab when I downsized, kept two of my older 4x12's, a straight w/GB's and a slant w/V30's, neither sounded as good as that T-75 cab. Since then I am down to just one 4x12 slant and my main Bogner 2x12. Another one of those things where I let a great sounding piece of equipment go for no reason when I should have sold the others.

They are the best in my opinion , and my favorite speakers personally . I truly believe the reason they have a bigger sound and more low end than my Mesa cabs is because they ARENT overbuilt and tight like a recto cab . Allows it to breathe much better . I’m glad to see Marshall cabs and speakers back on big records too.

They are the best in my opinion , and my favorite speakers personally . I truly believe the reason they have a bigger sound and more low end than my Mesa cabs is because they ARENT overbuilt and tight like a recto cab . Allows it to breathe much better . I’m glad to see Marshall cabs and speakers back on big records too.

there are so many cabs that copy the basic design, and then change something and make it worse

there are so many cabs that copy the basic design, and then change something and make it worse
Yeah I've always thought that it was never broken, yet a number of manufacturers are out to fix it. Even the lack of plywood back doesn't bother me, doesn't seem to make much difference.

Yeah I've always thought that it was never broken, yet a number of manufacturers are out to fix it. Even the lack of plywood back doesn't bother me, doesn't seem to make much difference.
Does the angl ever bother you . Or do you prefer an angled cab

Does the angl ever bother you . Or do you prefer an angled cab
Mostly for recording so not too bothered. In the room it makes a difference of course as your ears don't get stung as hard when you're close to the cab. Under the mic though it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I have a 1960AV but got it empty with the handles already T-nutted on and put 70s Creambacks in it and it is killer. I’ve been on the hunt for a 1960BV just to have one matching full stack.

Haven’t seen this one yet:

Rip out the switch, rewire with Marshall Sound Runner 10ga and put a Switchcraft DPST switch in the extra hole to go from SP to PS and profit.

Probably more to do with it being 16 ohms rather than 8 ohms. The oversized Mesa cabs sure have a lot of low end though, i've got one of those.

Back