Marshall 2555X - The Resurrection

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul Afton
  • Start date Start date
P

Paul Afton

New member
What do you do when you see the PCBs for a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555x Re-issue listed on E-Bay for only $45.00? If you like to squeeze a dollar and can't resist a challenge like me, then you hit the buy button. The seller confirmed these were working boards as he only removed them because his client wanted to gut his and go full handwired.
E-Bay Purchase.png
Handwired.jpg

Assumptions:
1. Replacement Transformers would be procurable...TRUE, British Audio had both for about $300.
2. The missing small PCB for the Bias Test points would be easy to recreate using a schematic...FALSE, see next assumption re. schematics. Luckily for me Rig-Talk user Fusedbrain mentioned that he previously had to purchase the whole set of PCBs just to replace his single Volume Pot PCB. He graciously hooked me up with the Bias Board.
3. An official Marshall Schematic for the 2555X Re-issue would be readily available...FALSE, only the schematic of the original from the 1980s is available, and it's not the same. Additionally, the PCB, although quality, is double sided with a black coating making circuit tracing extremely difficult.
4. I would be able to source and build all of the fiberglass hookup wiring and figure out where all of the connections go...TRUE, because the spade terminals are covered with different color shrink wrap, it was relatively easy to figure out. Using all of the available gut shots online, I built a spreadsheet listing all terminal connections starting and ending points.
2555x Connections.JPG

5. I would be able to source all of the other bits and pieces online...TRUE, Amplified Parts had everything else I needed for $200

I picked up a blank JCM800 chassis on eBay for $80 and drilled some holes after making a template using 3/16" MDF. It's gonna be a tight fit as apparently the 2555 is about a 1/2" wider.
tempImageHlTd57.jpg
tempImagetiLkEh.jpg
tempImageAXAFLp.jpg

At this point I'm waiting for the trannies to arrive so I can line everything up and start drilling again. As of now, I'm about $700 in. I already have spare tubes, but I can already see that building a head shell is in my future.
 

Attachments

  • tempImageW5sgUw.jpg
    tempImageW5sgUw.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 2
Hey, good news!
Sounds like the bias board arrived in good shape. I haven't checked the tracking since I shipped it.
These are cool amps that sound really good right out of the box.
If you can figure out how to hook it all up, you are going to have a nice amp.
Good luck with the project 👍
 
Back
Top