Marshall Guv'nor pedal

Greazygeo":2g9j99k8 said:
thenine":2g9j99k8 said:
looks alot like the old Shredmaster
There were three different pedals....Bluesmaster I think...Guv'nor and Shredmaster.

The Guvnor was the middle of the road gain wise.

Actually the Guv'nor was the first. They replaced it with three. Bluesbreaker / Drivemaster / Shredmaster

Audiowonderland":1a8pyvfp said:
blackba":1a8pyvfp said:
I used to have an original Marshall Guv'nor, should have never have sold that pedal.

Thinking of making a GGG clone or getting one of these: http://www.wilsoneffects.com/SparklingBlue.html

Anyone have a Guv'nor or used to have a guv'nor (talking about the black one here, not the newer guv2)

I have both a black Guv'nor and a GGG clone of said Guv'nor that I built.

How does the GGG clone compare to the original Guv'nor you have?

I have the BYOC bluesbreaker clone that I like alot. I tweaked it a bit, but its a nice pedal.

blackba":2fg227p3 said:
Audiowonderland":2fg227p3 said:
blackba":2fg227p3 said:
I used to have an original Marshall Guv'nor, should have never have sold that pedal.

Thinking of making a GGG clone or getting one of these: http://www.wilsoneffects.com/SparklingBlue.html

Anyone have a Guv'nor or used to have a guv'nor (talking about the black one here, not the newer guv2)

I have the BYOC bluesbreaker clone that I like alot. I tweaked it a bit, but its a nice pedal.

I just finished the build not long ago. Have not yet had an opportunity to A/B them yet. I can say I much prefer the LED clipping to the silicone diodes though

Audiowonderland":288jhij1 said:
blackba":288jhij1 said:
Audiowonderland":288jhij1 said:
blackba":288jhij1 said:

I just finished the build not long ago. Have not yet had an opportunity to A/B them yet. I can say I much prefer the LED clipping to the silicone diodes though

I would love to hear your comparison when you get a chance to AB them. :rock:

Gainzilla":3mvjq5m4 said:
If I am correct, It was Gary Moores go to pedal and Ive hear that there is absolutely no comparison between the old and the new one, the old one SMOKES it....

Some interview I read about him he said that he had quit using it at some point.

I got to try one once, wasn't particularly impressed ...It may have been a newer one though.

Other than an old MXR distortion plus way back in the day...The Guvn'r is the only other dirt pedal I've ever used...

I used an original guv'nor this last weekend in front of a metro Plexi for rehearsal. Great great pedal. I loved it.

I didn't last long with ANY of the Marshall pedals, including the Gov'ner. Owned them all briefly.

Gainzilla":3c2tiau9 said:
If I am correct, It was Gary Moores go to pedal and Ive hear that there is absolutely no comparison between the old and the new one, the old one SMOKES it....
Yes Kage Gary first used it on the LP Still Got The Blues with the #1 prototype JTM-45 Marshall reissue head and later with his Soldano SLO-100 on the rhythm channel with the Guv'nor skicked in for leads. The title track was also the first recording using the incredible Stripe Les Paul 1959 Standard #9-2227, it was a one take recording I believe with the live band in the studio!
The old ones are worth big coin deservedly and the replacements do not make the cut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVc3n5cEWT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbJI1y0i1mk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuAVHHRlxLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prLYf_geffM
That Stripe is one of the best 1959 LP Standards I have ever heard!!
http://www.ozark-acoustic.com/GB75Moore.pdf
Atomic Playboy

Got the BYOC Chancellor pedal built and tried it last night. It has the upper mids of the marshall going on for sure. The treble is a bit touchy, can get harsh, but I really like the cut of the pedal. I compared it with my Hermida Distortion and the Hermida had a more modern sound, more thump and was thicker. The Chancellor really knifed through better. I hope to compare it to my Barber Dirty Bomb soon.

Is it just me or are pedals always hard to get a good marshall type rhythm tone. I'm talking into a clean fender type amp btw. Lead tones are a lot easier to cop with pedals IMO. Gonna see if the VS jekyll and hyde I just got can do it tonight at rehearsal and I've been happy at home with it (I think the distortion side is based on a guvnor or shredmaster) but that's not saying much in my experience. Cranked up with the band is when I usually roll my eyes at pedals for rhythm tones, maybe I'm just too used to actual amps.

'63-Strat":20e96j8m said:
Is it just me or are pedals always hard to get a good marshall type rhythm tone. I'm talking into a clean fender type amp btw. Lead tones are a lot easier to cop with pedals IMO. Gonna see if the VS jekyll and hyde I just got can do it tonight at rehearsal and I've been happy at home with it (I think the distortion side is based on a guvnor or shredmaster) but that's not saying much in my experience. Cranked up with the band is when I usually roll my eyes at pedals for rhythm tones, maybe I'm just too used to actual amps.

In general I agree, dirt pedals are generally better for leads than rhythm. Also, I really struggle to find pedals I like as the gain goes up, not many super high gain pedals that I really like. When I have my MI audio crunchbox, it was nice for leads, but for Rhythm it just lacked a full frequency response, just didn't have the bass and body. It was really apparent when comparing it to the Barber Dirty bomb, which just sounded like part of the amp.

Anyway really liking the Chancellor, I think having the added bass knob is a nice help. Its been a while since I played the J&H V1, but I do think the hyde side is somewhat Guv'norish.

One thing getting this Chancellor did for me is that it took a good number of dirt boxes I was looking to play with (Bogner, Kingsley Jouster, Wampler SLO-stortion, etc) and put them further down the list. I realized with a few knobs turns of the pedals I have, I can get a lot more sounds than I give them credit for. For example by turning the voice knob on the Hermida distortion, I could get a tone of cut, like I got on the Chancellor. I could also get a nice low end chunk by turning it way down for more of a scooped sound.

blackba":3e6rt341 said:
'63-Strat":3e6rt341 said:

In general I agree, dirt pedals are generally better for leads than rhythm. Also, I really struggle to find pedals I like as the gain goes up, not many super high gain pedals that I really like. When I have my MI audio crunchbox, it was nice for leads, but for Rhythm it just lacked a full frequency response, just didn't have the bass and body. It was really apparent when comparing it to the Barber Dirty bomb, which just sounded like part of the amp.

Anyway really liking the Chancellor, I think having the added bass knob is a nice help. Its been a while since I played the J&H V1, but I do think the hyde side is somewhat Guv'norish.

One thing getting this Chancellor did for me is that it took a good number of dirt boxes I was looking to play with (Bogner, Kingsley Jouster, Wampler SLO-stortion, etc) and put them further down the list. I realized with a few knobs turns of the pedals I have, I can get a lot more sounds than I give them credit for. For example by turning the voice knob on the Hermida distortion, I could get a tone of cut, like I got on the Chancellor. I could also get a nice low end chunk by turning it way down for more of a scooped sound.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I'm definitely interested in the Bogner pedals, if I can get my small rig sounding as close as possible to my full bogner rig, it's worth it. But we'll see, I'm skeptical how close they will get, the clips sound good but not really that much like the amps themselves IMO. And yeah it's as the gain and volume goes up that pedals really start sounding like pedals and not amps for rhythm sounds IMO. We'll see.

'63-Strat":2c2uompe said:
Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I'm definitely interested in the Bogner pedals, if I can get my small rig sounding as close as possible to my full bogner rig, it's worth it. But we'll see, I'm skeptical how close they will get, the clips sound good but not really that much like the amps themselves IMO. And yeah it's as the gain and volume goes up that pedals really start sounding like pedals and not amps for rhythm sounds IMO. We'll see.
I ran the Guv'nor into an old OR120 set clean. Used the pedal set for a JCM 800 level crunch tone....then add a tubescreamer on top for higher gain stuff. Sounded really good actually.

Someone dropped off a milk crate with cables and broken effect pedals at my house yesterday, I still do not know who, and there was this GUv'nor pedal that needs a new foot switch. I like what I read about it in this thread so that is why I revived it. Is anyone still enjoying this effect? I'm stoked to give it try in my rig for clean channel thickener and lead saturation when needed.

I will list the broken pedals here, anyone who is willing to pay shipping, they're yours.

The Gov’nor by John Bazzano, on Flickr

The Gov’nor by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Still have mine as well (original UK made, before they switched to Korea). Owned the MIK version too before; there was a small difference. The UK one was a hair smoother.
Having owned the Shredmaster and Drivemaster as well, the original Guv'nor to me was the best of the bunch. The other two are quite harsh in comparison.
I built a few Bluesbreaker clones; tweaked them for more output, as both the Guv'nor and BB don't have a lot output past unity gain (not as bad as a vintage MXR Distortion+ though) and that one is really nice for middy, creamy break-up tones or a dirty boost.

The Guv'nor fills a specific niche for medium gain, reasonably smooth crunch-rock. In comparison, the Bogner Ecstacy Blue is a lot more amp-like, FWIW.

Back