Marshall JCM 2000 thoughts?

cragginshred77

Jon Levin from Dokken gets a killer tone from his. I know these are widely used with varying opinions. Levin in a rig rundown said he put a particular tube in it to warm it up
thoughts, and or experience with one?

The newer ones have a Depth knob. The older ones had a switch.
Might have been the other gear involved. But I thought the older ones sounded a bit better.

I would really need to get them side by side to say completely.

DSLs make it very, very hard for me to justify getting into stuff like Friedmans.

I had a DSL100H (Vietnam) at the same time as a Splawn Quickrod, and the DSL I think sounded better. Less thumpy/woofy
Don't tell too many people. The price will jump. They have almost doubled in price in the last few years.
I agree. I would take them over pretty much all the amps that came from modified Marshall.

I'm pretty sure Jeff Beck still uses them.

No personal experience playing one but they sound great to me and seem pretty dang versatile. When everyone from Jeff Beck to Karl Sanders (Nile) can make it work for them, you know it can cover some serious ground.

DSLs make it very, very hard for me to justify getting into stuff like Friedmans.

I had a DSL100H (Vietnam) at the same time as a Splawn Quickrod, and the DSL I think sounded better. Less thumpy/woofy
I have a Slo30 that is insanely good but not a Marshall and a Friedman BE dlx 100

Good info tho!

I had an older DSL50 and absolutely loved it. I was a complete and total tool for selling it. I think I paid $500 for it. Green channel boosted was where it was at. God.........I'm really a tool
Now, that being said, it's tonal characteristics are not that of the SLO30, but for Marshall rock and just a general fun amp to play it's a winner.

Marshall should make their 50th anniversary series of 1 watt amps a regular year round stock item . They would sell millions and millions year in year out . Classic cranked Marshall tones at bedroom practicing volume levels .

Lets face it , 5,10,15 and 20 watt amps are all still WAY TOO LOUD for late night bedroom jamming sessions and nobody wants the extra expense of an attenuator .

The current DSL 1 watt is not in the same category and doesn't even come close to the awesomeness of the 50th anniversary 1 watt monsters .

The anniversary series was released in 2012 and they came in both head and combo versions . JTM, JMP , JCM 800, JCM 2000, and JVM versions .

The below is just a sample of the 1 watt JMP and JCM 800 versions.

Marshall should make their 50th anniversary series of 1 watt amps a regular year round stock item . They would sell millions and millions year in year out . Classic cranked Marshall tones at bedroom practicing volume levels .

Lets face it , 5,10,15 and 20 watt amps are all still WAY TOO LOUD for late night bedroom jamming sessions and nobody wants the extra expense of an attenuator .

The current DSL 1 watt is not in the same category and doesn't even come close to the awesomeness of the 50th anniversary 1 watt monsters .

The anniversary series was released in 2012 and they came in both head and combo versions . JTM, JMP , JCM 800, JCM 2000, and JVM versions .

@DanTravis62 I’m having seriously bad deja Vue right now….

I’ve had a DSL 100 since probably 2003. I think it’s from 98 or 99 (one of the bad years?). I did have to have an amp tech look at it back in probably 2004 to fix issues that I had with Lead 2 on the Red channel. He noticed some bad solder joints and fixed those. Maybe some burning too if memory serves me right. It’s been solid ever since with only tube changes and biasing required.

As far as the sound, it does the thing(s) that it does really well. It’s pretty versatile if the Marshall flavor is what you’re after. I find that it sort of has its own thing going versus the earlier Marshall models (it’s not an 800, for example). It can sound close to your favorite Marshalls, and it does its own thing well. Green channel sounds great, but it needs a boost to get to higher gain levels. I tend to like boosted Green crunch the best. Red channel is leaner sounding than Green and way higher gain. Also a great sound.

The amp works well with different speakers and cabs. I’ve also tried (probably) hundreds of IRs, and the amp isn’t as picky about speakers/cabs/mics as my Dual Rec, for example. It also likes boost pedals. My favorite with it is probably an OCD or just a clean boost, but it takes Tubescreamer style pedals well too.

Probably not the best choice for modern metal, but I’ve seen videos that prove me wrong on that assertion.

H
I’ve had a DSL 100 since probably 2003. I think it’s from 98 or 99 (one of the bad years?). I did have to have an amp tech look at it back in probably 2004 to fix issues that I had with Lead 2 on the Red channel. He noticed some bad solder joints and fixed those. Maybe some burning too if memory serves me right. It’s been solid ever since with only tube changes and biasing required.

As far as the sound, it does the thing(s) that it does really well. It’s pretty versatile if the Marshall flavor is what you’re after. I find that it sort of has its own thing going versus the earlier Marshall models (it’s not an 800, for example). It can sound close to your favorite Marshalls, and it does its own thing well. Green channel sounds great, but it needs a boost to get to higher gain levels. I tend to like boosted Green crunch the best. Red channel is leaner sounding than Green and way higher gain. Also a great sound.

The amp works well with different speakers and cabs. I’ve also tried (probably) hundreds of IRs, and the amp isn’t as picky about speakers/cabs/mics as my Dual Rec, for example. It also likes boost pedals. My favorite with it is probably an OCD or just a clean boost, but it takes Tubescreamer style pedals well too.

Probably not the best choice for modern metal, but I’ve seen videos that prove me wrong on that assertion.
How are the Master volume's on these?

Oh no…here comes the volume police again….
For the record, EVERY 50-180w amp I’ve ever owned have gotten nice tones at a low volume.
Yes, even my stock 72 SuperTrem.

Don't tell too many people. The price will jump. They have almost doubled in price in the last few years.
I agree. I would take them over pretty much all the amps that came from modified Marshall.

I'm pretty sure Jeff Beck still uses them.
They are good enough for Beck, Iron Maiden and more to tour with and leave their vintage Marshalls at home…
But they still aren’t selling their vintage Marshalls.
They are good sounding amps but aren’t good enough to replace anything I own.

Back