Marshall JCM800 2203, 82/83

  • Thread starter Thread starter BesaMoogie
  • Start date Start date
BesaMoogie

BesaMoogie

Well-known member
So, there is an 2203 from 1982 in the Classifieds section. Some of the guys were suggesting, that the years 1982-1983 were „the best“ for these amps.
So instead of hijacking the thread, maybe someone can elaborate this here?

I am aware of the changes that were made later to the 2203. But what about the amps from lets say 1981?

Cheers
 
of the horizontal input jacks.

I wouldnt hesitate buying blakes
IIRC they only did vertical inputs between those years with the pots connected to the chassis & flying leads to the board; I could be wrong though - still coming up to speed on all of this stuff.
 
That one might be good if theres clips. I bought an '83 2203 and it was probably the worst amp I've ever had.
 
I think its a dice roll with a 40+ year old amp. Looked brand new oddly enough. In contrast I had a '77 Jmp that sounded (with a pedal) exactly like early metal. Slayer even.
 
IIRC they only did vertical inputs between those years with the pots connected to the chassis & flying leads to the board; I could be wrong though - still coming up to speed on all of this stuff.
Yup! Switch them around! You’re right! Vertical is right
 
That one might be good if theres clips. I bought an '83 2203 and it was probably the worst amp I've ever had.
I think there probably are. @Bxlxaxkxe, is the 2203 you have for sale in the classifieds the same one that's in oodles of clips on your YouTube channel? If so that's a whole lotta tone up for grabs.
 
You guys care way too much about the vertical vs horizontal input thing on these amps. I've played many duds of both versions as well as some amazing examples of each as well. Any true vintage Marshall enthusiast knows and will tell you every amp is different and there are no two of the same. They are wildly inconsistent.
 
I am asking because I have an 1981 model. The only difference I notced is, that it has whitish coupling caps and not the red ones with the Iskra logo.
After `83 the filtering was changed AFAIK
 
The known change between vertical and horizontal input amps that does make a very noticeable difference is the voltages. Vertical input amps are generally in the 440-450v range and when you get to horizontal inputs they bump up to 480v or higher. So preamp voltage also goes up. So overall harder, brighter more aggressive and less gain. You can certainly use drop resisitors to lower the preamp down to the earlier voltage, but not the plate voltage. the 2204's had a huge voltage swing with early versions at 380-395v, late '82 up to 440-450v and horizontal inputs 460-480v.
 
I'd rather have higher voltages. You can always lower them. But you can't raise 'em. There are other differences here or there. But nothing too crazy.
They can go a smidge up though with modern day filter caps but that's assuming the amp was running vintage Daly stuff etc. My 1980 JMP 2204 got a slight B+ bump after the Dalys went out (which measured fine when tested) and F&T went in. Cherry picking, I know, but still ...
 
They can go a smidge up though with modern day filter caps but that's assuming the amp was running vintage Daly stuff etc. My 1980 JMP 2204 got a slight B+ bump after the Dalys went out (which measured fine when tested) and F&T went in. Cherry picking, I know, but still ...

Yeah but you're not gonna go from 380V to 480V with a cap change lol...
 
the 2204's had a huge voltage swing with early versions at 380-395v, late '82 up to 440-450v and horizontal inputs 460-480v.
Checks out. My early '82 4104 sits around 410V.
They can go a smidge up though with modern day filter caps but that's assuming the amp was running vintage Daly stuff etc. My 1980 JMP 2204 got a slight B+ bump after the Dalys went out (which measured fine when tested) and F&T went in. Cherry picking, I know, but still ...
Mmm, I'll have to track that when I swap out the originals in mine for F&T.
 
Checks out. My early '82 4104 sits around 410V.

Mmm, I'll have to track that when I swap out the originals in mine for F&T.
My early 82 2204 sits at 390v when setting the voltage selector at 220v with a wall voltage of about 230vac.

I believe that the voltage change was made in late 82 with the 2204s. Low voltage 2204s are missing the screen grid resistors, at least mine does.
 
There isn’t much difference in the tone between a JMP and a 800.
The earlier 800’s more sought after probably because they don’t have the controls attached to the board. Probably more road worthy.

I have a JMP that’s over 500 volts. I also have a modded 800 with horizontal inputs that sounds amazing.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top