Marshall Price Drop. Not sure if an April Fool's joke

The power transformers are faulty, the vietnamese output transformers actually sound great, a little more hifi to my ears, the pts have issues with mechanical hum and super low voltages for this was suppose to be, the move to cheaper labor was a botched job and I'm not surprised to see them on sale.

I can verify from 2 sitting here that that is not true for the 1959HW... IIRC Jeremy from Ground Zero has also had multiple 1959HWs with no issues. The voltages are fine for the model and no hum. Seems like the JCM800x are the ones with that issue based on the two Jason had. I'm also noticing the 800s have vanished from sites in the UK/EU so I'm wondering if they're revising them.

I can verify from 2 sitting here that that is not true for the 1959HW. The voltages are fine for the model and no hum. Seems like the JCM800x are the ones with that issue based on the two Jason had. I'm also noticing the 800s have vanished from sites in the UK/EU so I'm wondering they're revising them.
The 2023 hw has the old stock laydown Malta pt so far as weve seen, the 800 has been verified from other sources, the 87x will be the same and so will the hw after stock is gone, its all been blamed on Brexit and Covid so the scapegoat is set, if the mechanical hum is fixed the voltages are still wildy incorrect BUT ive heard they make great headphones.

I'm all Marshall but frankly this reduction is where the pricing needs to be. And this goes for some other manufacturers as well.

I love my JVM's, not looking for anything to replace them but IMO that amp should be priced where this discount is and nothing more.
I remember buying my first JVM205H for $1199 new from Zzounds. Seeing them double is nuts. $1699 is a little better.

The 2023 hw has the old stock laydown Malta pt so far as weve seen, the 800 has been verified from other sources, the 87x will be the same and so will the hw after stock is gone, its all been blamed on Brexit and Covid so the scapegoat is set, if the mechanical hum is fixed the voltages are still wildy incorrect BUT ive heard they make great headphones.

Now I'm curious and I should be opening one up in the next couple days, what's the branding on the PT for the Malta vs new one in the HW? I know it's not a Dagnall.

I had a 1960AHW 4x12 cab back in 2007. I was stupid and sold it on CL a few years later. Back when they first came out, the price was around $1200. I might pick one up for $1350. I miss that cab.

So many people have contacted me with mechanical hum/whine with their MAV 2203X. So many. You can fix it by hitting the ends with a rubber mallet or hammer, but it’s still a noisy PT. Hums like a ….

As far as the 1959HW goes I had two here, one pre MAV and one MAV and while the voltages are higher in that MAV than the MAV 2203X, it was still lower than the earlier 1959HW. These don’t have the whine because they are laydown, and don’t have the same end caps.

I think I'm going to get the DSL40CR. It is less money new than the used ones at GC. Do the new DSLs have problems with the transformers?

Still dagnall / trx , the vietnamese will be labeled "mav" meaning Marshall vietnam per Santiago.
Would love for Marshall to rehire Santiago and get themselves back on track.

There is a great thread with him over at the Gear Forum from last year. Even talks about the DLA amp (Aldrich) Marshall was working on, had artists like Bonamassa trying it out, was basically the OD1 Orange channel, a boost and a gate built in but it fell through the cracks. I would have been all over that amp as I basically use two channels on the JVM and it's based on the OD1 Orange, that would have been heaven for me in a more stripped down format. Also mentions the Jose style Marshall amp that got shelved back in 2016.

https://reverb.com/item/6897268-marshall-doug-aldrich-dla-custom-prototype-1-of-2-2009

Last edited:
I grew up with Marshall and apart from one or two models (reissues), there isn’t a new one I would buy at any price…😔

…..not even the fridge

I grew up with Marshall and apart from one or two models (reissues), there isn’t a new one I would buy at any price…😔

…..not even the fridge
I grew up with them as well. In fact my very first amp was a 50W JMP MkII Combo with blackbacks. My second a 100W JMP MkII head and my third a 50W JMP 2204 with 6550's which was my favorite of the bunch. I'd love to have every one of them back however coming back to Marshall with the JVM in '07 was like coming home, lots of those tones in that amp. But that's just me.

So many people have contacted me with mechanical hum/whine with their MAV 2203X. So many. You can fix it by hitting the ends with a rubber mallet or hammer, but it’s still a noisy PT. Hums like a ….

As far as the 1959HW goes I had two here, one pre MAV and one MAV and while the voltages are higher in that MAV than the MAV 2203X, it was still lower than the earlier 1959HW. These don’t have the whine because they are laydown, and don’t have the same end caps.

I want to say I was measuring 490 or 496 rectified on the MAV power transformer, but will follow up once I measure it again as I don't recall for sure.

Back