Marshmellow VH amp

I commented on the video a few days ago. Amp sounds great but it’s way too much gain and too controlled for early Van Halen. Eddie liked the sound of his amp on the verge of blowing up, not mild mannered and over saturated.

George’s metroplex mkii gets way way closer IMO.

It sounds way better being slaved into that Suhr Badger amp. By itself it kinda sound raspy in an AM radio kid of way was my initial reaction to it. It seems to be missing that plexi clank somewhat.....

It sounds more in line with the recorded album tone than what I hear in Ed's live 78 tour tone but Ossie has stated that was his goal building his Marshmello.

Ossie is now proposing Ed was recording somehow in a a direct manner yet we have all seen the side profile of a a 4x12 Marshall cabinet in the studio with no head on top. Were there multiple cabinets who knows?

Last edited:
I agree,
The more I listen to it.
It sounds great.
If I was going for that early coveted EVH Tone, it’d be a great amp👍

It’s a real shame Marshall doesn’t hire a guy like Ossie to build them a ‘The 12301’ amplifier to honor the EVH early tone.

They’re missing a huge opportunity.

Last edited:
I commented on the video a few days ago. Amp sounds great but it’s way too much gain and too controlled for early Van Halen. Eddie liked the sound of his amp on the verge of blowing up, not mild mannered and over saturated.

George’s metroplex mkii gets way way closer IMO.
This is what I’m hearing too. It’s a good tone but not ‘brown sound’ imo. And what we are hearing on records and boots does have some volume to it and that’s hard to replicate at such low volumes.

After hearing the Leaked Track 'Jamies Crying' Room Mic track, it demonstrates how Eds Rig was balanced with the bands volume perfectly and Al was precise and controlled, not an animal. Definately not a stock Marshall wide open.

When Ossie began this series on "The One 1" , (I'm the One The One you Love , oooooooowww Give it to Me) , he stated it was to chase the VH 1 tone on the recordings, not live. So it began. Along the way, the leaked recordings came into play for analysis. The first recording was done with an A/B left and right rip using Sunset Sound plugin from UA for the only treatment. So, here is the RWTD track, and the person went on to make other vids and also did so with a 72 Marshall 100w with a Mark Abrahamian Mod 5 that also sounds the part.

Last edited:
It sounds way better being slaved into that Suhr Badger amp. By itself it kinda sound raspy in an AM radio kid of way was my initial reaction to it. It seems to be missing that plexi clank somewhat.....

It sounds more in line with the recorded album tone than what I hear in Ed's live 78 tour tone but Ossie has stated that was his goal building his Marshmello.

Ossie is now proposing Ed was recording somehow in a a direct manner yet we have all seen the side profile of a a 4x12 Marshall cabinet in the studio with no head on top. Were there multiple cabinets who knows?

agree the amp is more preamp distorted and bright sounding than how i perceive VH tone, but the DI demonstration did sound cool.

ironically, i went to go check out the UA Lion yesterday at my friend’s music store and they had just sold it before i got there😭

I agree,
The more I listen to it.
It sounds great.
If I was going for that early coveted EVH Tone, it’d be a great amp👍

It’s a real shame Marshall doesn’t hire a guy like Ossie to build them a ‘The 12301’ amplifier to honor the EVH early tone.

They’re missing a huge opportunity.
i had a conversation with my friend yesterday who asked what VH tone was i trying to reproduce and i told him it’s not so much wanting any specific song/album as much as wanting an amp that can manifest the types of attributes eddie got from his amp/rig.

warmth, sustain, explosive dynamics without the appearance of too much front end distortion, sounding alive and balanced while comping rhythms or playing single notes, and doing so at any volume. if the amp needs to be attenuated post power tube drive and variac’ed then that should be built into said amp.

if my peacemaker, rockstah mod 5, gausted’s rig, and friedman’s plex had a baby…

i had a conversation with my friend yesterday who asked what VH tone was i trying to reproduce and i told him it’s not so much wanting any specific song/album as much as wanting an amp that can manifest the types of attributes eddie got from his amp/rig.

warmth, sustain, explosive dynamics without the appearance of too much front end distortion, sounding alive and balanced while comping rhythms or playing single notes, and doing so at any volume. if the amp needs to be attenuated post power tube drive and variac’ed then that should be built into said amp.

if my peacemaker, rockstah mod 5, gausted’s rig, and friedman’s plex had a baby…
There is a guy that Ossie mentions in his video Tim Okeefe that has a Rockstah modded 72 Marshall and a Marshmellow that is posting brownsound quest clips versus his Marshmello amp clips being slaved to a Germino HD100. Here are some his clips. I'm still hearing a slight harshness to the Marshmello tone versus the room mics clips and Ed's live tone but the basics of Ed's tone is there just a harsh version of it.

Marshamello/Germino HD100

Rockstah mod5

Last edited:
agree the amp is more preamp distorted and bright sounding than how i perceive VH tone, but the DI demonstration did sound cool.

ironically, i went to go check out the UA Lion yesterday at my friend’s music store and they had just sold it before i got there😭
I think what we hear is an amp setup trying to replicate the recorded amp tones versus what you hear in Ed's actual live amp tones from the tour. It's an cool endeavor on Ossie's part for sure.

There is a guy that Ossie mentions in his video Tim Okeefe that has a Rockstah modded 72 Marshall and a Marshmellow that is posting brownsound quest clips versus his Marshmello amp clips being slaved to a Germino HD100. Here are some his clips. I'm still hearing a slight harshness to the Marshmello tone versus the room mics clips and Ed's live tone but the basics of Ed's tone is there just a harsh version of it.

Marshamello/Germino HD100

Rockstah mod5

all nice tones and way closer to brown than i can dial with my current rack rig👍

incoming next week…

IMG_0696.jpeg

outside of the PT clip i’ve not heard any other demo of this thing get close to VH. nonetheless it does seem to reproduce a nice sounding vintage plexi vibe many people are happy with it, so figured i’d give her a proper go!

Back