Matamp style pedal choices

The hovercraft amps are cool. The one I had was pretty gainy though. Went straight to super-heavy. I recorded a little demo when I listed it for sale. Was also a bit noisey, though I still think there was a lot of bang for the buck.

This guy is a lot more let’s get down to business than the Matamp…lol
If I was doing a Kyuss tribute this amp would be killer. Is it only 20 watts?

I like what I’ve found, video wise, on the Hovercraft Falcon and Dwarvenaut but of course they don’t make them anymore…lol. I couldn’t even find a way to contact them on their webpage. I don’t do social media and it seems that’s how they do business.

This guy is a lot more let’s get down to business than the Matamp…lol
If I was doing a Kyuss tribute this amp would be killer. Is it only 20 watts?
Yeah 20 watts. Super compressed, easy to play. Definitely had plenty of push for home playing, but probably anyone playing the types of music that amp fits would want something bigger than 20 watts. But who knows, maybe in the right set up or with PA support.

How similar is this to the vintage Orange amps ?
The NMV Matamps are pretty close, but the designs shift around the locations of the FAC controls and EQ. Plus the Matamps generally have a more standard negative feedback setup than the Orange boost control. To my ear, this makes the Oranges have a more natural treble bite veering towards classic british tones where the Matamp zags into something more chest thumping and less articulate.

The hovercraft stuff I'm not sure about. I never looked inside mine as I heard the construction on them was questionable and they were mostly gooped anyways. My guess is that they are more liked tweaked Marshalls than Oranges under the hood and they generally play/sound/feel like modded Marshall style amps.

The NMV Matamps are pretty close, but the designs shift around the locations of the FAC controls and EQ. Plus the Matamps generally have a more standard negative feedback setup than the Orange boost control. To my ear, this makes the Oranges have a more natural treble bite veering towards classic british tones where the Matamp zags into something more chest thumping and less articulate.

The hovercraft stuff I'm not sure about. I never looked inside mine as I heard the construction on them was questionable and they were mostly gooped anyways. My guess is that they are more liked tweaked Marshalls than Oranges under the hood and they generally play/sound/feel like modded Marshall style amps.
Reading on the Hovercaft website was interesting. Their whole deal was re-purposing amps that otherwise might be discarded or trashed. Supposedly many a Jet City became a Hovercraft. No idea if they used the existing transformers or had ones built for them. It may be they just gutted the boards and built up their circuit inside. I certainly wouldn’t want to pay top dollar for that but it seems their amps aren’t too crazily priced. Used, they’re not bad. What I mean by that is, if they don’t have the expense of having Transformers and chassis’s built I wouldn’t expect to pay what I would for folks who make their amps from scratch. I’m not questioning the quality of how they rework the amps. Seems they’re very custom work friendly which is a plus.

I like what I’ve found, video wise, on the Hovercraft Falcon and Dwarvenaut but of course they don’t make them anymore…lol. I couldn’t even find a way to contact them on their webpage. I don’t do social media and it seems that’s how they do business.
I have contacted Nial on his Reverb store granted that was awhile ago.

Reverb :
Hovercraft Amps - art & sound since 2010

On Hovercraft instagram it appears his Portland shop has closed as of 9/16/22 and he is relocating.

I really like the range of sounds I hear in this demo of the Science Earthling. Nice to hear some guitars in regular tuning as well as lower, to get a better idea of what I would get.

Just ordered a EQD Hoof Reaper after trying a used one at GC. One of those two fuzz’s in one pedal where they can be separate or together. The one I played was used and I was about to buy it when I double checked their website and there was one for $80 cheaper. Hopefully it works..🤠

Back