Mateus Asato announces break from music

mooncobra

I was just reading an article about Mateus Asato. He said he is burnt out and lost the inspiration to play guitar. He said it’s been 3 weeks since he has touched a guitar and has no desire to. He shut down all his social media sites and said he hopes to come back.

he is 27. Hopefully it’s a short term thing and the desire returns. He is a great player. I have seen a handful of videos by him that blew my mind and many others that were awesome.

he is a session guy at the top of his game. I hope it’s nothing too bad. I had a time when I lost inspiration to play, but it was after a car accident and I was in bed for a long time. I had to have my arm rebuilt over the course of a handful of surgeries. so the frustration led to loss of inspiration and I could not have played if I wanted to. After the surgeries I had to relearn how to use my hand again. My technical level isn’t what it was before, but it’s kind of close. I don’t really care about that as long as I can play as I LOVE playing guitar. Whenever I sit down to play, I am excited and guitar seems like the most interesting thing in the world. And when you have a guitar and amp you love, oh boy, watch out. I play for hours and live every second.

But it always came roaring back. Hopefully the same happens for Mateus Asato. He will be missed by guitar fans while he is out waiting for inspiration to strike again. Good luck to Mateus.

His Instagram had over a million subscribers and he generated income from it. He shut it down. Must be pretty heavy loss of inspiration with no plans in the near future to play. That’s sad.

Yeah...kid is damn good. That's too bad. Maybe he has other shit going on that's more important at the moment, or maybe it's he needs a brake from social media? I think we all need that from time to time.

That was pretty phenomenal for sure. He'd be good for a metal band with those chops.

What does that even mean? Metal guitar is so boring and played out. What you should be saying is "thank God he doesn't play metal, because we actually get to hear cool stuff"

The burn-out is also real. I can say that after about 20 years of going hard at it, one day came around that I suddenly just didn't care. I'd had all the gear that I really cared to get, played in bands. The youthful enthusiasm is long gone. I've cut back from 20+ guitars and a half dozen amps to one amp, a couple preamp pedals, and 2 guitars, and that is most fulfilled I've ever been by my gear.

What does that even mean? Metal guitar is so boring and played out. What you should be saying is "thank God he doesn't play metal, because we actually get to hear cool stuff"

The burn-out is also real. I can say that after about 20 years of going hard at it, one day came around that I suddenly just didn't care. I'd had all the gear that I really cared to get, played in bands. The youthful enthusiasm is long gone. I've cut back from 20+ guitars and a half dozen amps to one amp, a couple preamp pedals, and 2 guitars, and that is most fulfilled I've ever been by my gear.
Long live rock, about 50 years or so ago The Who wrote....... It may be boring to you, but metal is still getting better than ever, IMO.

at least Metal players have the balls to face life and music is infinite no matter which style you play

Yeah...kid is damn good. That's too bad. Maybe he has other shit going on that's more important at the moment, or maybe it's he needs a brake from social media? I think we all need that from time to time.

This.....sounds like there's probably more to the story than he's letting on. Walking away from something like that is not something you just do on a whim.....

I always found his video boring to listen. From wikipedia seem he toured with some artist and did clinics, but not written any music?

I always found his video boring to listen. From wikipedia seem he toured with some artist and did clinics, but not written any music?
You don’t get a signature model from Suhr by being a boring guitarist. Perhaps you haven’t seen some of his good clips online? Too bad he took his Instagram down because there was INSANE guitar playing on there. Try YouTube? He is a great player.

at least Metal players have the balls to face life and music is infinite no matter which style you play

Ah, I see!

?

I would argue almost the complete opposite. A lot of "metal" guys, specifically musicians who gravitate to that genre, are specifically the people who don't face life. They wither in their delusion of rock stardom until long past their expiration dates. I mean I get it. They have dedicated their whole life to a craft and they don't want to be called a quitter. So they rot away in squalor, with mountains of equipment, no transferable skills, no prospects. No life.

There is more exciting things on this spinning rock than wires & wood.

As for The Who, best band of that generation! Good thing the guitar player didn't have the best chops, or they might have become some lame-ass metal band! :D I say that in jest. I like a lot of metal, a very good friend of mine is a great Black Metal guitar player, and he trusts me to help him with mix critiques and arrangement stuff. But he also has a life aside from the music, in spite of having the abilities to play circles around many guitar players suffering from over-inflated egos.

Speaking of Suhr players: Why Pete Thorn hasn't played with Ian Thornley is just beyond me...

Mateus is a killer musician and hugely influential among the new generations of players, he's one of the few with a super fresh and original style nowadays IMO. He's a studio musician in L.A., toured the world several times, and he's being praised by people like John Mayer and Bettencourt. This is more than enough to deserve a signature guitar if you ask me.
I totally get him and wish him the best by the way, social media can really suck the life out of you.

Back