Mesa Boogie Mark 2C+ vs JP2C clips

I had a Studio modded to IIC+ specs. Ran it thru a Strategy 400. Sounded boring. No where NEAR a IIC+(+). Mark III Red Stripe was better for Metal than the IIC+ I owned. The IIC++ is better than both.
I owned a red stripe III DRG for about 5 years and while it was a good amp I wouldn't put it in the same league as a IIC+. It was kinda cold, stiff, harsh sounding to be honest. My current Mark IVb blows it away IMO, it's got a lot more feel to it, and gets just as aggressive with the right settings.

Isn't the IIC++ just a gained out IIC+? Everything i've heard about the mod makes me not want it done if I ever get a IIC+. Takes away the sensitivity of the controls and push pull pots, and cuts the low end supposedly.

I owned a red stripe III DRG for about 5 years and while it was a good amp I wouldn't put it in the same league as a IIC+. It was kinda cold, stiff, harsh sounding to be honest. My current Mark IVb blows it away IMO, it's got a lot more feel to it, and gets just as aggressive with the right settings.

Isn't the IIC++ just a gained out IIC+? Everything i've heard about the mod makes me not want it done if I ever get a IIC+. Takes away the sensitivity of the controls and push pull pots, and cuts the low end supposedly.
I had a IIC+ over a decade ago so I’m going off memory…First I don’t notice any low end cut what so ever. Secondly, there is a nice upper mid push I don’t remember hearing before. This could be slight variances in amps of course. I love the IIC++. Tight as hell but gainy as fuck. Feels cool and weird at the same time. So aggressive.

At what point in the clip do the amps change? I skipped around in the clip and it all sounds mostly the same to me

Jp2C has the same 'problem' as the mark V, the gain is fixed at about 5 internally, and they only give you access to the lead drive control on the front panel
Agreed. The second gain knob is super powerful. Wish Mesa would give us control over it again.

Though the JP2C does offer some tweaking: the lead channels each have the respective Lead Drive set differently, and you can ratchet each one up a bit by pulling some knob.

So in theory, Mesa tried to offer something like 6, 7, 8, and 9 level settings for Lead Drive on the JP2C. You just have to select the correct channel and pull setting.

(I think the front panel "gain" knob is like the Volume I control of the C+? Or do I have it backwards?).

The ++ mod leaves the low end intact. It adds more gain obviously; and the low mids are more prominent than before.

It's a full frequency boost on fifth gain stage and a bit more top end/treble from the lead circuit. No bass cutting but you can turn the gain down a bit, which makes bright cap more prominent and maybe seem like a bass cut.

So I might have a chance at an 85 C+ DRG . So it sounds like definitely get that instead of saving money and getting the JP2C
The ++ mod leaves the low end intact. It adds more gain obviously; and the low mids are more prominent than before.
I love the mod . my green stripe ++ is a fav of mine . It’s so huge and thick . You sounding after Mike B gets to it .Your comment was on point

I had a Studio modded to IIC+ specs. Ran it thru a Strategy 400. Sounded boring. No where NEAR a IIC+(+). Mark III Red Stripe was better for Metal than the IIC+ I owned. The IIC++ is better than both.
Love it, “sounded boring”
LMAO man.
Legendary.
“Nah man no thx, those Two Rock thingy’s sound boring”.
That TGP fella’ was not expecting that!
I can’t stop laughing man.

Back