Mesa Mark II C+

All the video has to say : Metallica used it . So now it’s the coolest . Lol jk . I live these amps but it’s kinda true
 
Honestly, when I bought my 2 MKIIC+ combos in 2002-2003, it had nothing to do with Metallica.

I was playing Country/rock variety and using Fender amps.

I bought them because guys on the TGP were talking about Studio musicians like Steve Lukather , Michael Landau, Dean Parks,and touring musicians like John Petrucci and Joe Satriani were using them.

I really never listened to Metallic, so them using these amps wasn’t on my radar.

Funny story was when I was bidding on a loaded MKIIC+ head around the time I bought the others, I was the high bidder and won the bid

I put in a maximum bid of 2K to make sure I won the bid,

I’m pretty sure sure the winning bid was a lot less than my maximum bid

I contacted the seller who lived my state about 1 1/2 hours away , to set up when I could pick it up.

He said John Petrucci private messaged him with an offer and he took it because of who he was.

Since then I’ve always thought he was a cock sucking piece of shit. 💩

I don’t listen to his faggot Polyphia type of music.

Yea I was butthurt cause he snagged my amp.

He should have been a man and bid on it like every one else on E-bay.

I guess guys like him do things the pussy way.

Rant over, now I feel better.
 
Well, since then Petrucci has his own signature IIC+, JP-2C, which I own.

Polyphia doesn't use Mesa....they use JCM 800 and Neural DSP; and custom cabs with Celestion V30s

I saw them live here a couple years ago:

IMG_0362.JPG


:thumbsup:
 
Honestly, when I bought my 2 MKIIC+ combos in 2002-2003, it had nothing to do with Metallica.

I was playing Country/rock variety and using Fender amps.

I bought them because guys on the TGP were talking about Studio musicians like Steve Lukather , Michael Landau, Dean Parks,and touring musicians like John Petrucci and Joe Satriani were using them.

I really never listened to Metallic, so them using these amps wasn’t on my radar.

Funny story was when I was bidding on a loaded MKIIC+ head around the time I bought the others, I was the high bidder and won the bid

I put in a maximum bid of 2K to make sure I won the bid,

I’m pretty sure sure the winning bid was a lot less than my maximum bid

I contacted the seller who lived my state about 1 1/2 hours away , to set up when I could pick it up.

He said John Petrucci private messaged him with an offer and he took it because of who he was.

Since then I’ve always thought he was a cock sucking piece of shit. 💩

I don’t listen to his faggot Polyphia type of music.

Yea I was butthurt cause he snagged my amp.

He should have been a man and bid on it like every one else on E-bay.

I guess guys like him do things the pussy way.

Rant over, now I feel better.

To be fair, that wasn’t Petrucci’s fault for trying to buy the amp, it was the seller’s fault for not honoring the legal contract the two of you made. I’d have let the auction company know and tried to get the asshole’s account banned.
 
Honestly, when I bought my 2 MKIIC+ combos in 2002-2003, it had nothing to do with Metallica.

I was playing Country/rock variety and using Fender amps.

I bought them because guys on the TGP were talking about Studio musicians like Steve Lukather , Michael Landau, Dean Parks,and touring musicians like John Petrucci and Joe Satriani were using them.

I really never listened to Metallic, so them using these amps wasn’t on my radar.

Funny story was when I was bidding on a loaded MKIIC+ head around the time I bought the others, I was the high bidder and won the bid

I put in a maximum bid of 2K to make sure I won the bid,

I’m pretty sure sure the winning bid was a lot less than my maximum bid

I contacted the seller who lived my state about 1 1/2 hours away , to set up when I could pick it up.

He said John Petrucci private messaged him with an offer and he took it because of who he was.

Since then I’ve always thought he was a cock sucking piece of shit. 💩

I don’t listen to his faggot Polyphia type of music.

Yea I was butthurt cause he snagged my amp.

He should have been a man and bid on it like every one else on E-bay.

I guess guys like him do things the pussy way.

Rant over, now I feel better.
Drama Theater
 
A successful band is great for moving product. I only ever got EMGs back in the day because M was my favorite band. Affording a Boogie was another story but I always wanted a Mark IV. Didn't know about the 2C.. I thought they were all the same. I was never interested in the EMG 81. For some reason I was all about the EMG 85.

Got a new guitar coming with Fishmans so we'll give them a try.. Stay tuned..
 
I should´ve snagged a IIC+ when they were still semi-affordable, for sure. By now I´m absolutely certain the closest I´ll ever get is my no-stripe III+ that Mike B modded, so I´m perfectly happy with that.

My relationship with Boogies is also the LA rock/AOR/session dudes, not really Metallica or Petrucci.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rsm
I should´ve snagged a IIC+ when they were still semi-affordable, for sure. By now I´m absolutely certain the closest I´ll ever get is my no-stripe III+ that Mike B modded, so I´m perfectly happy with that.

My relationship with Boogies is also the LA rock/AOR/session dudes, not really Metallica or Petrucci.
I have some 3+'s. They're really close to a c+.
IMG_1026.jpeg
 
Kind of surprised to know they are still using them now. It doesn't sound like it to me.
I know Hetfield still uses them for about 60% of his tone and it's blended with a Diezel vh4 and some Wizard. I think it's because he doesn't scoop his mids any more and the Diezel vh4 has such a strong character to it. The highs of that amp sound like they have a sharp low pass filter going on.
 
I was fortunate to own a ton of IIC+'s, even more fortunate to have friends who owned some. Something about those amps were just more open and raw than any other tube amp I've felt. Only thing is they all sounded different, even two of the same model freshly recapped and loading the same tubes back and forth between them. You could get a good one or a phenomenal one. I thought my SRG/60w sounded great until a buddy got one, had it recapped and it sounded a million times better. Recapped mine and it still wasn't close. Same difference with HRGs and DRGs. For that reason I don't think I'd own one again.

Carrying insurance for multiple $6K+ amps, being nervous driving to jams, nervous to let it out of your sight at a gig and not being able to turn the master past 2 without your ears bleeding got old.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rsm

Similar threads

Back
Top