Mesa Mark IIC++ 'Hetfield Mod'

tfridgen

Seller in Canada is selling a short head simulclass w GEQ as a 'Hetfield mod' which he says Mike B. substitutes the 100 transformer with one from a Mark IV. Anyone hear of this or have any info?

never heard of them replacing the large tranny with a smaller mark IV transformer. calling boogie with the s/n will usually answer everything

I think the “Hetfield mod” would refer to the ++ mod, not the transformer. But yes, one of Hetfield ‘s IIC+ heads has had the transformer replaced with an export Mark IV transformer. But I think that’s because the original one blew up and the Mark IV transformer was what Mesa Boogie had at the time, since the IIC+ transformers where long out of production.

I think the “Hetfield mod” would refer to the ++ mod, not the transformer. But yes, one of Hetfield ‘s IIC+ heads has had the transformer replaced with an export Mark IV transformer. But I think that’s because the original one blew up and the Mark IV transformer was what Mesa Boogie had at the time, since the IIC+ transformers where long out of production.
This. The ++ mod is the true Hetfield mod. I'm sure if James had the option of an original C+ transformer Mesa would've gone that route.

This. The ++ mod is the true Hetfield mod. I'm sure if James had the option of an original C+ transformer Mesa would've gone that route.
Yes, totally. But on the other hand, I don’t think it really mattered too much for him. Since he would run it with a Stategy 400 power amp anyway.

But thinking that “upgrading” a IIC+ with a Mark IV transformer would make it better and worth more is just nonsense. I would of course pay a lot less for an amp with a non original transformer.

Back