Mesa Mark III to III++ Mod

Wizard of Ozz

Anyone care to comment what they thought of the "++" mod after doing it to their MKIII?

I've got a few nice MKIIIs... including 2 MKIII blue stripes (both DRG) and I'm really undecided whether to try it or not. I like the bright, aggressive, toothy, biting top end of the amps as is. I DO NOT want to loose the bright, cutting nature of the MKIII BS as is... but I'm always interested as soon as some mentions a mod with the possibility of more gain (not that either of these really needs it).

Some claim it adds more gain, but "smooths" out the top end... warms and darkens the overall tone of the amp... to get back to pre-mod base tone you have to up the presence and treble quite a bit.

Others say, the "++" mod kills the aggressive nature that is the MKIII beast and lowers the gain and smooths out the amp too much. They strongly advise against it for metal, thrash, or hardcore in general.

Definite conflicting opinions from whom you ask.

I'm not interested in trying to nail the MKIIC+ or MKIIC++ tone... and I'm not after the smooth saturated liquid LA studio tone of Luke, Landau, Gillis, or early Petrucci.

So I you've modified a MKIII to "++" status... please comment below. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Supposedly one of my Mark III Coliseums was modded to be a Mark III++, but I haven't actually gone through the guts to verify if it's a III+ or a III++, but whatever it is, it is definitely smoother, less aggressive than my Mark III Coliseum Blue Stripe, or even my normal Mark III Blue Stripe. I can get it close to the aggressiveness by goosing the Presence, but it's inherently darker and smoother. The best way to describe it is "less biting" than a Blue Stripe. The grit of the gain is different, of that makes any sense. It's still very much a high gain amp, but it's like the highs have been slightly attenuated.

I'll let other chime in, but if you have two Blue Stripes like I had, it wouldn't hurt to have another color in the form of the III++.

Mailman1971":3jz25pci said:
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183026&hilit=Modded+mesa+mark+iii

Dan... you are one of the cartoon devils on my shoulder telling me to do it... :yes: :D

... but another guy I know is swearing to me I'll regret it. He hated his after. I've gone thru quite a few MKIIIs to find these keepers... so I don't want mess them up for nothing.

:dunno:

No man.... do it!!!
It will make the III injection with human growth hormone. :yes:
Mike B knows this and is the coolest guy to talk and deal with. :thumbsup:
I kinda wrote my step by step journey. Lot of guys helped walk me thru it.
BIG PROPS to Psychodave on my path. :rock:

I have 2 blue stripe coliseums and an early no stripe coliseum that have all been modded to ++ specs by MB and I much prefer them to when they were stock 3's. The highs are smoother and it is a bit less bright, but if anything I find them more aggressive now since they have more growl or hair like my original iic+ HRG when playing power chords (the power chords sounded smoother when they were stock iii's). And even with the ++ mod my blue stripes are still plenty bright and if you turn up the presence and pull out both bright knobs, you can get brighter than you'd probably ever want. I'd say since you have a few mark iii's, try it one of them and see what you think. I actually prefer my no stripe coliseum with the ++ in every way over my original iic+ HRG and every other iic+ I've tried. It sounds like that amp on steroids and actually already sounded very close to a iic+ when it was stock maybe since it's an early iii with more similar components. The blue stripe coliseums with the ++ mod isn't quite as on point in its voicing to my iic+ (not quite as growly or throaty sounding and is more upper middy) but pretty close and actually I think has my favorite clean of any amp I've owned

Let me put it this way, after owning a regular Mark III, I would never own one again unless it had the ++ mod. I’ve owned a Mark III++ coliseum, 2C++ and regular Mark III++ and they were all killer. I wish I could find that mark III++ I had. I was stupid to have sold it.

Well y’all have stimulated my curiosity. Looks like I’ll give it a shot. As long as it doesn’t come back sounding like a bad example of an old dark, dull, muddy 3 channel Recto I’ll be able to work with it.

Thanks all.

:thumbsup:

It's perfect that this thread came up, as I was about to start one with the exact same questions, as I have a coliseum III+ I've been itching to get modded.
My only other experience with the III sound is my quad on lead2 which I love. I do have more questions though for our Mark III++ owners/past owners on here and that is 1. what's the verdict on the clean channel? what happens to it? also what happens to the crunch channel if anything? more gain? If so is it enough to play thrash reserving the lead channel for solo's?
Has anyone had this mod done recently and have a good idea what mesa is charging for that mod? especially in my case modding from a 3+ to a ++, I imagine it would be less in my case because its already modded to a III+.( I know I can just phone mesa but Rich isn't very personable and I'd rather put that phone call off until I know exactly what I want.)

any more info or even better more CLIPS! does anyone else have clips of these? links?

anyway thanks in advance!

I don't think a Mark III needs a ++ mod, but that's a matter of choice. They have plenty of gain and bottom end. For Mark III's, get the R2 volume mod to add some more versatility to the amp for rhythm, crunch and lead control.

steve_k":3idcw1o9 said:
I don't think a Mark III needs a ++ mod, but that's a matter of choice. They have plenty of gain and bottom end. For Mark III's, get the R2 volume mod to add some more versatility to the amp for rhythm, crunch and lead control.

Did you like it better pre-mod or post-mod? I only care about the lead channel.

I really dig them stock as-is too. Seems folks are divided.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dooredge, a great member of the forum and overall must be one of the best sellers I've ever dealt with just sold me a bluestripe Mark III+ who I had send straight to Mesa for the ++ mod but after a lot of reading here and the boogie forum/talking to MB, he said to play it first before the ++ mod. Another point was what would the ++ do to the clean channel. I hear it's really one of the best. MIKE said the ++ has ZERO effect on it.

shredtilimdead13":18hclvr5 said:
No word on what happens to Rhythm 2's gain?

No effect on R2... but you need to have R2 active (ie pull out the middle pot) to activate the "++" mod... extra gain, tone shaping etc. while on the lead channel. Otherwise, it's stock.

Clean stays the same according to MB too.

damn... that sounds like a really cool way that it's implemented. does the actual R2 knob have to be pulled or can that be switched with the rhythm 2 foot switch jack? I run a midi system so that would be kick-ass if it could.

shredtilimdead13":114khl1n said:
damn... that sounds like a really cool way that it's implemented. does the actual R2 knob have to be pulled or can that be switched with the rhythm 2 foot switch jack? I run a midi system so that would be kick-ass if it could.

No idea. I did not ask. I'd assume it's foot switchable as well. Works the same way. I most only use the lead & clean channels.

Well today was a big day. I went to Mesa and hung out with MB. A buddy knows him and had me along to drop off a IIC+ for the ++ mod. I bought my first Mark series amp, blue stripe MKIII+ that has a R2 mod so I was expecting a lot. Mike wanted me go play the amp first as is having the + mod already which makes sense but when we got to my friend's pad where he has a MKIIC+/++ mine was dark and only opened up and got close to the IIC++ but long story short....we're going back Fri for the ++ I really liked Mike Bendinelli. We tried getting him in as much trouble as possible having us take the factory tour and we left that place without turning it upside down and left no rock unturned. Upstairs, a loft more or less was where he showed us the test equipment for matching their power tubes, they were everywhere. Very cool day and I'm looking forward to Friday since he said he could do the ++ in about an hour since mine already has the + mod.

exo-metal":1ql3ugk6 said:
Well today was a big day. I went to Mesa and hung out with MB. A buddy knows him and had me along to drop off a IIC+ for the ++ mod. I bought my first Mark series amp, blue stripe MKIII+ that has a R2 mod so I was expecting a lot. Mike wanted me go play the amp first as is having the + mod already which makes sense but when we got to my friend's pad where he has a MKIIC+/++ mine was dark and only opened up and got close to the IIC++ but long story short....we're going back Fri for the ++ I really liked Mike Bendinelli. We tried getting him in as much trouble as possible having us take the factory tour and we left that place without turning it upside down and left no rock unturned. Upstairs, a loft more or less was where he showed us the test equipment for matching their power tubes, they were everywhere. Very cool day and I'm looking forward to Friday since he said he could do the ++ in about an hour since mine already has the + mod.

Cool. Very interested to hear your thoughts after getting the "++". Should be a complete fire-breather or so I'm told.

exo-metal":36u7tjob said:
That's really cool! Can't wait to hear it!

Back