Mesa Mark ? - What Is this?

The loop mod definitely brings more gain, clarity and tightness to them! There‘s a bit of sacrifice on the cleans, but it makes the amp more useable by repositioning the loop and reverb in the circuit.

EV or Celestion Black Shadow?

Black shadow, mc-90 I believe.
Is EV better? For less $, I can get another .50+ head with open/closed back metal grill 2x12 with EVs.
The “Black Shadow” speakers can either be EV 12Ls or Celestion C90. As said, that doesn’t look original so assuming it is a Celestion. Should be stamped right on the label. Yes IMO the EV is a superior speaker but I do like the C90 as well.

Ok, got it.

Well this dude has some purple and red stripe MkIIIs and MkIvs in black tolex and wood with cane grill for $1500+.
He has 8 amps in all. At the Guitarlington guitar show. I can get his info for anyone interested
Got a blue stripe?

I've read the loop mods bring em close to 2c territory.
I had Mike B loop mod a 2B Coliseum. It basically turned it into a Mk III, with extra gain on tap if needed. But the amp had a vintage thing going on in the tone prior to the mod, and that was lost.
Best option Imo IF the amp has that vintage type tone, which it should being an early one, is just using a pedal to tighten. I felt the amp lost some mojo after the mod.

I had Mike B loop mod a 2B Coliseum. It basically turned it into a Mk III, with extra gain on tap if needed. But the amp had a vintage thing going on in the tone prior to the mod, and that was lost.
Best option Imo IF the amp has that vintage type tone, which it should being an early one, is just using a pedal to tighten. I felt the amp lost some mojo after the mod.
Had the same experience with a IIB HRG 1x15 I had… loop modded it and lost that vintage vibe. A/B’d it to a Blue Stripe 3+’d 1x15, and the IIB+ held its ground. I’ve not loop modded my IIB KRG for that very reason… fortunately my KRG‘s loop works perfectly (it’s one of the last 8 IIB’s built)

I have a IIB, even boosted it has a vintage thing happening in the tone. Not as aggressive as my other later marks but does it's cool thing.

Back