Mesa MK series users owners chime in below

Tone Junkie

Since there are a variety of Mesa MK series amps and they all have their own quirks and unicorn settings I was wondering if we could start a MK series thread where users can post which amp with pics of settings and sound samples if you have any.

In an effort to help spread the magic and a settings post for others

Post up guys.

Mark 3 no stripe: once I have it around here Il roll in some presence. Typically around 2 and hit it with a boost. SD1 or 808. Drive just cracked open, and level 70-90%. Tone just past noon.
Both masters around 3, but sometimes Il go up to 4.5 on the lead master. Works best with a les Paul, and gets a little too bright with a strat.

Attachments

• DED9F693-8E39-46BA-A532-517202984F0B.jpeg
    DED9F693-8E39-46BA-A532-517202984F0B.jpeg
    782.4 KB · Views: 24
mark IVa user for 15+ years now. my settings change a little every time a play . i have a para eq in the loop that i do a sharp scoop on 400hz and 1.2k, and bring down around 4k a few db. even that changes a bit here and there when i feel like hearing something else. I'm not married to one tone. i think its foolish to try and have like "YOUR TONE" that you can benchmark and show off, and then expect to always have. Sometimes i feel like hearing myself sounding like hypocrisy with the extreme EQing, sometimes i feel like sounding like old metallica, sometimes i feel like sounding like old motorhead, sometimes a tone that fits my own band, etc.
this is what it was at last time i played. Keep in mind i'm playing through just the combo(v30 loaded), at mostly bedroom volume. these para eq settings help loose those bad "combo frequencies" that you can't dial out without it. sounds more like a small, quiet, 4x12.
ADCreHdhbaEDQ71rbdyPbl5whA3oVQcK3eW0ghTQ3xQ-zbfYmBHbW3uTVE8qu7AlrlAHYQbBzIjE4qzFEz91A_VRskuPjGL_ePzVHlPx8XtdWwX3hvyTMzzvKam5vYc-tM8uwUfR-wTu0Eto2EVI1rneoJUnX2B-BwxMDomHyJGANXe_exC0fuWEQ5w0R1j5HtraY96xgMBMTehknRBOcxESP07i0-3sCFN3ha_awH2aduVD4grc_BGLkrhBI48Lun-GZuG1XTj9ygzwCMCPiu3FHwTBQaU7vpdsOKjEBbb9D1Z8LIdVRV4GYODjB7j7YjSzAF5MLsvex3Ad8Ayuh3wyGGKIksAwMIbSEntiD5kkw2uLPoXPTd8di7KJe9CkLOTjMQTgINGkEjzdFasdx0D_ahC-Xw9Ji6k3cFuPSsoUkwzk0tTzmIiJnLFfOhKF0nuH2avBJl1AAHhmNHe94nZDh7iJkpWE-Yj6cV-H55z6tVXwQ8-EowDXSfAnDg8ScQ-yigm6ArMOef6LFcxKgAtEfvski2nNnPwZdhLqY-7iMXCD5kAk1OtH84CF4e_Rc5XhRZrue_c8lXEGs9beku_dVj1oy9bMKv9Nf5oqF0XYhApxbr8X7B7JjnXiByl1pQ-YvPpa5-SPVLBTRCpL1ObiIPBjLey0IHfgdEgK7qzq5SRYc5_BeJbx6po1sT2fsicIektzMXS_u0CTv5BYnDCN4s2XJpNNyxRAwRmeca-u3wsAfmMRUp0-qI7LAaQdgubEZnyAF2vvuANf-cF_lqrgZFAF80RY0N8Fwc_1OwrNU0JgeZsvsoHKLvNaZbOftbr45VmgH6GUhIjgVV-oN0_P9XTXe4DQJedDBAz7WEZ_QSofDtDCx_i01Ppo7HGEk4Sstq1WYUpHMCdbgiVikmJguF9Sbg=w2736-h1400-s-no

I do the typical V scoop like Jim but some times I adjust the sliders slightly. Bass is usually on 1 or 2. Mids 5 or 6 treble around 6 or 6. This is on the lead channel. Totally interested in what people do for the other two channels

i just recently went back to using the v shape in the eq again. for the last few years i was running the 5 band flat except for the 750 in the middle of the bottom thin white horizontal line. then i moved into a different room and liked the V more.

Depended on which amp, and what you're going after sonically ...? This was my IIA, IIB, IIC and IIC+/++ pack. Some good starting points: V1 between 6-8, Treble (P) around 7-8, Bass 0-2, Mid 3-5, Master 3-5, Lead Drive 5-8, Lead Master 3-5. EQ depended on whether in Lead or Rhythm mode, Presence generally around 4-6.

IMG_1482.jpg

Depended on which amp, and what you're going after sonically ...? This was my IIA, IIB, IIC and IIC+/++ pack. Some good starting points: V1 between 6-8, Treble (P) around 7-8, Bass 0-2, Mid 3-5, Master 3-5, Lead Drive 5-8, Lead Master 3-5. EQ depended on whether in Lead or Rhythm mode, Presence generally around 4-6.

View attachment 252302

Nice group shot. 😳.

it’s interesting that people seem to either like them or suffer from option paralysis in regards to the tonal options.

I used some weird setting a while back. I can't remember exactly what it was. But It did a pretty good AJFA type tone. I need to see if I can find it again.

Mine’s a very early Mark IVB. It’s a fairly recent purchase so I’m still figuring out Rhy 1 and Rhy 2, but very happy with where I am for the Lead channel:

Fat pulled / Bright pulled / Presence pushed / Dials and sliders as pictured.

Running a ‘73 Les Paul Custom with T-Tops (500k pots) through the 55hz Heritage Greenback. Presence / treble need a bit of a tweak depending on the guitar I’m using, but the settings pictured sound great to me with the Custom.

Attachments

• IMG_5640.jpeg
    IMG_5640.jpeg
    852.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
This was an interesting experiment I did with my Mesa Boogie Quad. I had it running in the Mark IIC+ and Mark III modes simultaneously, with both graphical EQs engaged and some pretty extreme settings, as you can see in the video. But I wasn't using a cab, I was using the emulated output on the back of the input.

Only did this once when the unit was new to me, but it's a pretty interesting sound, at least imho.

Back