Mesa Mk V:25 vs Wizard MC50 clip

  • Thread starter Thread starter LPMojoGL
  • Start date Start date
LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL

Well-known member



Deets in the description.

Playing at LOUD home volume. Just right to hang with a drummer in a small club. The Mesa was working in it's happy zone. The Wizard was just cracking open.
Obviously, the Wiz has all the decibels, body, girth, clarity and detail to decimate in a loud, full band mix, with 2 guitarists (and keys, horns, whatever).
The Mesa is an incredible tool for the music room, home-recording hobbiest, and small club weekend warrior.

I've owned a plethora of amps, since getting into the gear thing way back in 2005ish. So many boutique amps, majority of the repro and modded Marshalls, Bogners, Mesas, Friedmans, Soldanos, Oranges...way too many to list.
The little Mesa Mk V:25 is a badass lil mofo. Not just for the $. It's magic, what they accomplished with a 2x el84 power section. It's not my favorite for anything, but in the top 5 for most things. Which is insane to me. Amazing little amp.

The Wizard...
Well. One of the baddest bitches around.
 
Great sounds and playing 🤘🏻
Thanks!
That Les Paul is a 2015, with a wider neck and flatter radius. It's the LP for someone that prefers a more modern feel of something like a Jackson or Ibanez, while retaining the rude, punchy and rocking sound of the best LPs.
TBH, I'm kinda perturbed by how much I dig it.
It's one of the best sounding and playing LPs I've played.

I made this clip because I'm deciding on what gear to sell. That LP, and the Wizard, are on my list of considerations.
All I've done is made it harder for myself to decide.
 
Last edited:
Thanks!
That Les Paul is a 2015, with a wider neck and flatter radius. It's the LP for someone that prefers a more modern feel of something like a Jackson or Ibanez, while retaining the rude, punchy and rocking sound of the best LPs.
TBH, I'm kinda perturbed by how much I dig it.

I made this clip because I'm deciding on what gear to sell. That LP, and the Wizard, are on my list of considerations.
All I've done is made it harder for myself to decide.
My man you’re living the life if a Wizard is among your first considerations to let go 😂
 
My man you’re living the life if a Wizard is among your first considerations to let go 😂
I went on a great journey over the past 2 decades, discovering my favorite gear.
The Wizard is in my top 3 fav amps.
It's also one of my most expensive pieces of gear.

I just play at home. I used to record a lot, write songs. But I haven't even done that in a good while.
I want to sell at least half of my guitar gear.
As much as I love the Wiz, (and I do, in a tie with the SLO and Ground Zero SS100 for fav rock amp ever!), it doesnt make sense for me to keep something so expensive and special, when all I do is make noise at home and occasionally record a song for fun.

I can be just as creative or entertained with the Mesa and a Squier.
Maybe not as satisfied/fulfilled on a bougie, tone freak level. But surely that will fade with time.
Right?
 
I went on a great journey over the past 2 decades, discovering my favorite gear.
The Wizard is in my top 3 fav amps.
It's also one of my most expensive pieces of gear.

I just play at home. I used to record a lot, write songs. But I haven't even done that in a good while.
I want to sell at least half of my guitar gear.
As much as I love the Wiz, (and I do, in a tie with the SLO and Ground Zero SS100 for fav rock amp ever!), it doesnt make sense for me to keep something so expensive and special, when all I do is make noise at home and occasionally record a song for fun.

I can be just as creative or entertained with the Mesa and a Squier.
Maybe not as satisfied/fulfilled on a bougie, tone freak level. But surely that will fade with time.
Right?
More or less right, but then again, what can several grands change for quite an accomplished USA man? Don’t bind in to the price, bind it to what you enjoy the most. After all, life is short and we rarely get to afford creme of the crop, so why not since you already have it?

But I’m am a bad advisor, haven’t sold my only amp(SLO) which I play once a year even at my lowest low. Although that carries some sentimental value too, but still 😂
 
Last edited:
More or less right, but then again, what can several grands change for quite an accomplished USA man? Don’t bind in to the price, bind it to what you enjoy the most. After all, life is short and we rarely get to afford creme of the crop, ao why not since you already have it?

But I’m am a bad advisor, haven’t sold my only amp(SLO) which I play once a year even at my lowest low. Although that carries some sentimental value too, but still 😂
Light that bad boy up on the regular!
 
I don’t want cops at the door, I live in appartment. Otherwise I definitely would😂
My first dream amp, I bought myself when I could finally afford it, was a Soldano HR50+. Played it in an apt, thru a 1x12 closed back cab, volume at like .5 on the dial. And it was glorious.
Actually sold it to put a down payment on my house in 2009.

You motivated me to dig this up:
1st ever video I posted to YT, 17 years ago. Tube Screamer Soundtank I modded, into that HR50+. Playing it in that apt, at .5 volume lol.


And a 90s Vintage Rat RI I bought for $35, thru the Soldano, with a Nokia chicklet phone ringing at the end.


Man, I really miss those days!!!!

Dang. Now I'm going down the rabbit hole of my old gear and recordings!
 
I went on a great journey over the past 2 decades, discovering my favorite gear.
The Wizard is in my top 3 fav amps.
It's also one of my most expensive pieces of gear.

I just play at home. I used to record a lot, write songs. But I haven't even done that in a good while.
I want to sell at least half of my guitar gear.
As much as I love the Wiz, (and I do, in a tie with the SLO and Ground Zero SS100 for fav rock amp ever!), it doesnt make sense for me to keep something so expensive and special, when all I do is make noise at home and occasionally record a song for fun.

I can be just as creative or entertained with the Mesa and a Squier.
Maybe not as satisfied/fulfilled on a bougie, tone freak level. But surely that will fade with time.
Right?
so after all the gear you've been through what are your thoughts now? what would you get?
 
My first dream amp, I bought myself when I could finally afford it, was a Soldano HR50+. Played it in an apt, thru a 1x12 closed back cab, volume at like .5 on the dial. And it was glorious.
Actually sold it to put a down payment on my house in 2009.

You motivated me to dig this up:
1st ever video I posted to YT, 17 years ago. Tube Screamer Soundtank I modded, into that HR50+. Playing it in that apt, at .5 volume lol.


And a 90s Vintage Rat RI I bought for $35, thru the Soldano, with a Nokia chicklet phone ringing at the end.


Man, I really miss those days!!!!

Dang. Now I'm going down the rabbit hole of my old gear and recordings!

Wow, that’s some history right there!

Well, I have only a 4x12, so no silent playing for me 😂
 
If you are selling, I would keep the Wizard. Mesa is ok, but much easier to come by. Price of admission for the Wizard stuff is a tough one.
 
@LPMojoGL sounds awesome! I guessed right that you were using the Mark IV mode, since it has a bit more of the more gnarly bite than the smoother Xtreme mode.

I'm hanging on to mine as well, probably *the* desert island practice amp.
 
If you're describing the Wizard as a personal top 3, I'd say you'd be crazy to let it go. I think you'll always miss it if you do.

Also, it's not about how good your playing is or who else will or won't hear it, it's about how much you like doing it.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the vids and nice playing.
The Wizard sounds great, can it do home volumes of 80-85dB?

All of my amps (Soldano SLO-30, Soldano Astro 20, and Victory MKX) do those volumes extremely well.

My favorite EL84 amp was my Friedman Little Sister, it sounded amazing.

I currently have no EL84 amps, the 3 above are 6V6, 6L6, and EL34.
 
The Wizard...
Well. One of the baddest bitches around.
Nice vid! Def appreciate that u played the same riffs and not something completely different for each amp

Would u pls shootout your Rocca vs the Wiz ??
👍👍👍🙏🙏🙏⚡⚡⚡
 
Thanks for the vids and nice playing.
The Wizard sounds great, can it do home volumes of 80-85dB?

All of my amps (Soldano SLO-30, Soldano Astro 20, and Victory MKX) do those volumes extremely well.

My favorite EL84 amp was my Friedman Little Sister, it sounded amazing.

I currently have no EL84 amps, the 3 above are 6V6, 6L6, and EL34.

Yep the Wizard can do quiet volumes very well. It doesn't go fully silent with the volume at minimum, there are still a few frequencies that slip through very quietly. But they even back out before hitting TV volume and only get better from there.
 
Nice vid! Def appreciate that u played the same riffs and not something completely different for each amp

Would u pls shootout your Rocca vs the Wiz ??
👍👍👍🙏🙏🙏⚡⚡⚡
Thanks!

First...The Rocca is long gone. It was modded, so doesn't represent a stock model. It was a fantastic amp, having similar punch to the Wizard, but was a quite a bit more touchy to dial in. Happy to answer any questions about how they compared.

I agree, playing the same thing is the best way to discern differences, in any gear.
I don't like using a looper when comparing amps or pedals, because they all react differently to your input. I prefer to play the same thing, but in the way I would with that pedal or amp. Playing to their strengths.
And None of this "all knobs at noon on both amps" BS. Totally ruins any comparison. What kind of lame, braindead dumbass dials all of his amps or pedals with the knobs at noon, instead of what sounds best for each piece?
Anyone reading this that is one of those Youtubers that puts all the knobs at noon on every comparison, F#$% O@# for wasting everyone's time, and misleading those inexperienced enough to not know how idiotic you are. You suck. I don't understand why you have subscribers.
Pardon the rant.

Thanks for the vids and nice playing.
The Wizard sounds great, can it do home volumes of 80-85dB?

All of my amps (Soldano SLO-30, Soldano Astro 20, and Victory MKX) do those volumes extremely well.

My favorite EL84 amp was my Friedman Little Sister, it sounded amazing.

I currently have no EL84 amps, the 3 above are 6V6, 6L6, and EL34.
Thanks for the kind words!
Short answer:
Can the Wiz do home volumes in that db range? Yes. Absolutely.
Does it sound its best doing that? Negative.

Long answer:
In my experience, every master volume tube amp, that is capable of high gain, can sound decent at bedroom volumes. Just gotta dial em in for that volume.
I did that for years, while living in apartments, not playing out.
It wasn't until I got a house, and could regularly play at healthy volumes, that I realized just how bad that apt volume sound is.
With a mv tube amp, like your SLO30 or Little Sister, there is a point on the volume knob where the amp goes from making sound, to opening up. Can it sound good at .5 on the dial? Sure. Maybe needs more treble and presence, less mids on the eq. But at 1.5, it's actually opening up. More clarity, dynamics, harmonics, starting to breathe a little. Pedals actually sound decent with it. And then, as you increase the volume, there's a point where you start engaging the power tubes. The amp shows its real character. You have optimal tone, sustain, dynamics, harmonics, compression. Pedals sound the way they were designed to, like part of the amp.

So yeah, the Wiz can sound great at TV volumes. Just like, probably better than, the SLO30.
I find higher watt mv amps sound better at bedroom volumes than lower watt mv amps. IMO, for bedroom volumes: 50-100w amps>20-30watt amps with big tubes>lower watt amps with 6v6/el84s.
Those lower watt, smaller tube amps need more volume to initially open up, almost always sound smaller or more middy, but hit the fun power tube stage faster. They're the worst for low home volumes, but the best for small clubs and recording.

If you're describing the Wizard as a personal top 3, I'd say you'd be crazy to let it go. I think you'll always miss it if you do.

Also, it's not about how good your playing is or who else will or won't hear it, it's about how much you like doing it.
You're not wrong. I'm thinking more like this as I compare. Thanks for the advice.

@LPMojoGL sounds awesome! I guessed right that you were using the Mark IV mode, since it has a bit more of the more gnarly bite than the smoother Xtreme mode.

I'm hanging on to mine as well, probably *the* desert island practice amp.
Yeah, Mk IV seemed to best match up with the bigger amp sound. Mk IIC+ has less lows, Xtreme smoother as you said.
No denying the versatility and quality of sounds coming out of this little amp. It's only when comparing it to higher watt amps that I realize it's limitations in clarity and frequency breadth. But, therein lies the charm with the best lower watt amps. A Deluxe Reverb sounds small compared to the bigger Fenders. But it's probably the most utilized Fender amp ever, and one of the best in a live mix. Best live blues and country tones I've heard were thru a DR.
I haven't done a direct comparison, but I'm willing to bet this lil Mesa could hang with the DR doing its thing, and then do a whole lot more.


If you are selling, I would keep the Wizard. Mesa is ok, but much easier to come by. Price of admission for the Wizard stuff is a tough one.
Talking sense. Agreed. Thanks.
 
Back
Top