MESA Rectifier pre making distorted sound

Markedman

My pre amp makes a distorted sound when I turn the master volume up past 11 0'clock. if I leave the volume low, there's no problem. I've changed all of the tubes with tubes that work great in other amps so I am possitive it is not tubes. https://youtu.be/sECgrvtLhsc

So Mesa called. The Preamp is not broken, it just sounds that way!! Huh? I went back and forth with Rich at Boogie showing him this video. (Go to 1:55 and tell me that that is not a full on fart.) He said that they could find nothing wrong with it. It, to me, is unusable.

Anyone want to buy a Preamp?

I can't remember if it was the Rectifier Rackmount (with power section) or the Rectifier Pre but when I was researching preamps a while back one of them got horrible reviews. I'm not really a Rectifier guy anyway so I didn't make a mental note of it. Or I'm just getting old.

That's farting out bad. Nothing wrong with it? Do you think it could be something else in the signal chain, like a speaker?

I played the pre through many amps and speakers, Different guitars, cables, you name it, I tried it. Switched tubes 4 or 5 times or more. Perhaps there was something like a shred of solder or a loose wire that was shuffled during the trip from NY to CA?. I wish I was at Boogie to try it right there and give them a look when I hit a note and it's just a fart and look at thier expressions. I can't believe it's just normal.

I recieved an offer for $600.00 yesterday, it has to go.

Man that sucks to hear! The Recto Preamp has always been a piece of gear that has intrigued me but I have never really spent time with one.

So I asked Rich to provide a quick video of it working properly. He said they were still evaluating it and will get back to me.

So I got an email from Rich at Boogie today and he said the tech may have found the problem. He then emailed back saying it was a "broken mix pot". I knew it was something.

$112.75 with shipping. I like Boogie even more, shipping alone for me to there was $71.53 with insurance. Now I can say it is in good condition. I mght even keep it if it sounds like I think it should. I bought it off eBay for $630.00 with shipping and tax. Not the best deal by far but I wanted it for my "Covid" set-up in cojuntion with my Boogie quad preamp. Quite the rig really.

My rig by John Bazzano, on Flickr

So I got an email from Rich at Boogie today and he said the tech may have found the problem. He then emailed back saying it was a "broken mix pot". I knew it was something.

$112.75 with shipping. I like Boogie even more, shipping alone for me to there was $71.53 with insurance. Now I can say it is in good condition. I mght even keep it if it sounds like I think it should. I bought it off eBay for $630.00 with shipping and tax. Not the best deal by far but I wanted it for my "Covid" set-up in cojuntion with my Boogie quad preamp. Quite the rig really.

My rig by John Bazzano, on Flickr
Glad you got it figured out. That's a killer rig.

Back