Mesa Shootout Mark 2C+, Mark 7, JP2C

I have a real IIC+ DRGX and a JP-2C. They're both absolutely incredible amplifiers. To me, the JP-2C is the best "bang for your buck" used amp on the market. It's a modern IIC+ with features you always wanted but never had (e.g., 2 GEQ's). It can sound very, very close to my IIC+ but flip it to 60w mode, use the "British Crunch" setting from the manual (tweak to taste, adding a Marshall cab helps), and it literally sounds like a hot-rodded Marshall. I mean, what *can't* this amp do? And you can buy them for $2300ish used? Can't spend a dollar better, IMO.

I have a real IIC+ DRGX and a JP-2C. They're both absolutely incredible amplifiers. To me, the JP-2C is the best "bang for your buck" used amp on the market. It's a modern IIC+ with features you always wanted but never had (e.g., 2 GEQ's). It can sound very, very close to my IIC+ but flip it to 60w mode, use the "British Crunch" setting from the manual (tweak to taste, adding a Marshall cab helps), and it literally sounds like a hot-rodded Marshall. I mean, what *can't* this amp do? And you can buy them for $2300ish used? Can't spend a dollar better, IMO.
100% agreement. They get damn close. If I still played live this would probably be my choice for an amp. It does it all really well. Not a massive foot print. Price is reasonable. Can go direct out also.

Maybe the jp 2c was the unofficial mk vi? lol..jk..nice " rhythm " chug demo.
Id like to hear all 3 amps with a throw down on a nice melodic shred lead or two in a440. That may separate these amps apart a bit more.

When that vid came out I asked Ola about in the room & he said that he could barely tell a difference... Which, also having owned many of all those amps, I find hard to believe. ...But I wasn't there so 🤷‍♂️

I always hear a plastic like character to the JP2C and it doesn’t matter who records it or through what cabinet.

My ears actually prefer the mark VII or the IIC+, but after factoring in cost and noise floor the VII is my preference.

When that vid came out I asked Ola about in the room & he said that he could barely tell a difference... Which, also having owned many of all those amps, I find hard to believe. ...But I wasn't there so 🤷‍♂️
Dude doesn’t wear any ear protection and has been cranking on amps Dime style for comparison for years. Doesn’t surprise me at the slightest.

I'll just say that while I prefer the VII to the JP2C, the JP2C cuts better. I can't explain why 'cause by hearing it on its own you wouldn't believe it'd sound so good in the mix. I still prefer the feel of the VII though and can't seem to gel with both JP2C i've had.

I'll just say that while I prefer the VII to the JP2C, the JP2C cuts better. I can't explain why 'cause by hearing it on its own you wouldn't believe it'd sound so good in the mix. I still prefer the feel of the VII though and can't seem to gel with both JP2C i've had.
From a high gain context-

Personally I agree that in the live context the JP cuts better than the C+ or the VII. That boxiness you can't dial out makes sense in that context. The only Mark that I think cuts better is the IV.

I also feel the VII has by far the worst live cut of all Marks because of the oddly soft note attack and lack of push.

Have you tried a VII yet?

More Marshall than Mesa user, but I do have a Mesa TriAxis with Phat mod for many years.

Recently, after enjoying the Neural DSP Mesa IIC+/++ Suite and Archetype Petrucci, I thought about Mark VII or JP-2C. I went with the Mesa JP-2C after researching and hearing JP talk about the design decisions. When I found a new Mesa JP-2C rack head at 19% off and free shipping last November it was a nobrainer for me.

I'm running it into a Mesa compact 2x12 and using my HX-Effects in 4CM. I have a HX-FX patch per channel. Still need to program the MIDI channel switching in the HX-FX. Sounds great to me.

NAD, after getting it racked (the dangling reverb tank was a PITA with those tiny wires; one of the connectors was so tight I'd break it trying to disconnect it. I have it mounted to the bottom of the rack in the back. I hate reverb, so does JP so I'm in good company!) :

Mesa-JP2C-Rack.JPG

New Mesa's always have a different character/tone/feel than older ones (up to Mark IV imo) not saying one is better or worse but I think that has a lot to do why the original IIC+ still has its own going on that can't 100% be replicated by the newer amps. Maybe due to transformers, PCB construction & wiring method differences? I will that say any Mark III or IV will get you much closer to the IIC+ vibe than a newer reissue amp (I haven't tried the Mark VII)

I feel like too many IIC+ owners like to protect the legacy of that amp too much. That extra 5-10% because its a "feel thing" is an excuse to justifying what price you paid for it.
Definitely some truths to this (and applies to a lot of other vintage/collectable gear). I was lucky enough to buy a couple IIC+ when you pick them up around 2k usd (which was already a lot of money at the time for a 20+ year old amp) and dont plan on selling them so got no vested financial interest in this. I do think they sound different however, build methods, electronic components, transformers have changed a lot since 1984 and a modern amp just cant sound the same. On the flip end, a Mark III or IV can really get you extremely close to the tone/feel of a C+ and at this point it would just be a difference in flavour. Never tried a Mark VII so would be curious to see how it sounds

At least on computer speakers I couldn't hear much difference in Ola's comparison. I also take his comparisons with a grain of salt. I find pretty much anything he demos sounds the same. Somehow he plays a high gain Diezel then plugs into an old blackface Fender and gets the same tone.

They're all amazing amps though. Even still I haven't heard anything from the JP2C or VII that makes me want to trade out my Mark III for one.

i could hear quite some differences.
In a blind test i wouldn't pic the original as my favourite.
Some messy stuff is going on, as if the there is some additional clipping from the mic with just the original, or maybe it's the old components??

Back