Metal guys talk to me about Peters.

Known about Peters Amplification for a while. Never had any experience with one. They seem to get a lot of praise. How do you guys like them in a down tuned modern aggressive metal context? Tones like Fear Factory, Meshuggah, SYL. Specifically talking about the higher gain models like the FSM, CSM, and others. Have talked back and forth with James about his amps and seems like a really good guy to do business with.
I've heard comments before about how they are like your Engl, Diezel, Bogner, amps but thicker, less compressed, and clearer. Also heard someone say like a more saturated VHT UL.
It seems like a lot of the people that have them end up selling them, but also seems like they sell in order to fund a different Peters model.

New design is coming that's better for Fear Factory, SYL (can't say for Meshuggah since I don't tune that low or play stuff quite like that though).

All channel designs are being replaced for 2017.

And I'll be recording clips...with a real microphone into a real preamp. :)

I heard one in person once, I think it was a Hydra. The range of tones you could dial in through the controls was really impressive.

hstlaurent":1zcdkgj9 said:
Some dude posted clips of peters preamps on YouTube. I think he posted them here a while ago too. Regardless, here's the link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DCAkg3U7j48

That sounds way too dry, in a bad way :(

I think I spoke to you via pm about the one I have. I am generally a 5150 amp type of guy, but the peters blows them all away. having tried all sorts of different amps I don't get impressed by much, but this amp was extremely impressive. the only thin keeping it from being absolutely perfect is that it is the chimera and fsm channels. if I could have either of those pre amps with the halo channel it would be the amp I took to the grave with me for sure.

I have thought many times about just ordering a new one, or even seeing if mr peters himself could modify one of the channels to be the halo channel

jsp":ua8jui9g said:

I like it, lol. :) But I find the clip sounds unusual for what the amp was supposed to be. I wouldn't consider that very representative of that channel design.

Intimidator333":ua8jui9g said:
Ugh James! New design for FF SYL?! When will this be available?

Well it's nearly done (I'm just being super picky about making sure I've settled on it, and testing it over a couple more days), and 2 people have already ordered it...so let's say "right away". :)

It's not specifically meant to be for SYL but the FF thing does resonate with me. That sort of sound has been at the heart of a few of my designs, and this new one (as of yet unnamed) is the best for that so far.

Intimidator333":2sc43z9r said:
Call it the Body Hammer!

That's not a bad idea. You just named my favorite song by them. :) That I can recall, anyway. It's been a while.

bulletride":2sc43z9r said:
It's good to hear that you made a new channel. Will it be most brutal channel of yours?

Yes. Not that the FSM and CSM were slouches, but this one tops them.

There's also a high gain design that will supersede the Gryphon.

Both these designs are intended to provide the best sounds I can for what people actually seemed to expect based on their favorite clips of my amps over the years. It required changing my channel architecture, sort of re-inventing my designs from a different perspective. The sound is more raw, growly and "dirty" in a good way.

These two new designs will head up the new channel lineup, being supported by:

1) lead versions of each channel (fatter, more mids and attack which is a bit less aggressive)
2) a crunch channel based on Vega and Regulus combined (and rethought a bit with the new architecture)
3) a clean channel similar to the Halo

The idea is to pick one of the two high gain designs and then pick from 1, 2 or 3 above as the second channel in a dual channel amp. Of course an amp can be ordered with a crunch channel as "the high gain channel" (and then consider options 1, 2, and 3 for the amp's second channel). Triple channel amps are basically the same but the third channel is always choice 3 from above.

A new smaller dual channel format (apx. 24.5" x 9" x 9") will be released at a price a bit lower than my current dual channel format, with a few features removed due to size/space issues:

-slave out (almost no one uses it, and it's easy to do the same thing using a DI anyway)
-power supply switches (subtle, not really important to the design)
-second master volume (not needed since each channel has its own volume control)

It will have very similar cosmetics including the same style of custom grill and backlighting.

jsp":3o4pwzmb said:

That was dialed in with as little gain as I can get away with. There's another clip I made with a little bit more gain (still probably less than what many people here would use though). But note that he doesn't make this particular design anymore:

Here's a clip of the FSM channel:

Rezamatix":309qj9dd said:
really like the playing on the second clip. that just doesnt sound like a tone I would ever use. very nasal.

Not my playing - these were re-amped Ola Englund DI tracks.

These channels can be dialed in with a less forward mid than what I did, I just like lots of mids. And extreme downtuning seems to produce a lot more lower-mid content than E or Drop D.

Reza is just a fucking gear troll. Time and time again we see him talk shit about brands he isn't giving hand jobs to. He has a total agenda when it comes to promoting gear. Nobody wants to hear your shitty opinions on gear you have never tried or know about. Fuck the fuck off.

Back