Metal head on a budget

Xxx will run on el34’s or 6l6’s
didn’t know that . My students buy the 3120 and xxx and jsx a lot and el34s were always in 3120 . Then one had gate and some didn’t . Then through my cab their was definitely some eq curve differences . 3 variations of James brown I guess . Cool stuff though .oh ya xxx mk 2 was jsx based too .The budget part makes me go with 3120 because I still see them go for like $500 . But they all are cool

Last edited:
What about a Carvin V3 or V3M. Those are pretty high gain. I never played one in a band context though so I'm not sure how well it will cut.

Last edited:
didn’t know that . My students buy the 3120 and xxx and jsx a lot and el34s were always in 3120 . Then one had gate and some didn’t . Then through my cab their was definitely some eq curve differences . 3 variations of James brown I guess . Cool stuff though .oh ya xxx mk 2 was jsx based too .The budget part makes me go with 3120 because I still see them go for like $500 . But they all are cool
My XXX has some cheap Russian Military 6l6 type tubes that I got off of eBay in it. Sounds amazing. Lol.
image.jpg

That’s just a renamed xxx
I had one. They are, indeed a XXX. I couldn't get past how hideous they looked.

But, looks aside, it's a legit contender. They love KT77's. But, if I wanted Peavey, I'd go JSX. The Amber crunch channel with a boost is crushing. Red is super high gain, but extremely controllable. Perfect for leads, or extremely heavy rhythm. Brutal.

I had one. They are, indeed a XXX. I couldn't get past how hideous they looked.

But, looks aside, it's a legit contender. They love KT77's. But, if I wanted Peavey, I'd go JSX. The Amber crunch channel with a boost is crushing. Red is super high gain, but extremely controllable. Perfect for leads, or extremely heavy rhythm. Brutal.
Isn't the red high gain channel on the JSX the same as the crunch channel from the XXX? From what I remember they shared some similar features and Peavey did some weird renaming of those 2 amps. Started with the JSX and XXX. Then when Satriani moved on they renamed the JSX to XXX-2. Then somewhere along the line the original XXX was renamed to 3120.

Isn't the red high gain channel on the JSX the same as the crunch channel from the XXX? From what I remember they shared some similar features and Peavey did some weird renaming of those 2 amps. Started with the JSX and XXX. Then when Satriani moved on they renamed the JSX to XXX-2. Then somewhere along the line the original XXX was renamed to 3120.
Correct. Red was based on the Triple XXX crunch channel. Amber was a tweaked Peavey Classic series drive channel. Joe loved the Classic Series combos, (also James Brown designed).

Gary Hoey was supposed to have a signature amp too, that was a tweaked XXX. Never came to be. He used XXX's for quite awhile before going to the EVH 100 watt.

Last edited:
Whoa, you guys really had me scratching my head reading "James Brown" designed Peavey amps because I was thinking "I feel good" James Brown somehow was related to amp designing LMAO

im a friedman fanboy, but i admit that the evh 5150 iii 50w series is possibly the best bang for the used buck out there, amazing blue and red channels on em all. massive smirk on my face playing through those

I am looking to get a high gain head for $1000 or under. Ideally I would get a Deliverance. I see 6505s for $700. Do those amps even remotely resemble an SLO? Anyway, what is a good buy for over the top gained out metal head?
For best value for money you buy used gear.
Begin with the 6505.
A better quality option is a Mesa Dual Rectifier but usually out of your budget.
Try a Mesa Single Rectifier Solo Head (2-Channel, 50-Watt) on modern mode, it should do it.

Other options would be:
Engl Powerball/Fireball
Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber with 4xEL84s
Mesa Boogie DC-5 or DC-10
EVH 5153 50w

Fryette and Soldano are out of your budget as well.
You shouldn't even look for a Soldano for that kind of music. It would be a waste of it's sonic characteristics/possibilities and your money.

If you live in the US, stick to US/MEXICO -made amps, as most european-made would be expensive for you.

Last edited:
Back