Metal head on a budget

I also bought my Mark IV for 1000 and it's a brutal amp but those days are gone at least for a little while longer. Now everybody want 2k.

What kind of tones do you like? I'm a huge carcass fan so I always go towards a 5150. I'm also a Mastodon and pelican fan so an 800 with a pedal would suit me for that kind of stuff.

Peavey is always a safe bet with the XXX, JSX, 5150 etc. Ceriatone for an 800 or hot rodded Marshall. You could possibly find a used splawn for around a grand. Single rectifiers, evh 50 watt heads.

Personally I've never played a Slo except with modelers and plugins so I say this fulling admitting I'm talking out my ass but I've never liked the Slo sound when I've used a profile or model of one. I know it's completely different ballgame but nothing has every made me want to explore it further especially at 3k a pop.

You could look into a KSR Ares for just a little north over 1k (probably 1500-1600 used). The Ceres and a good tube power amp is just as good imho. We are in a pretty awesome Era for getting good tones on any budget or size.
I fucking love carcass . Even Swansong was so good to me . I like all their albums

I'd go with what the others have said, EVH or Randall Diavlo 45. Don't get the 100w Diavlo...one I had was terrible.

I'd go with what the others have said, EVH or Randall Diavlo 45. Don't get the 100w Diavlo...one I had was terrible.
If I still had a strong back, I'd grab a JSX. That's the one cheaper amp with 2 USABLE gain channels. It's a killer amp with good tubes and good cab/speakers. Mine was downright nasty through my Greenback 4x12.

I bought my last 2 Splawn Competitions in mint condition for $900, and $1000. Too bad those days are gone!

Back