Metallica 72 Seasons A Year Later

PurityS.L.G

How we all feeling about this record now? I’ve grown to like it more since the first 2 listens no doubt but I still feel the songs are just too long and for no good reason. Also still not a fan of the guitar tones at all.

I guess I’m late to the party on this article but it seems Greg Fidelman wanted more gain on the guitars but James and Kirk wouldn’t let him so he gave in.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/if-...gether-in-the-studio-for-the-72-seasons-album

What a little bitch. Instead of submitting to the Lars and James show, he should’ve done what a real producer is paid to do and fight for what is right for the songs. You think old school Bob Rock would’ve let that shit fly? Put Ross Robinson in there, he would chuck Kirk’s Wah pedal right at his fucking head.

I get what you’re saying and agree with some of it. BUT, when Bob came along they were still pretty much underground, and he didn’t give a shit that they “were Metallica”. Like em or hate em, they’re now on or close to the Mount Rushmore of all time bands. It’s harder to tell a legend they’re fucking up.

I don't blame Greg, but the guitars ate definitely under-gained and realy lack aggression and attack. Overall the production and mix are passable, but is low on clarity and punch. In regards to the album, I still listen to it on occasion and feel that about half the songs are very solid.

72 Seasons is incredibly boring for me. On top of that they didn't even really tour heavy to support the album. At least they tried something different with St. Anger, and the LuLu album. I might get flamed here for saying that but, ah well. Metallica are who they are at this point.

theres a couple drums tracks on youtube for 72 Seasons, i home with the flu feeling like shit but maybe ill try and lay down some guitars with proper 86 Hetfield aggression

On top of that they didn't even really tour heavy to support the album.
Ummm...yeah they did, and now heading overseas next month.

theres a couple drums tracks on youtube for 72 Seasons, i home with the flu feeling like shit but maybe ill try and lay down some guitars with proper 86 Hetfield aggression
Please do. I'm sure your 6505+ and greenback combo can spank what they accomplished with their Jose Marshall, IIC+, VH4 and Wizard blend on that album. How can you have that arsenal and still fuck it up? 🤦‍♂️

Please do. I'm sure your 6505+ and greenback combo can spank what they accomplished with their Jose Marshall, IIC+, VH4 and Wizard blend on that album. How can you have that arsenal and still fuck it up? 🤦‍♂️

i really have no idea, it really is an incredible accomplishment if you think about it, its a tremendously hard thing to do.

I’d imagine producing those guys at this point is more like tossing out some soft suggestions and if they don’t bite, moving on. The only time they wanted someone telling them what to do was TBA and immediately after that started saying they were no longer interested in putting that kind of work into an album and haven’t changed their tune since.

I think I listened to it twice but never got all the way through. I remember digging some sections but no song grabbed me and made me want to hear it on repeat, but I also didn’t get the same feeling I used to get with 90’s Dream Theater albums, like I had to explore them before I understood them.

I liked the wave of singles they released for it and thought it was fine enough, but not enough to ever listen to it again. In 5 years I can't imagine Metallica themselves will ever listen to it much less play it again.

Ummm...yeah they did, and now heading overseas next month.

Well then matbe I should say they didnt come to my neck of the woods and now I'm mad. Denver matters :ROFLMAO:

Year later, i still like it, i still listen to it, i still dont like the guitar tones and wished they had more distortion, i still think some of the songs needed trimmed, but i didnt expect metallica to make a trash album or remake the first 4 albums, i know this is who they are at this point in life, and im fine with that, im glad they made the album and gave us some songs towards the end of their career, its better than nothing.

Upon revisiting it in the car recently most of my initial thoughts remain and like you guys said, most of the songs are just drawn out/unfocussed interchangeable filler material. The sounds are mushy and uninspiring. Lars still sounds lazy af. It's a very low bar they achieved.
The first three songs are just boring filler material. I much prefer the more interesting songs on the back half.

I put on the new Priest album and the grin returns. The guitars sound fkn amazing. It's inspiring to hear a bunch of guys their age bang out a veritable thrash song like "As God is my Witness".

Last edited:
It's crazy how metallica completely forgot how to write music at a certain point.

I don't think it's a stretch to say theres probably a dozen RTers, who, given the resources metallica has, could have come up with a way better album/songs/riffs/tones.

Back