Metallica ...Creeping Death... Now that's more like it.

Honky is right. It sounds like they purposefully scoop out all the low end. I could get that if the bass was pushed up in the mix, but that isn't happening either. Sounds brittle to me. That said, love the performance
Some of these responses are quite funny...I mean do you actually believe that the tiny speakers you are using to hear this thru your computer are similar and have the same sonic quality's of being there at the concert venue? I am sure it was exactly how you describe it :ROFLMAO:

I do love Rob's solid live tones. I wish they would give him more of that on the albums. His tone on the Through The Never soundtrack is great.
I wish Jason had been allowed his solid Garage Days sound on AJFA. It is what it is though.

DAMMIT Lars... why the hell didn't he do that classic fill when the drums come in... that was always one of the best parts of the damn song lol.

Some of these responses are quite funny...I mean do you actually believe that the tiny speakers you are using to hear this thru your computer are similar and have the same sonic quality's of being there at the concert venue? I am sure it was exactly how you describe it :ROFLMAO:

Weird how these same studio monitors I'm using, the same ones that Metallica's live guitars sound fantastic on when I listen to their shows from the late 80's, 90's, and early 2000's, show Metallica's guitars to sound weak and honky in that video.

It's not the speakers.

Last edited:
i guess it sounds better than a normal metallica performance :dunno: ill keep it at that to stay positive in a metallica live thread for once :giggle:

One of my favorite songs… not a fan of the tone on this. It’s a bit bloated. It is still super cool though.

This video is a great example of how shoddy Metallicas axefx tone is, when compared to the c+ era, Triaxis, marshall era, diezel era, etc.

They gotta work on dialing that stuff in - thin, honky, and weak is how I would describe this.

I've heard plenty of bands with decent modeler tone, but good lord is that bad compared to their real amp days.

DAMMIT Lars... why the hell didn't he do that classic fill when the drums come in... that was always one of the best parts of the damn song lol.
Tell me about it. Soon everything will be too hard to play and he’ll be miming to a tape. Then he’ll justify it by saying how Metallica has never given a fuck about audience expectations. Then he’ll go out and buy some more expensive paintings.

Kirk sounds ok on his own in the part where james has the mic out in the crowd not playing :dunno: then james comes back in and oof

This video is a great example of how shoddy Metallicas axefx tone is, when compared to the c+ era, Triaxis, marshall era, diezel era, etc.

They gotta work on dialing that stuff in - thin, honky, and weak is how I would describe this.

I've heard plenty of bands with decent modeler tone, but good lord is that bad compared to their real amp days.

Yep.

Modelers, the Axe-Fx specifically, can absolutely sound awesome, and often do. But these guys for sure don't have them dialed in anywhere near as well as they could.

Along with a handful of tube amps, I have an Axe-Fx 3 and totally love it, and I'll be the first to say it can sound as good as any tube amp BUT the danger of modelers these days is that they're kind of encyclopedic. They can be made to sound as good or as bad as you can make a tube rig sound. In my experience, being able to capture and send a good sounding signal into the DAW or PA board with any tube rig, ESPECIALLY a high gain rig, takes time and practice, and unfortuntely it's a lot easier to dial in crap than something special. Of course that doesn't really excuse Metallica, the richest metal band in the world who would have limitless resources to make themselves sound as awesome as possible, and not even just for fun but as a built in pillar of their entire business model, though. :)

I remember being excited when Metallica first adopted the Fractal stuff and thought that it might finally legitimize modelers in the eyes of a lot of the tube purists out there, but I think it's probably brought at least as much bad press to Fractal as good press. Sure, Metallica is publically using them now, but people who know the band are going to notice how much worse they sound these days, too. And they're going to blame the Axe-Fx's instead of the band's new gear/tonal choices.

Last edited:
I remember being excited when Metallica first adopted the Fractal stuff and thought that it might finally legitimize them in the eyes of a lot of the tube purists out there, but I think it's probably brought at least as much bad press to Fractal as good press. Sure, Metallica is publically using them now, but people who know the band are going to notice how much worse they sound these days, too. And they're going to blame the Axe-Fx's instead of the band's new gear/tonal choices.

I experimented with a powered Kemper and various axefx rigs for a while, but eventually went back to tube amps. If I used an axefx now, it would be as a rack effects processor in 4cm or something, and as an emergency backup. I love the scope and breadth of the time based effects.

I just personally don't care for the feel, and it didn't "do it" for me tonewise, as far as the amp modeling goes. I have pretty specific tastes and needs.

But that doesn't mean they can't be dialed in to sound great; they most certainly can. And I mean ALL the major modeling players Kemper, axefx, line 6, QC, etc. Plenty of bands I've seen live, like Accept and testament, get fantastic tones out of their modeling gear.

It just seems insane to me that the biggest metal band in the god damn world sounds like complete ass with a whole crew to help run sound and dial those axefx racks in.

And, for better or worse, it happened when they publicly switched to modeling. So now that's going to be correlated in people's minds.

Back