Metallica "Sad but True" on Howard Stern

Im not hearing a pitch detune on Sad But True. Maybe a tad bit slower. Wherever I May Roam is 1/2 step down. The Axe FX doesnt seem to have the gain and clarity dialed in for them that they were used to in their prime. Hammett sounds like he's struggling with the faster stuff. Not as much sustain

This is my Black Album preset using an Ibanez RG1570 with a Tone Zone

Im not hearing a pitch detune on Sad But True. Maybe a tad bit slower. Wherever I May Roam is 1/2 step down. The Axe FX doesnt seem to have the gain and clarity dialed in for them that they were used to in their prime. Hammett sounds like he's struggling with the faster stuff. Not as much sustain

This is my Black Album preset using an Ibanez RG1570 with a Tone Zone

Hey, didn’t you get the memo? No decent Axe-Fx tones allowed in this thread. The Axe-Fx is SUPPOSED to be the scapegoat solely responsible for Metallica’s guitar tone decline which started when St Anger was released in 2003, over 10 years before they started using them.

Last edited:
Hey, didn’t you get the memo? No decent Axe-Fx tones allowed in this thread. The Axe-Fx is SUPPOSED to be the scapegoat solely responsible for Metallica’s guitar tone decline which started when St Anger was released in 2003, over 10 years before they started using them.
I wouldn't say thats what people are doing. Their declining tone was well discussed before the Axe hit the scene. I started noticing it on live vids when James was using Diezel. Using less gain and a softer top end. The tight, razor "shjunk" was gone. I've heard too many decent clips of the Axe to think it's the sole cause. It's just what they're dialing in. James went "Gear Page" after the load era..lol

Xqu2WnLoUZRO6osBEA95OalB3wyfdjMsAtlk-H1TTkSNBvH9Paj5rbPm41KMfW2pIXyr2nc7CYfAGb9fb8k5HtS2mGoJfEu6PlPa7YRM

thumb_158426408_289280406044165_7490751263444418464_n-2644474606.jpg

ecb.jpeg

Last edited:
I think those Kimmel '' sunset at the observatory" clips actually sounded pretty good. And they sound a lot better than when they were using Diezels, IMO.

I wouldn't say thats what people are doing. Their declining tone was well discussed before the Axe hit the scene. I started noticing it on live vids when James was using Diezel. Using less gain and a softer top end. The tight, razor "shjunk" was gone. I've heard too many decent clips of the Axe to think it's the sole cause. It's just what they're dialing in. James went "Gear Page" after the load era..lol

Yep, totally agree. Metallica's tone started getting worse exactly around the time James started incorporating VH4's into his rig.

Not to dogpile but I've played a couple of VH4's and I've never liked them, especially for chunky Metallica type tones. They're obviously very well engineered, high quality amps, but all you have to do is listen to Metallica starting in the mid 2000's and beyond to hear for yourself that they're not doing the band any favors.

I’m just glad they captured the ‘89 Seattle concert so we get good footage and sound of them, when they were still the band I remember as on top of the mountain.

Last edited:

looks like the data graph of my personality :D do you all stay the same person that you were when you were 22? you 50 somethings, you still got the piss and vinegar you had at 22? you still in that same headspace, or have you moved on? Metallica progresses, they're not all of their former peers, who are scared to deviate from their formula and grow up a bit. they're a band in it for the gusto. They always wanted to be big, not obscure. they haven't tried to be the poster boys for thrash in 30 years or more. lars was talking shit about the term "thrash" as early as 86 in interviews. anyone who ACTUALLY followed metallica this whole time, paid attention to what they say in interviews, and is also a musician will maybe kinda get their progression. To me, it seems totally normal, but for some reason, people still are bummed that metallica change things up every record, or every few records now. metallica discussion truly brings out the worst in people lol

dude has got bucks, and your ass doesn't. don't hate. can you me make a cynic-o-graph that shows how hip hop artists dress(camo cargo shorts, black logo shirt, $1500 sneakers, and 100k in gaudy ass jewlery because "THE CULTURE MAN1!!!" ), compared to their fans who are all low level, gangster wannabees, with knockoffs, and green spots from fake gold, posting up pics with guns and fake brand names. I'm in detroit, thats all i see. Het is just living his best life, while your ass is punching the clock.

Last edited:
dude has got bucks, and your ass doesn't. don't hate. can you me make a cynic-o-graph that shows how hip hop artists dress(camo cargo shorts, black logo shirt, $1500 sneakers, and 100k in gaudy ass jewlery because "THE CULTURE MAN1!!!" ), compared to their fans who are all low level, gangster wannabees, with knockoffs, and green spots from fake gold, posting up pics with guns and fake brand names. I'm in detroit, thats all i see. Het is just living his best life, while your ass is punching the clock.
SAD BUT TRUEEEE-AHHH-----UHHHH--YEAEAHHH---YA---BETCHAA-MAAAAN-

looks like the data graph of my personality :D do you all stay the same person that you were when you were 22? you 50 somethings, you still got the piss and vinegar you had at 22? you still in that same headspace, or have you moved on? Metallica progresses, they're not all of their former peers, who are scared to deviate from their formula and grow up a bit. they're a band in it for the gusto. They always wanted to be big, not obscure. they haven't tried to be the poster boys for thrash in 30 years or more. lars was talking shit about the term "thrash" as early as 86 in interviews. anyone who ACTUALLY followed metallica this whole time, paid attention to what they say in interviews, and is also a musician will maybe kinda get their progression. To me, it seems totally normal, but for some reason, people still are bummed that metallica change things up every record, or every few records now. metallica discussion truly brings out the worst in people lol
Seems JH fell off the wagon last couple years or whatever. My wish for him would be that he be happy & healthy and at peace with himself & those in his life.
But if he steps into the "metal" arena he should "bring it." Kinda hard to out-do your own persona.
They sold us on stainless steel not tofu for 40 years.
Im sure he will get back into the groove if he keeps at it.
After getting sober again & 2 years of covid its an adjustment.
As for posting here just some internet humor, not an indictment on the band.
Whatvever Metallica wants to do in life is fine by me but not going to affect day to day operations here.

This is the James Hetfield i know & love. He speaks for all of us from that era that tried to make it while working crappy jobs & raising families struggling for everything.
He made it, and that's nothing short of Miraculous and he should be proud.

Last edited:
Back