MIDI Controllers?

kannibul

I've got on order a G-major-2 and pending if I like it...I'll be strongly considering a MIDI-switch/controller for it...

So, other than the Behringer unit, what else is out there that would work well with a JVM and a G-Major?

An expression pedal (or two?) is more than likely going to be a nessicity.

Thanks!

Yeah, that seems to be the only other one I've found that has expression pedal(s) - and it's more than 2x as much.

The Behringer unit might be the answer - lol...

SkyhighRocks":3alpte04 said:
i've used the behringer countless times with a gmajor and JVM...works flawlessly.

Yep I did that also. Had the exact same rig at one time and the Behringer worked perfect. Great controller for the money.

Jeff, what exactly do you need the controller to do? some guys(like me) are happy with just presets and some guys want presets along with Instant access control of specific parameters..

Kage

Gainzilla":wpbtlfkf said:
Jeff, what exactly do you need the controller to do? some guys(like me) are happy with just presets and some guys want presets along with Instant access control of specific parameters..

Kage

It'd be for swapping patches but also to use the wah feature of the GM2, and the second pedal would probably act as a volume control or some other variable.

Buy a Rocktron midi controller and two pedals. Or get the Behringer. Or prepare to spend bigger bucks.

kannibul":30zuxeou said:
Gainzilla":30zuxeou said:

Kage

It'd be for swapping patches but also to use the wah feature of the GM2, and the second pedal would probably act as a volume control or some other variable.
So how does the wah feature work? dedicated jack in the back of the GM2 or expression pedal? If its the first, you can get away with something small but if its the second youd want a controller with expression pedal jacks...

Rocktron midimate has two controller jacks I think. I bought a newer Ground Control Pro and really dig it, especially with my Axe-FX.

Pete

stratotone":27nf47ar said:
Rocktron midimate has two controller jacks I think. I bought a newer Ground Control Pro and really dig it, especially with my Axe-FX.

Pete

I love my all access, Built like a tank, 2 controller ins and 15 presets per bank, more than I could use in one night of covers..

I have an ART X-11 (no pedals) for just MIDI channel switching; I have an ADA MXC that accepts up to two expression pedals, and a quad switch (CC for turning effects on/off).

I like the MXC due to its small form factor, and you can get them cheap (about the price of a MIDI Mouse, ~ $100) sometimes on evilbay. The MPC looks the same as the MXC but only does bank/channel change. Be sure its an MXC if you go this way. The ADA units support phantom power too.

Gainzilla":b96sztyv said:
kannibul":b96sztyv said:
Gainzilla":b96sztyv said:

Kage

So how does the wah feature work? dedicated jack in the back of the GM2 or expression pedal? If its the first, you can get away with something small but if its the second youd want a controller with expression pedal jacks...

I'm pretty sure the wah feature is controlled by midi, I don't thiink there's a seperate jack.

kannibul":3azas2dy said:
I'm pretty sure the wah feature is controlled by midi, I don't thiink there's a seperate jack.

Is the 4CM available with the new gmajor? Otherwise that wah will sound like crap going through the amp loop.

SkyhighRocks":1b6v65ao said:
kannibul":1b6v65ao said:

Is the 4CM available with the new gmajor? Otherwise that wah will sound like crap going through the amp loop.

I dunno - I heard the video clip on the TC Electronic website, and I thought it sounded pretty good.

Looked like he was using a seperate expression pedal...

stratotone":3p2gp3xr said:

Pete

I love the GCP, really great display, and a ease to setup patches and add new midi devices. What I like about it is the ability to name the preset so you don't have to remember what each bank / number has. :thumbsup:

GCP is a great, inexpensive unit. So easy to program, that I can program new patches while playing.

I also use an expression pedal, but for me, there's no need for more then 1 with the way the GCP is set up. I don't think I'll ever need to control more then one parameter with an expression pedal. BTW, I use an EB Jr Volume pedal as an expression pedal.

Jordon":1u94b5kr said:
GCP is a great, inexpensive unit. So easy to program, that I can program new patches while playing.

I also use an expression pedal, but for me, there's no need for more then 1 with the way the GCP is set up. I don't think I'll ever need to control more then one parameter with an expression pedal. BTW, I use an EB Jr Volume pedal as an expression pedal.

Wow never knew my EB Volume Pedal can be used a expression, I'll try that tonight with my G-force. Is it pretty easy to setup?

cyndicate":b472nx8o said:
Wow never knew my EB Volume Pedal can be used a expression, I'll try that tonight with my G-force. Is it pretty easy to setup?

yeah, i'm also using an EB Jr. pedal to control my Digitech Whammy pedal through the GCP. the only thing is you need a a 1/4" Insert Point Cable, like this one http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSSTP20

you have to run the black stereo end out of the pedal out (either pedal 1 or pedal 2) on the GCP and then run the Ring of the 1/4" cable to the EB Jr.'s input and the Tip of the 1/4" cable to the EB Jr.'s output. there's a tiny bit of programming through the Setup menu on the GCP but it should be explained in the manual.

works flawlessly, btw.

Back