Might you be building cabs again or soon?

bhuard75

Hello Jim

Hope all is well on your end. I believe to have read in another thread that you were building the naked 412 Scumback cabs again? Or soon?

I'm meeting with a cab guy next week. Have to see what it will cost. I know the furniture grade Baltic Birch 11 ply 5x5 foot sheet is now $115 each, which is what you need for a single 4x12 cab.

Hopefully it can be done, toying around with just doing NAKED cabs since everyone seems to like those the best. I'll announce it if it happens.

I'm meeting with a cab guy next week. Have to see what it will cost. I know the furniture grade Baltic Birch 11 ply 5x5 foot sheet is now $115 each, which is what you need for a single 4x12 cab.

Hopefully it can be done, toying around with just doing NAKED cabs since everyone seems to like those the best. I'll announce it if it happens.
Isn’t fabled 18 ply Baltic Birch available to mere mortals nowadays?

There’s alternatives for the Baltic. I would check around Jim. If you need any help on my end just shout. I have not priced anything for awhile but last time I checked domestic white birch was half the price of Baltic. Not sure about eucalyptus.

There’s alternatives for the Baltic. I would check around Jim. If you need any help on my end just shout. I have not priced anything for awhile but last time I checked domestic white birch was half the price of Baltic. Not sure about eucalyptus.
I've tried poplar, regular white birch, and pine. The baltic birch (11 ply) BB3 grade (furniture grade) just has the right tone, just like the 60/70's Marshall cabs. Cab maker didn't work out, lost his shop, and the landed cost (minus tolex/cloth) was going to be around $700, then I had to put tolex on them, cloth, piping, handles, casters, etc. The cab would have been a small fortune with speakers, probably around $2000. Back when baltic birch was $56 per 5x5 sheet (bought in bulk of course) it was a lot more reasonable. Now that has almost tripled in the last 10 years, so I decided against offering cabs again. The shipping costs were just outrageous as well, over $500 per 4x12 plus packing and the total cab costs would be over $2600. Personally I think that's just too much.

Back