Minimum Wage Hike in U.S.

I didn't read the entire thread.

All I will say is that I think it's kind of pointless, because minimum wage is basically what high school kids get paid, and they USUALLY get more than that.

The lowest I have ever been paid is $6/hr, and I've also never worked with anyone trying to make a living off of that.

You can easily just be a waiter and make way more money than the minimum wage can ever be. And once again, I've known people who did that in high school. You could surely do better than that if you are looking for a serious job.

They'd probably have to raise it to like $15/hr for anyone to be able to really live off of it.

And let's face it concerning the statistics posted in this thread, the majority of the adults making minimum wage are illegal immigrants. That is a completely different topic altogether, but what does it say that they are willing to come here and work for minimum wage and consider themselves better off here than where they came from?

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":d2c5d said:
And let's face it concerning the statistics posted in this thread, the majority of the adults making minimum wage are illegal immigrants. That is a completely different topic altogether, but what does it say that they are willing to come here and work for minimum wage and consider themselves better off here than where they came from?

What happened to your previous post? I liked that shark picture with the pilot fish :D

* Over 650 economists, including five Nobel Prize winners and six past presidents of the American Economics Association, recently signed a statement stating that federal and state minimum wage increases “can significantly improve the lives of low-income workers and their families, without the adverse effects that critics have claimedâ€

Concerning that quote, I'm not sure how you take money from one source and give it to another and that first source doesn't suffer any adverse effects. Of course, I'm not a Nobel Prize winner, but it seems to me if you take money from Peter to pay Paul, Peter's gonna be pissed.

I just figured out about how much it would cost the owner where I last worked to give everyone $1/hr more for a year:

$15,000

This is with just 4 employees working at a time at most, with most of them just being paid $7/hr, mostly with just 3 employees there from 11 AM-9:30 PM or so.

They could afford it, but that's a pretty big change all at once. I kind of doubt a business like that grows $15,000 per year.

Sean, there is a lot of cost involved in running a business that you are completely ignoring. Take a microeconomics class and it might open your eyes to how little the typical small business owner makes in the end. After taxes, fixed costs of simply running a business (especially retail) etc., it's not like most small business owners are sitting on a fat stack of cash.

To everyone else in the thread, do you think there should be a minimum wage at all? If so, what should it be and what should determine what it is?

Tyler

>|<>QBB<
MitchSchaft":3a505 said:
>|<>QBB<

who is deleting posts?

I don't know. I had a post in this thread with a pic attached and everything. It ripped on the original poster quite a bit. Then a half hour later the post is vanished into thin air. I thought maybe I was going crazy, but Shiny Surface saw it too so.....

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":b015f said:
>|<>QBB<

I don't know. I had a post in this thread with a pic attached and everything. It ripped on the original poster quite a bit. Then a half hour later the post is vanished into thin air. I thought maybe I was going crazy, but Shiny Surface saw it too so.....

It seems several posts have disappeared today. I've had the board not available a few times today, but posts disappearing doesn't happen all on its own.

Mitch, are there any audit logs that can be checked?

>|<>QBB<
TWPietz37":2c492 said:
To everyone else in the thread, do you think there should be a minimum wage at all? If so, what should it be and what should determine what it is?

Tyler

No, because there basically isn't one already. Like I said, high school kids get paid more than minimum wage.

If you took it away, then what would it matter?

>|<>QBB<
cloudnine":169c8 said:
Kay.

Maybe you guys didn't notice, but I ALREADY SUBTRACTED HALF OF WHAT I SOLD FOR BILLS AND INVENTORY, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW SOMETIMES THE OWNER PAYS AS LITTLE AS 20% OF THE RETAIL PRICE OF THE SHOE.

He's not making 50% profit on each sale. Trust me. One of my family's best friends happens to have owned a retail shoe business for close to 25 years. I worked for a little while running his inventory chain. He might've made 10-15% profit on each sale.

>|<>QBB<
Variable":c7bf5 said:
So nobody has anything to say about that quote? I figured people would be all over it... :(

Sure - all the 7-11, Dell Taco, Burger King, Mc Donalds, Wendy's,...workers will have a few more bucks, and continue to be stuck in a dead-end job. I guess if they stayed there for 5 years and become a manager, they might go up to $10/hr.

Yippy!

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":67323 said:
>|<>QBB<

It seems several posts have disappeared today. I've had the board not available a few times today, but posts disappearing doesn't happen all on its own.

Mitch, are there any audit logs that can be checked?

This might be because Lunarpages had to move our site over to another server. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Back