Modulation effects and Captor X

Manuel

Hi! I need your help! I've a Marshall JCM 800 and a Two Notes Captor X with Torpedo Remote.
I use them only in my home recording studio.
The stereo sound that comes out from the Captor X goes into my DAW with 2 XLR cables.
I need to add some chorus, flanger and delay effects to the sound.
I've exclued the use of some plug-in in the DAW because they add the effects after the Captor X and therefore after the cabinet.
What is the best way to add these effects?
Thank you very much!

Hey Manuel, there are a couple of ways to do it - most people go direct to the modulation effects before their amp, but you know, that will give you a particular sound - a lot of people like the modulation to go after the gain stages. Does the 800 have an FX loop? If so, best to put it in there. If you want the modulation to go after the amp so to speak, you would have to put it after the Captor X - there are loads of stereo stomp boxes out there that can do this, the Wampler Terraform, the Strymons, Source Audio - What I personally tend to do is put them in via my DAW, but make sure there is a blend control on them, so I can bleed back the original signal to make it sound like I want - it's all about finding the best way for you - most go via the DAW though

Another way of doing this...

When you register your Captor X, it creates a licence that follows "you around" - you can then download the Wall of Sound plug in and use all the cabinets you have with your Captor X (and any others that you may have bought). Turn the cabinets emulation off in the wall of sound, go into the interface, apply the effects in your DAW and then use the Wall of Sound to apply the cabinet emulation!

https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-series/torpedo-wall-of-sound/

Hi Jason!
Thank you very much for your advices!
Unfortunately the JCM 800 do not have an FX loop.
However, if I understand correctly, the use of Wall of sound plug-in makes it unnecessary the Captor X and JCM 800.
Maybe the simplest way is some plug-in in the DAW after Captor X.
Sorry, what does it means "make sure there is a blend control on them, so I can bleed back the original signal to make it sound like I want".
Can you suggest me some good plug-in?
Thank you very much!

Hi @Manuel,
Ross from Two notes here. What DAW are you using out of interest? If you can send me this information I can have a look at the stock plugins for you and advise on what might work well!

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Hey @Manuel,

Thanks for that! Studio One's FX are really good - the chorus is exceptional. My suggestion would be to:
  1. Run both a wet and dry signal into your DAW and capture 2 tracks - one with the cab sim and one without - this can be setup in Torpedo remote with the DUAL/MONO routing which will bypass Torpedo Processing on the RIGHT output.
  2. I suggest a wet signal simply for monitoring when recording
  3. The dry signal is the one you want to use for mixing
  4. On the Dry signal's channel, load up the stock modulation effect of your choice - your Depth control on these adjusts the mix between the processed and unprocessed signals.
  5. Then load Wall of Sound post your modulation FX for your cabinet simulation!
Please let me know if this helps!

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

By blend control, I mean the 0%-100% wet on the effect itself. I use Studio One 5 myself, and often put in a chorus but put the blend quite low, so the effect is very subtle but really fattens it out :)

@RossJohnDavies
Thank you very much! You opened up a world!
Let me know if I understand correctly.
1) If I want use stereo effects of torpedo remote (twin tracker, rev, etc.) I leave everithing as it is.
2) If I want use some effects i switch from stereo to dual mono and then select "Bypass" on rigth exit. Then in the DAW I create an instrument (mono), I add the modulation effects and than wall of sound for cabinet.
3) Eventually I could enter with the right dry exit of Captor X in my old Roland GP 16 guitar processor and then in DAW + wall of sound

By blend control, I mean the 0%-100% wet on the effect itself. I use Studio One 5 myself, and often put in a chorus but put the blend quite low, so the effect is very subtle but really fattens it out :)
Thank you!
What is the chorus that you use? This one?

Attachments

• chorus.jpg
    chorus.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 74
@RossJohnDavies
Thank you very much! You opened up a world!
Let me know if I understand correctly.
1) If I want use stereo effects of torpedo remote (twin tracker, rev, etc.) I leave everithing as it is.
2) If I want use some effects i switch from stereo to dual mono and then select "Bypass" on rigth exit. Then in the DAW I create an instrument (mono), I add the modulation effects and than wall of sound for cabinet.
3) Eventually I could enter with the right dry exit of Captor X in my old Roland GP 16 guitar processor and then in DAW + wall of sound
Hey @Manuel

Thanks for getting back to me. In answer to your questions.
1 - Yep absolutely!
2 - Yep, that is correct
3 - You Sure can! :)

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Back