molested my cobra

dwizted

Did the black face mod. Installed a mecury magnetics output transformer and choke. Thing sounds crazy good. It sounded great before but sounds a little bit clearer and the notes just bloom out of this girl a bit better now. The choke I believe made her a whole lot quieter and a bit thicker.

Attachments

• 20130331_001741.jpg
    20130331_001741.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 957
  • 20130331_181114.jpg
    20130331_181114.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 952
I was thinking about getting rid of mine, can you shoot me the info on what all you did to it if you dont mind please? Looks great, thank you for this!!!

It is crazy how much a choke will improve an amp. My JVM with the choke has almost zero noise after installing a 10H choke. I don't play super high gain, but anyone that owns or has played a JVM will tell you that they can get hissy on the OD channel easy. I used to own a Cobra while playing metal and I agree with others that it was hands down the meanest metal amp that I have played.

You know, I thought that as well... but man the 5150, and triple rec modded by Kyle Rhodes sure gives my cobra a run for its money. The VH4 isnt any slouch either. If I had to pick one out of them all it would have to be that damn Triple Rec that Kyle modded. I got to push it past 6 on the volume today and made my ears bleed for awhile. It shit all over my Cobra!!!

Wow that looks killer!

Are there different revisions of the Cobra? Some guys get insane tones from them but I borrowed a friends a while back and that thing was CRAZY flat and generally flat sounding. Fizzy and very quiet on the dirty channels. Full retube then a trip to the amp tech and it was given a clean bill of health :confused:

Post some clips of your beast!!

Yep tripple rectifiers are one of the loudest amps on the planet and I am sure Kyle put plenty of mojo into that thing. Kyle is an awesome amp builder...The Cobra sounds killer though with the up grade. Trick to the cobra is cranking up the pre amp volume up to around 3 0 clock and master to taste.I dont know how much you use a clean channel but man the clean is freaken awesome now.
Pm your way on what I did and parts. Next thing I am going to do is mod the loop with a switch to toggle between series and parallel then it will be a perfect amp for me.

fluff191":14u9nrx2 said:
Wow that looks killer!

Are there different revisions of the Cobra? Some guys get insane tones from them but I borrowed a friends a while back and that thing was CRAZY flat and generally flat sounding. Fizzy and very quiet on the dirty channels. Full retube then a trip to the amp tech and it was given a clean bill of health :confused:

Post some clips of your beast!!

I will Fluff having an ampfest in Dallas this weekend so I will get someone that knows how to play a bit better than I can do some clips. Yes there is two or three revisions. Mine is the first revision with out the external bias points. I have had two others and this one was the best sounding one by far.

This thread would have been much better if it had been titled "Molested by cobra"

Nice Dave! Heard great/bad things about this amp. Certain giant trucker invited me down; wish I could make it sooner rather than later. Can't wait for clips.

Looks good man! I like the look of the Cobra amp much better blacked-out like this. I've seen a few on sevenstring.org that guys have done and they look very cool.

I owned a Cobra for like 2 weeks. Not a fan of the amp, but definitely has it going on it the looks department.

dwizted":2p5hb7vw said:
Yep tripple rectifiers are one of the loudest amps on the planet and I am sure Kyle put plenty of mojo into that thing. Kyle is an awesome amp builder...The Cobra sounds killer though with the up grade. Trick to the cobra is cranking up the pre amp volume up to around 3 0 clock and master to taste.I dont know how much you use a clean channel but man the clean is freaken awesome now.
Pm your way on what I did and parts. Next thing I am going to do is mod the loop with a switch to toggle between series and parallel then it will be a perfect amp for me.

Looking forward to clips, for sure. The cleans are already awesome to me. Can't wait. I may end up doing something similar. Might build a new head shell for mine too. The one I have is as perfect as it's gunna get, but there's a lot to be desired from the factory. Delicate tolex and the structures a little rickety. Love that sound though! Good lord..

Back from the dead. Did you ever post clips of this serpent anywhere? Going to go the same rout, but with a variable choke.

Happen to still have this beast?

Back