Mooer Noise Killer anyone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zado
  • Start date Start date
If you have a couple low ma analog units you can always get something like Voodoo Labs 4 or CIOKS 4 to power the stuff and daisy chain without noise added. Switching is just the best now and little to no noise floor thanks to the filtering and takes a bunch of noise floor out especially if you play louder. Fender Engine Rooms aren't bad either or the True Tone stuff is pretty good too.


But IME a good noise gate helps a lot as well especially when you're stacking and cascading a couple pedals on top of an already cooked amp it's a godsend from heaven when used right.

Ok so I've tried running just my 2 main dirt stomps (which arent super higain tbh), both powered with 1Spot, into my amps (with some decent gain), and there's definitely some hiss & noise when setting go on the extreme side (which is what I'm likely gonna use). So yeah, I guess the isolated psu is gonna help a lil, but likely wont get rid of the whole noise thing.

@Zado

Have you seen the ISP deci-mate?

The mooer stuff i've had has been okay, but half of them have broken with even minor gigging use just FYI. Sounded/worked fine though.

The decimate is a much, much better built product and still quite cheap.

Spend the extra money and get the ISP mini Desimate.

Had no idea the minime version existed! Looks sweet, and based on the X version of the pedal... what's the difference with the old Decimator, and various ISP Decimator versions in general? Is the II better than the I?

Also, I recall reading it's a digital based pedal, so does it entirely convert the signal into digital or let the analog dry thru?
 
Last edited:
Ok so I've tried running just my 2 main dirt stomps (which arent super higain tbh), both powered with 1Spot, into my amps (with some decent gain), and there's definitely some hiss & noise when setting go on the extreme side (which is what I'm likely gonna use). So yeah, I guess the isolated psu is gonna help a lil, but likely wont get rid of the whole noise thing.





Had no idea the minime version existed! Looks sweet, and based on the X version of the pedal... what's the difference with the old Decimator, and various ISP Decimator versions in general? Is the II better than the I?

Also, I recall reading it's a digital based pedal, so does it entirely convert the signal into digital or let the analog dry thru?
Yeah inherently IME depending on quality of pedal and PSU used your always going to have inherent noise floor.....

Usually when I do this stuff to see I kind of open the amp and put a towel over the guitar strings or something so it won't feedback. I open the amp up and either right before feedback or bring the volume down on the guitar to see how much bleeds through.


In some cases the amp itself has inherent noise that simply adding a PSU to the chain can lower overall noise floor thanks to the filtering. The thing I'm saying is your always going to have inherent noise floor but you can reduce it with a quality PSU IME.
 
Don't take my word for it check it out..... Here I shaved off around 15+ decibels..... Just by adding the PSU....

And yeah its a big difference especially late at night and shit or if you're recording I imagine, the pedals just feel better too and than batteries. You just can't beat the noise filtering on these things.

Also an older vid of when I used to sell CIOKS, sorry for the gnarly beard fucking Quarantine 😂


 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: rsm
Ok so I've tried running just my 2 main dirt stomps (which arent super higain tbh), both powered with 1Spot, into my amps (with some decent gain), and there's definitely some hiss & noise when setting go on the extreme side (which is what I'm likely gonna use). So yeah, I guess the isolated psu is gonna help a lil, but likely wont get rid of the whole noise thing.





Had no idea the minime version existed! Looks sweet, and based on the X version of the pedal... what's the difference with the old Decimator, and various ISP Decimator versions in general? Is the II better than the I?

Also, I recall reading it's a digital based pedal, so does it entirely convert the signal into digital or let the analog dry thru?
I have used several noise gate pedals and also the ones in rack units. What you need to know.... all noise gates will affect your core tone. In my experience, the ISP units do it the least. They are a simple one knob unit that just seems to work. I HATE amp hiss. The ISP Deci-Mate does a great job at killing the hiss and keeping my signal clear. I have mine placed at the start of my effects loop chain. I have the older unit that does not have the key switch input. Since I don't play modern metal, I have never really been worried about the key switch input. All I know is that it kills all the hiss on my EVH 5150 III Stealth even on the red channel.
 
I don't want to say that a PSU is better than a Noise Gate to kill noise or remove it and they are different tools for different things but all in all its solid IME to have a decent PSU as well.
 
Yeah inherently IME depending on quality of pedal and PSU used your always going to have inherent noise floor.....

Usually when I do this stuff to see I kind of open the amp and put a towel over the guitar strings or something so it won't feedback. I open the amp up and either right before feedback or bring the volume down on the guitar to see how much bleeds through.


In some cases the amp itself has inherent noise that simply adding a PSU to the chain can lower overall noise floor thanks to the filtering. The thing I'm saying is your always going to have inherent noise floor but you can reduce it with a quality PSU IME.
Don't take my word for it check it out..... Here I shaved off around 15+ decibels..... Just by adding the PSU....

And yeah its a big difference especially late at night and shit or if you're recording I imagine, the pedals just feel better too and than batteries. You just can't beat the noise filtering on these things.

Also an older vid of when I used to sell CIOKS, sorry for the gnarly beard fucking Quarantine 😂




Imho some noise from the amp has to be expected when going higain, it's part of the deal I guess... Maybe I'm saying this cause I've always gigged decently silent amps, while there are many noisy monsters out there :ROFLMAO: I just don't like hearing an overwhelming hiss/crackle mess when not playing because my gain stomps are on, so I either have to off em every now and then, or just go with the gate and call it a day. But a fine psu is definitely on my list now, as I also play low gain, classic rock stuff and I don't want the gate to be always in the way.

I have used several noise gate pedals and also the ones in rack units. What you need to know.... all noise gates will affect your core tone. In my experience, the ISP units do it the least. They are a simple one knob unit that just seems to work. I HATE amp hiss. The ISP Deci-Mate does a great job at killing the hiss and keeping my signal clear. I have mine placed at the start of my effects loop chain. I have the older unit that does not have the key switch input. Since I don't play modern metal, I have never really been worried about the key switch input. All I know is that it kills all the hiss on my EVH 5150 III Stealth even on the red channel.

I recall the 5150 III being one of those hissing monsters, never gigged one but definitely heard some noise when I played with a friend who had one. I hope the tonal change the pedal gives isn't anything major, and it's worth the candle!
 
Imho some noise from the amp has to be expected when going higain, it's part of the deal I guess... Maybe I'm saying this cause I've always gigged decently silent amps, while there are many noisy monsters out there :ROFLMAO: I just don't like hearing an overwhelming hiss/crackle mess when not playing because my gain stomps are on, so I either have to off em every now and then, or just go with the gate and call it a day. But a fine psu is definitely on my list now, as I also play low gain, classic rock stuff and I don't want the gate to be always in the way.



I recall the 5150 III being one of those hissing monsters, never gigged one but definitely heard some noise when I played with a friend who had one. I hope the tonal change the pedal gives isn't anything major, and it's worth the candle!
Yup a higher noise floor can be like Chinese water torture in that sense. Here is another example of the power of a solid PSU using the CIOKs DC7 here again.



Mind me for the Al-Quarantine/Pandemic beard.... All I needed was a Volleyball named Wilson 😂


 
Last edited:
Boss NS 2 makes any amp tight af and sound better if you know how to use it . It makes tone better .
 
Boss NS 2 makes any amp tight af and sound better if you know how to use it . It makes tone better .

I recall readin quite often that it sorta kills your high end, which is something I want to avoid at all cost. Like, I prefer noise to high end loss:oops:
 
I recall readin quite often that it sorta kills your high end, which is something I want to avoid at all cost. Like, I prefer noise to high end loss:oops:
It comes with their territory with a lot of noise gates but in this case then you want the ISP stuff, save up and check out a mini.

But in either case all things said it comes with the territory and a Boss or MXR ain't bad.....

Also as said if you only run low current analog units mainly check out a CIOKS 4, Voodoo Labs x 4, a TrueTone or Strymon Ojai, Fender Engine room etc etc. Plenty of power and can even daisy chain without noise added thanks to the filtering.
 
I recall readin quite often that it sorta kills your high end, which is something I want to avoid at all cost. Like, I prefer noise to high end loss:oops:
Not in any way . That’s what readjusting adding more treble back from the eq is . If something is missing when you turn gate on you just bring it back . It makes your high end chunkier and clearer if you know how to use the 2 knobs and amp eq right
I show people who say they hate them in person how to use them right and it’s quite opposite . Will improve and give you the highs you need if used right
 
Not in any way . That’s what readjusting adding more treble back from the eq is . If something is missing when you turn gate on you just bring it back . It makes your high end chunkier and clearer if you know how to use the 2 knobs and amp eq right
I show people who say they hate them in person how to use them right and it’s quite opposite . Will improve and give you the highs you need if used right

So it's one of those "user error" kind of thing, not surprisingly
 
So it's one of those "user error" kind of thing, not surprisingly
Its one of those things that comes with approach, feel, skill and experience.

Aside from a solid PSU IME a good noise clamp/suppressor ain't bad IMO *_*
 

Similar threads

Back
Top