Attachments

• F6C14F84-28AE-410A-A4DC-1AB5D9AD000A.jpeg
    F6C14F84-28AE-410A-A4DC-1AB5D9AD000A.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 16
I can't pick just one...

Peavey 5150
EVH 5153 (the Iconic is damn good tho)
Splawn

I just don't care for any of those. I've had a Nitro(yuck), played a QR(was OK at best), owned 4 5153s (both stealth 100s, 2 50w), and I've never heard a live 5150 sound decent nor the one I played through years back (backline rig).

Sorry!

That might be the source of my distaste for them - I'm not a big fan of "easy to play" type high gain amps, and that price though

I've ABed a BE100 (granted, not the new deluxe version) my friend used to own with some really, really heavy hitters that have passed through my hands, and it sounded like a toy compared to them :dunno:

I can see the appeal though, honestly, especially for lead focused players who want something forgiving and easy to get sounding youtube video ready.
They're too polite. He needs to take that PT20 V2 voicing and put it into a 50 watt. That's the best sounding Friedman I've owned.

Roland Cube, Fender Mustang, Boss Katana, Fender Tone Master modeling amp. I hate all the endless forum chatter for a year and a half when those crappy amps are new and a buncha suckers post "sold my (insert nice amp) for (insert digital pile of dog crap amp)" or noobs post "gOt mY kNeW tOaN-mAsTer"

Roland Cube, Fender Mustang, Boss Katana, Fender Tone Master modeling amp. I hate all the endless forum chatter for a year and a half when those crappy amps are new and a buncha suckers post "sold my (insert nice amp) for (insert digital pile of dog crap amp)" or noobs post "gOt mY kNeW tOaN-mAsTer"

The Boss Katana is an especially obnoxious one

The sheer fucking hubris of Katana fans knows no bounds

"THIS SOUNDS BETTER THAN A VINTAGE MARSHALL"

"WITH THE EDITOR YOU CAN COP 2C+ TOANZ"

"I CAN EASILY COP YOUR DINO TONES WITH MY KATANA"

It sounds fine as a pedal platform but the gain tones are really not good, and those are all real, actual quotes of people on the HMAP group on Facebook

The tone master would have been a world beater if they cost 1/4 of their list price, but at the actual price JUST BUY A DRRI FOR GODS SAKE

They're too polite. He needs to take that PT20 V2 voicing and put it into a 50 watt. That's the best sounding Friedman I've owned.

I've only played a V1 PT, and it wasn't my favorite thing ever but the character of the gain was much more pleasing than a BE for sure

It might have been just that the PT was competing with things in that price range, and the BE is supposed to compete with the world beater range

But I haven't played a V2

I can't pick just one...

Peavey 5150
EVH 5153 (the Iconic is damn good tho)
Splawn

I just don't care for any of those. I've had a Nitro(yuck), played a QR(was OK at best), owned 4 5153s (both stealth 100s, 2 50w), and I've never heard a live 5150 sound decent nor the one I played through years back (backline rig).

Sorry!
The Nitro is for me one of my least favorite high gain amps I recall trying, at least of amps that go for over maybe $700 or so. I didn't like any of the Splawn's (even the earliest version Quick Rod. Better, but not by a ton)

The 5150's/6505's and EVH 5153's at least imo are good for the price, but even then not the very best choices

Last edited:

It sounds fine as a pedal platform but the gain tones are really not good, and those are all real, actual quotes of people on the HMAP group on Facebook

The tone master would have been a world beater if they cost 1/4 of their list price, but at the actual price JUST BUY A DRRI FOR GODS SAKE
I agree. I don't think the Katana are necessarily bad as much as they're 90% YouTube hype. I'd take an old Peavey Vypyr over a Katana any day as far as cheap modeling amps go. Again, not that they're bad. They're just way overrated.

To add to that, Orange Super Crush whatever. Again, not that they're bad, but when they came out, the whole YouTubz was like "woah, this is amazeballs" as if it was the first and only solid state amp to ever sound good.

Archon 100 and H&K grandmeister 40
I had the GM40 once and sold it. I regretted selling it. I wanted to like it so badly because it's like an all in one amp which I love the convenience. So I thought I'd buy the BlackSpirit200 instead. It's pretty much the same exact sound and feel as the GM40, and it's just too flubby overall, it is its own thing, but just not for me.

The Katana was a very obnoxious one. So was the Mustang, big time, especially since there were like three versions lol. The Cube got it all started though. And all of them except maybe the Tone Masters are little more to me than junky practice room amps. I used to have an Esteban amp for that kind of shit. I played it until it died and then did what any sane person would do with amps of that caliber, I put garbage in it's place. Except someone gave me the Esteban, I didn't actually pay for it LOL

I agree. I don't think the Katana are necessarily bad as much as they're 90% YouTube hype. I'd take an old Peavey Vypyr over a Katana any day as far as cheap modeling amps go. Again, not that they're bad. They're just way overrated.

To add to that, Orange Super Crush whatever. Again, not that they're bad, but when they came out, the whole YouTubz was like "woah, this is amazeballs" as if it was the first and only solid state amp to ever sound good.

I couldn't possibly agree harder

There have been tons of fantastic solid state amps, most of which have found a lane doing their own thing instead of trying to replicate tube amps

I would take a Randall RG, Ampeg 140c, etc head over a Katana any day of the week

And it isn't even that the Katana, Tone master, whatever is horrible - they aren't - they're just really over hyped and overrated

The Katana was a very obnoxious one. So was the Mustang, big time, especially since there were like three versions lol. The Cube got it all started though. And all of them except maybe the Tone Masters are little more to me than junky practice room amps. I used to have an Esteban amp for that kind of shit. I played it until it died and then did what any sane person would do with amps of that caliber, I put garbage in it's place. Except someone gave me the Esteban, I didn't actually pay for it LOL

I have a Joyo firebrand and a Joyo Atomic for that purpose, and despite what YouTube shills like Fricker would have you believe, they aren't loud enough to gig with (unless your drummer plays an e kit I guess?)

They sound fine for quiet home practice because that's their intended purpose - junky amps for woodshedding on, that sound quite good for what they are

There have been tons of fantastic solid state amps, most of which have found a lane doing their own thing instead of trying to replicate tube amps
What's funny to me is I still have yet to hear a SS amp do edge of breakup or mild OD tone better than the now "vintage" Gibson Lab series. Maybe I haven't tried enough SS gear but even thinking about it makes me want to quit playing guitar.

What's funny to me is I still have yet to hear a SS amp do edge of breakup or mild OD tone better than the now "vintage" Gibson Lab series. Maybe I haven't tried enough SS gear but even thinking about it makes me want to quit playing guitar.

Lab series kill for that tone, but I do prefer tube stuff for it. Honestly, less expensive tube amps - the TopHat club series especially, royale or deluxe depending on vox or fender flavor

Back