Most overrated amp ever... pick 1!

Mark V > Mark III

Now you can ban me.

Jesus Christ man 🤣

Wow 4 pages in and nobody has mentioned a Mesa Recto? I think I like recorded tones of them more than actually playing one. They are personally a love/hate for me but more hate than love.

I mean, I hate all the later rectifier revisions until the badlander showed up, but we're not alone - and they don't get the holy Grail treatment that a lot of the amps already mentioned do

That flubby low end and fizzy high end definitely makes my keyboard itch though

I'm not into "easy to play" either. That's why I love my Splawn QuickRod 100 and my Cornford MK50H and MK50 II. They hide nothing and forces you to become a better guitar player.

this will just never make sense to me, how does playing an amp that dosent respond make you a better player? :dunno: if some chick lays there like a stiff dead fish, do you say "yeah wow this is great, really forces me to bang her good and become a better fucker!"? i sure as hell dont, i kick her ass out just like an amp that wants to fight me all the time

this will just never make sense to me, how does playing an amp that dosent respond make you a better player? :dunno: if some chick lays there like a stiff dead fish, do you say "yeah wow this is great, really forces me to bang her good and become a better fucker!"? i sure as hell dont, i kick her ass out just like an amp that wants to fight me all the time

That's not a very apt metaphor

an amp that has better dynamics, string separation, and clarity, like that, forces you to have more consistent technique; and when you perform with better, more consistent technique, it rewards you with much better tone (especially high gain rhythm) than can be achieved with "Easy to play" amps

So in this case, its more like a broad that screams to the gods that youre the best lay shes ever had, and fakes orgasms to make you feel better, even though you're a four pump chump - it may help your ego, but deep down you know

compared to your stroke game giving HER an orgasm so intense she descends into a gran maul seizure

All the 5150 hate kinda crazy to me. They’re super affordable and punch above their weight in price. AND they record great.

I’d think there’d be more stuff in here like hermansson, mark IIc+, wizard, Cameron, Larry, etc. just for the sake of being so hyped up… and living up to that kind of hype is very difficult.

I’ll also add guitar players in general with amps let confirmation bias run wild. I spent this much it must be this good. It’s this rare it must be better than everything else.

EVH 5150, I’ve played probably 3 of them at guitar store volumes. Everyone of them sounded horrific, worse than a boogie mark with no graphic EQ. Probably should buy one though.

All the 5150 hate kinda crazy to me. They’re super affordable and punch above their weight in price. AND they record great.

I’d think there’d be more stuff in here like hermansson, mark IIc+, wizard, Cameron, Larry, etc. just for the sake of being so hyped up… and living up to that kind of hype is very difficult.

I’ll also add guitar players in general with amps let confirmation bias run wild. I spent this much it must be this good. It’s this rare it must be better than everything else.

Generally, those types of amps only don't live up to the hype if you:

1. don't do any research about them, and what makes them unique, and therefore don't know what they're used for

2. Expect a high gain amp to be magical and tune your guitar and cradle your balls.

Theres a very good reason they aren't mentioned as much as others 🤷 They picked a lane that they excel at.

I'll add that confirmation bias runs just as wild for bargain seekers.

"look at these chumps paying a million dollars for amps, my katana sounds just as good, haha chumps!"

I would take a Randall RG, Ampeg 140c, etc head over a Katana any day of the week
I loved the Randall G2 and G3 series stuff. A little bass heavy, but really natural and musical distortion while still having the solid state pissed off vibe. I liked those better than the Dimebag amps for the tone that I go for, personally.

I used to have a Fender Frontman that I converted into a head that sounded surprisingly heavy when boosted. Not gonna pretend it was the ultimate Wizard killer or whatever, but you would have never guessed it was a cheap solid state Fender of all things.

I loved the Randall G2 and G3 series stuff. A little bass heavy, but really natural and musical distortion while still having the solid state pissed off vibe. I liked those better than the Dimebag amps for the tone that I go for, personally.

I used to have a Fender Frontman that I converted into a head that sounded surprisingly heavy when boosted. Not gonna pretend it was the ultimate Wizard killer or whatever, but you would have never guessed it was a cheap solid state Fender of all things.

A weirdly underrated amp IMO was the fender roc-pro series. The matching cabinets with the eminences were garbage, but put one through some nice celestions and they sound surprisingly excellent

3 for me:

Wizard MTL
Uberschall (both rev blue and original)
VH4

Thought the VH4 was always my dream amp... i really wanted it to be my dream amp but couldn't get there with it.
FX loop was amazing though

Back