Most overrated amp ever... pick 1!

I mean, compared to the "parts and labor" food is probably "marked up" more than guitar amps lol

So it seems a little odd to pick that hill to die on

True👍
…and, some are actually ‘worth’ (to some of us) that extra care, detail, even artistic workmanship that’s incorporated into the precision building process.

I worked at several restaurants. Food cost is usually about 17%. Labor is usually about 17%. That puts us at 34% for material and labor.

Think about the markup earlier in the chain though - generally starting with paying a poor, struggling, third world person getting pennies a day to work in a field, and generally ending with a rich westerner paying 14 dollars for a coffee

Not a fan at all. I prefer them when someone else is playing them. I find them to be bloated and stiff, with a cardboard like tone. I especially dislike their feel.
I also disliked the Lil Fokker, couldn’t get that fokker out of my house fast enough. This guy in not a Diezel guy.

Don’t think I’ve ever been so let down as when I finally got the mighty VH4. Excitement levels were so damn high. Comedown was quick and rough. Tough lesson to learn - $$ doesn’t equal tone.

Don’t think I’ve ever been so let down as when I finally got the mighty VH4. Excitement levels were so damn high. Comedown was quick and rough. Tough lesson to learn - $$ doesn’t equal tone.
Never played the vh4. Heard amazing things. Vh2 was a great amp though. Would absolutely love to try the bigmax

Last edited:
The obvious answer is the completely over glorified and massively inflated clout, the 2c+. Not just because a boosted rectifier does everything it does but WAY better, but because the internet has deemed it into the end all be all. It’s a turd.

Honorable mention: Friedman amps. Dark, soft, everything that made Marshall great and removed it all.

Surprised to see KSR mentioned here, guess it’s time to make some CLIPZZZZZ

If I get 9 out of 10 chicks off though, or only this one amp is giving me problems, is it my technique that’s the problem or that chick is just a dead fish and the amp is stiff? I’d argue playing an unforgiving amp might not help in the long run, when all you’re focusing on is technique I think your playing becomes stiff, gotta learn to swing a little too
Amps that have great feel/touch sensitivity, mostly tend to make you work a little harder. But when you spend more time with them, I feel that your playing improves because you're forced to up your game a little. Vintage Fenders, some Mesas(Mark IIs), old Marshalls, Wizards, SLOs, VHT/Fryettes, even the Naylors to some extent have this commonality. Others I'm sure but those are the ones I've had experience with.

Amps that tend to be 'easier' to play, are typically SS in my experience although there are a few tube amps I've had that react in a way that seems 'easier'....Axe FX, Kemper, Randall SS stuff, preamps like the ADA MP1, Digitech GSPs, those all are super forgiving and going from a 'drier' amp like a D60 and immediately playing the AX8 I had a few yrs ago, was like holy balls I can fly around the fretboard now! Lol
But the small nuances that you can create with your pick on the 'harder to play' amps, that doesn't happen on the 'easier to play' rigs. The only tube amp that resembles those SS experiences is a non eq 2C I had; the response was so fast, I felt like a guitar hero in comparison to my other tube amps. Lol. It's really a noticeable difference with one amp that makes you work, vs one that does not.

Amps that have great feel/touch sensitivity, mostly tend to make you work a little harder. But when you spend more time with them, I feel that your playing improves because you're forced to up your game a little. Vintage Fenders, some Mesas(Mark IIs), old Marshalls, Wizards, SLOs, VHT/Fryettes, even the Naylors to some extent have this commonality. Others I'm sure but those are the ones I've had experience with.
This 100%. Even with an OD pedal in front of a Marshall you still have to be able to control the dynamics or your playing sounds like a nails on a blackboard.

The obvious answer is the completely over glorified and massively inflated clout, the 2c+. Not just because a boosted rectifier does everything it does but WAY better, but because the internet has deemed it into the end all be all. It’s a turd.

Honorable mention: Friedman amps. Dark, soft, everything that made Marshall great and removed it all.

Surprised to see KSR mentioned here, guess it’s time to make some CLIPZZZZZ
Pretty well my answer exactly. Now, I do think the 2C+ is a fantastic amp....but there is no way it is multiple levels above what my MKIV is. In some areas, the I think the MKIV is better than the 2C+.

Friedman for sure. I had huge expectations when I got my 2017 BE100. Turned out the 96 Ecstasy and Helios 100 I had beat it at its own game. For that type of thing, I have found, like a lot of folks here, it is tough to beat a well tuned old jmp/jcm with a boost.

I recently got a KSR Colossus and I am really digging it! For the "modern SLO" type tone, it does that so well....better than the Mezzabarba I had. Surprise gem for me on that amp is its crunch channel: Kinda like the SLO crunch channel but with more gain on tap via the mode function and great feel!

I mean, I own a IIc+ and think it’s overrated… I totally wouldn’t pay what people are asking.
I think this is pretty accurate. They are amazing amps. But no way I am spending that much on one when my MKIV gets me 95% of the way there.

That said....we often end up spending the big big bucks for that final 5% (in tone...or feel....etc) don't we.

Plus there is the fact there is a small and finite number of....well...any of those old Mesa amps now. I am curious to see what happens in say, 10 years with the price of a Rev G Rectifier. Specifically an unmolested/unmodded one, as so many seem to be getting modded nowdays. Dime a dozen when I was playing in the late 90's early 00's punk scene....unloved and sold cheap until the, I wanna say, late 20-teens.

Back