Most overrated amp ever... pick 1!

Yea man, sure they do……

Who said I couldn’t make a 2c+ sound good? I sure didn’t say that. I’m willing to bet, I can just about any high gain amp sound pretty good with what I have here.
I absolutely know you could! Including a C+, because it’s a killer amp capable of killer recorded tones! Lol

Actually what I meant was if someone thought BME was the epitome of 5150 tone then don't list the others because I never liked it lol. Saw them open for Slayer in '95. Musically I liked it but thought nothing of their live tone. For reference, tones that I think are far better from that time period (and coincidentally are also all tuned to B standard) are Heartwork and Demanufacture.
Both GREAT tones as well.

Nah man, they don’t need all that. Keep the bass low, around 9 o’clock, clean boost it and your golden.
It won’t be Larry tight, but tight enough for most applications.
I do agree though that if I have to loop EQ it to get what I want, it’s the wrong amp for me.

Yeah that's just not tight enough for my preferences

I wouldn't say a recto is "overrated" though, because they work for other people, and their flaws are kind of well documented

Am I the only one here who respects dream theaters talent but absolutely cannot listen to them?

Nope. I think their "songwriting" is basically unlistenable

I agree as far as BME - I'm not a fan of any of their tones tbh :dunno:

I think 5150's can sound good, sure, but it's so overwrought and pedestrian at this point its just like "who cares?"

Not a big fear factory fan, but Heartwork is a killer tone for sure.

Dissection's ReinKaos is a 5150 and an Engl, I think - and that album has killer tones.

I'm somewhere in between medic and racer on the 2C+ - it's definitely a classic tone.... but I mean, there's just the Sykes tone and the Metallica tone, and then everyone pretends old Dream Theatre has good tone because Petrucci is a really technical player for some reason, and then crickets

Reinkaos is a great album. Funny the hate that it gets from all the “trve” black metal edgelords lol

I wouldn't say a recto is "overrated" though, because they work for other people, and their flaws are kind of well documented

I get in man, definitely not the amp I’d recommend for your style.

Yea, I bet. And I’d love to have both sitting here in my studio and make them sound damn near identical and watch you guys try and decide which is which. God that would be fucking hillarious. I’m gonna go with, no chance on fucking earth he would be able to tell which is which. Sounds like a load of horseshit.
You're truly a dipshit dude. An epic fucking retard of the highest order. Congrats!

Clearly, that 2C+ envy just crushes you daily. When you go to sleep, do you have nightmares of the dreaded C+ crushing you? Maybe some CBT is needed in your life.
In case that's a "Huh??" on your part, let me help you. It's Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. You should reach out and get help.
Good luck, seriously.

Am I the only one here who respects dream theaters talent but absolutely cannot listen to them?
They had their moments in the 90's when they were more adventurous in a prog sense. After that, they got into this stale formula where most songs were very awkwardly arranged like this:
-atmospheric intro
-somewhat commercial hard rock/metal verse and chorus
-completely out of place and terrible transitions to the instrumental shred section (complete with goofy circus keyboard solos galore)
-back to the commercial-ish verses/chorus

No, I always found their riffs and musical content to be very clinical. It seems their compositional ideas are driven more by showing what they can do technically than trying to evoke something or move people

What to me makes Recto’s special from other amps (particularly Rev D and C) is the throaty low mid roar/growl they get on powerchords on the orange ch

Although they can be tight enough to get the job done boosted for many styles, they’ll never rival the best amps for that purpose (their attack is just too soft). I think it’s just that most of what you play needs sharp, hard attack and a tighter/firmer sound, while Recto’s really come alive more on big, longer held powerchords. In that context where they shine, I find a lot of those really tight, fast, attacky amps can get exposed in lacking some richness/depth or complexity in tone (the long held powerchords can often just sound bland, not that interesting). Just different strengths and weaknesses. For thickness and throaty growl those early Recto’s imo have few rivals. I think it’s more about just the right tool for the job, but they are awesome tools for what they do well. JMO

You're truly a dipshit dude. An epic fucking retard of the highest order. Congrats!

Clearly, that 2C+ envy just crushes you daily. When you go to sleep, do you have nightmares of the dreaded C+ crushing you? Maybe some CBT is needed in your life.
In case that's a "Huh??" on your part, let me help you. It's Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. You should reach out and get help.
Good luck, seriously.

It is mindblowing how absolutely butthurt you guys get over this, I fucking love it. And just so you know, real talk….when you are done being upset about this, and reflect at your childish actions I will be here……

Still waiting to hear what actual heavy records this turd of an amp has actually been on.

What to me makes Recto’s special from other amps (particularly Rev D and C) is the throaty low mid roar/growl they get on powerchords on the orange ch

Although they can be tight enough to get the job done boosted for many styles, they’ll never rival the best amps for that purpose (their attack is just too soft). I think it’s just that most of what you play needs sharp, hard attack and a tighter/firmer sound, while Recto’s really come alive more on big, longer held powerchords. In that context where they shine, I find a lot of those really tight, fast, attacky amps can get exposed in lacking some richness/depth or complexity in tone (the long held powerchords can often just sound bland, not that interesting). Just different strengths and weaknesses. For thickness and throaty growl those early Recto’s imo have few rivals. I think it’s more about just the right tool for the job, but they are awesome tools for what they do well. JMO

That's specifically why, while I don't get on with rectos, I don't think they belong in the "overrated" as in the OP

Dude that’s the truth. There is no such thing as TV volume with my coliseum. You turn it on to either play guitar with earplugs or you turn it off. The volume knob does not have a practice or below TV volume setting at all 😂
WHAT??
IMG_8652.jpg

As japetus once said back during the glory days of HCAF, "We should all just get Line 6 PODs and run them through tube power amps." This was pre-AxeFx/Kemper/etc..

Also, I nearly sharted because lightning just struck less than a mile away!

Back