Most overrated amp?

Any 5150 III after the OG is overrated IMO. The OG 100 watt a great all around amp; the rest are just too gainy and compressed.

I don’t know all the versions of 5153’s but I’d say that line is the only “modern classic” we’ve had since the og 5150s and rectos 30 years ago now, they are everywhere. Maybe the DSL too

Last edited:
I realize this is mostly venting, but I do have some thoughts on this. Lots of the move away from those amps was about getting more function than wanting a different sound. Lots of us love our old Marshalls, but a couple of channels would be nice, an effects loop, and maybe get those sounds on a stage smaller than Madison Square Garden. There are a lot of amps out there trying to just do that and it's been that way for 40+ years. None of them can do it all. They're all compromise, but it's understandable that someone's first question is whether it captures the sound, before delving into the functionality of the amp.

When I look around, about 90% of the high gain channel switchers out there are basically gained up and functioned up Marshall 2203's (not really "plexis" but still classic single channel Marshalls) and they sound like it. Boogies are the only amps I can think of that have had much impact that aren't essentially modified Marshalls.
I believe Mike Soldano also had a new twist to his circuits - a very unique twist given the rest of the herd out there.

And again, I don't wanna come off as a venting prick (seems this thread is already chock full of that), it's just - say - when someone buys into a big ticket amp like the VH4 or an XTC, or a Colossus or [enter whatever multi-channel high end amp here] you know, big dollar amps capable of pretty much everything (except bestowing magically arrived at talent to said player owning such amp) only to be asked "can it do plexi?", it's like 😑

Anyway - totally off-topic but since we're here - why do all the popcorn eating gifs (aside from the obvious spacesuit one) have people missing their mouthes when attempting to eat popcorn 😂

I think a lot of Friedmans are overrated - and I've got my flamesuit on - sorry, but it's my opinion. Great fkn amps - great sound - but the workmanship and materials do not justify their prices. Just IMHO - and yes - I've played/owned the gamut of them.

I’m sure I’ll take so heat for this but I gotta go with Monomyth. I had a modded Marshall and didn’t care for it at all.
To each there own.

When I look around, about 90% of the high gain channel switchers out there are basically gained up and functioned up Marshall 2203's (not really "plexis" but still classic single channel Marshalls) and they sound like it. Boogies are the only amps I can think of that have had much impact that aren't essentially modified Marshalls.
Boogie circuits are by principle Fender based, as well as Dumble circuits, as well as Trainwreck circuits (Express & Liverpool, not the Rocket, who rather is VOX based).

giphy.gif

Boogie circuits are by principle Fender based, as well as Dumble circuits, as well as Trainwreck circuits (Express & Liverpool, not the Rocket, who rather is VOX based).

My banks said I never received my refund from you Helmut, can you email me proof that you sent it?
Name of the bank and the date would be a good start.

Sincerely,
Customer non grata

I’ll just jump in to say that, if you’ve never played a certain amp but want to judge it by a clip, wrong answer. Clips will never ever show an amp that gets 70% of the experience from its power section. Like a Wizard, Coliseum, Superlead etc.
Those types of amps have to be experienced first hand in order to be judged, imo.

Never received the money, Helmut.

Please email me a copy of the wire transfer, I need to know the account, date, etc as I gave you very specific bank account info to wire it to and my bank has no record of a wire transfer from you from March 2020 to the end of May 2020.
My banks said I never received my refund from you Helmut, can you email me proof that you sent it?
Name of the bank and the date would be a good start.
Sincerely,
Customer non grata
Helmut? :ROFLMAO: Why not Hans? Or why not Gustav? I'm sure that you feel good yourself now 😜

Sorry Dagobert, nice try again - but believe me I have more fulfilling hobbies than texting you, or playing ugly games with you
Or wasting my time trying to convince you of something you know yourself anyway
For you mentally disturbed asshole I won't even try my eyes or lift a finger - never again

There was a time in the past - before you ordered your DINO - you took up a total of at least 100 hours of my time for answering your countless crazy emails - so crazy sometimes, that sometimes I thought you maybe are a second Mike Fortin

I'm really fed up with you! From now on I will not sacrifice a single minute more of my life for you with your sick mind!

Piss off of my life you douchebag - forever!
These are my definitely last words addressed into your direction.
Take it with you - into your grave!
And now you can go and die, I don't mind - for me you already died two years ago anyway 👿

Yours sincerely
The autocrat ~Helmut~

I’ll just jump in to say that, if you’ve never played a certain amp but want to judge it by a clip, wrong answer. Clips will never ever show an amp that gets 70% of the experience from its power section. Like a Wizard, Coliseum, Superlead etc.
Those types of amps have to be experienced first hand in order to be judged, imo.
It’s amazing to me and so stupid the way some guys form such strong opinions based on only clips (stronger opinions sometimes than I have on amps I own lol). I think part of it is that some amps that sound huge or punchy don’t often translate as much that way in clips like the coli’s, Beta, Blueface, etc. Comparison clips though (if done well) can be helpful, but just a clip of an amp by itself can be misleading and limited in giving an idea of what it really sounds like

Helmut? :ROFLMAO: Why not Hans? Or why not Gustav? I'm sure that you feel good yourself now 😜

Sorry Dagobert, nice try again - but believe me I have more fulfilling hobbies than texting you, or playing ugly games with you
Or wasting my time trying to convince you of something you know yourself anyway
For you mentally disturbed asshole I won't even try my eyes or lift a finger - never again

There was a time in the past - before you ordered your DINO - you took up a total of at least 100 hours of my time for answering your countless crazy emails - so crazy sometimes, that sometimes I thought you maybe are a second Mike Fortin

I'm really fed up with you! From now on I will not sacrifice a single minute more of my life for you with your sick mind!

Piss off of my life you douchebag - forever!
These are my definitely last words addressed into your direction.
Take it with you - into your grave!
And now you can go and die, I don't mind - for me you already died two years ago anyway 👿

Yours sincerely
The autocrat ~Helmut~

Helmut is your name, what’s the matter don’t you like the name your mother gave you?

The only time I have ever insulted you is when I called you a thieving scam artist yesterday, and so far you haven’t proven me incorrect, and facts aren’t really rude anyway.
Name other insults that I have thrown at you, Helmut?
I have mostly been measured and tempered in my responses, unlike you who constantly overreacts and spews the vitriol of someone who is clearly mentally disturbed and unhinged.

Now you are wishing death upon me? Not a very healthy environment you are creating here.

It’s simple.
You say you paid me back, my bank says you didn’t. I gave you clear instructions where and when to send the money and you ghosted.
If there is a misunderstanding, then email me privately the date and account that you sent the refund to so that I can confirm, and I will confirm that a mistake was made.

Just to add though, you did tell me that fedex covered the original tubes shipped in my amp, then retracted that, and again failed to provide proof that fedex denied the claim after you said they agreed to cover, so I’m guessing you pocketed the money and committed fraud.
So there’s that unknown as well which you have refused to provide proof for,
The truth is you shipped the tubes in their sockets, which I don’t think is the safest way to send them.
But I’m not the only one who has complained about your poor shipping and lack of follow up when things go wrong, am I?

You are showing your true colours in public, there is more to come and YOU WILL respond. Your customers who plunked down deposits for a new amp are watching.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to go there but...

1.) Larry amps sound good no doubt (thanks mainly to DanT)

2.) I don't know novosibir (or Helmut) but he does always to seem to come unhinged at least here on Rig-Talk. If I were running a business I would never reply to someone on a public forum like that. Period. It just does not translate well or seem remotely professional - even if English is not your native language. Take the high road and let the other person know you will PM them to discuss. That's just me :dunno:

I wasn't going to go there but...

1.) Larry amps sound good no doubt (thanks mainly to DanT)

2.) I don't know novosibir (or Helmut) but he does always to seem to come unhinged at least here on Rig-Talk. If I were running a business I would never reply to someone on a public forum like that. Period. It just does not translate well or seem remotely professional - even if English is not your native language. Take the high road and let the other person know you will PM them to discuss. That's just me :dunno:
He’s had several come apart’s on here going way back.

Back