Motor city pickup lead times.

I think you’ll like the feel as they’re tight and fast (especially the Roxy and Sunset models), more so than I remember those MCP’s being, but it’s been a while. I always thought MCP’s were a little overrated honestly

I think most guys define touch sensitive differently than me as I think that’s more about receptivity to expressive nuance’s in one’s playing and that’s where I’d really only use vintage pickups. Not something that’s there much really in current made pickups or most very hot pickups of any era IME that homogenize things much more

I haven’t really come across any post-‘70’s low output (DC) pickups that are imo great choices if one wants something very tight and crisp, but with equally good tone behind it
Vintage pickups are killer, no doubt….but they struggle with feedback imo with any gain levels above low-medium. Even with a gate.

Vintage pickups are killer, no doubt….but they struggle with feedback imo with any gain levels above low-medium. Even with a gate.
Not IME other than with my 72. There are some exceptions like some of the Gretsch’s and a few mini-humbuckers that are really hard to tame, but with most of them it’s been fine, some of my amps don’t even need a gate (depending on exactly which vintage pickup though), but when I do I’ve got my phalanx and golem that work well. And I mostly play metal. And it seemed to also work for Dimebag, Lynch, Sykes and I’m sure others. I know they used the constant volume roll back, but still

Last edited:
I have the Detroiter in my K-Line K90. It has an angry P90 tone in it in a humbucker form.

I've received every order I've placed with Motor City. Never had an issue.

Not IME other than with my 72. There are some exceptions like some of the Gretsch’s and a few mini-humbuckers that are really hard to tame, but with most of them it’s been fine, some of my amps don’t even need a gate (depending on exactly which vintage pickup though), but when I do I’ve got my phalanx and golem that work well. And I mostly play metal. And it seemed to also work for Dimebag, Lynch, Sykes and I’m sure others. I know they used the constant volume roll back, but still
Lynch used the Duncan Screamin Demon, which is potted...Sykes used the DF which is hit/miss in my rigs; and of course yes was ALWAYS on the vol knob lol....The BL stuff, he used epoxy which helps some, and they sound great but seem thinner to me with lead stuff but that's a thing with increased clarity it seems with chords.
But, they do sound great I just can't turn up to super loud vol with any of my amps without nasty feedback. The DF though, seems to play well with my distortion pedal + OD1X vs the lower gain setup, which is strange lol.

Lynch used the Duncan Screamin Demon, which is potted...Sykes used the DF which is hit/miss in my rigs; and of course yes was ALWAYS on the vol knob lol....The BL stuff, he used epoxy which helps some, and they sound great but seem thinner to me with lead stuff but that's a thing with increased clarity it seems with chords.
But, they do sound great I just can't turn up to super loud vol with any of my amps without nasty feedback. The DF though, seems to play well with my distortion pedal + OD1X vs the lower gain setup, which is strange lol.
Lynch was also known for using 500L's as well as Nuno Bettencourt and probably others that I'm not aware of. I'd consider the L100, 500XL, and L90XL to be fairly thick. I don't find the 500L or L90 thin, but I mostly just use the neck pick for lead tones for a more liquid sound, so that can be maybe part of the equation. My PAF's and '50's P90's also don't squeal in my setups and capable of what I'd consider to be glorious, thick lead tones. It's been the mini-humbuckers, Gretsch's, Tarback's and Dirty Finger's that squeal IME, but with some tweaking I can with most amps even get something manageable with those, but I may not have been able to with the Decimator gate I had

Also, for my own personal enjoyment, I'd easily take a little squeal creeping in here and there vs a comparatively bland/subpar recent made pickup sound, but I'm probably the odd man out there and I know for most practical applications I'd have to go with a setup that reliably doesn't squeal, so no mh's, DF's or Gretsch's sadly. I am though as you already know extremely stubborn about choosing practicality at the expense of a worse tone. It just is very unsatisfying to live with that knowingly lol

Last edited:
Totally agree. My 2nd Degree Blackbelt us gathering dust. Replaced with a Tonenerd Whiskey.
What guitar? I'm always curious bout what guitar. I know Scott's pups pretty well. So far, the Whiskey seems to be the general go-to for a great pup in any kind of guitar, that's not too tight or too loose. All of his pickups, even the ceramics, are super responsive to guitar volume and pick attack.
Personally, I think Scott underrates the Sunset. But I remember when it was his first solid offering, and I still love how it makes my $400 Squier 70s CV Strat keep up with all my other guitars.
A gf shot me this video today, of the Wicked 8 in Scott's purple sparkly, into @RedPlated MOAB. Said it popped up in her feed and she recognized the legs, lol.

The tone and feel is sooooo good. Makes me miss that amp and want a Wicked 8. Luckily, have my buddy's Tom Anderson Pro Am, here at home for a while with a W8 in it, to play. It really took that guitar to the next level, tonally inching the basswood body past my Suhr Modern mahogany/maple top with SSH+.

LPMojo that sounds sick! Yeah Scott's pickups just smoke and sound so good. He talked me out of the Sunset for my Les Paul Classic and recommended the Whiskey. Such a great decision and is such an amazing sounding pickup and is very balanced.

When I first got the Whiskey installed it sounded "off" but I realized I had my amp set at where it was when I had the 2nd Degree Blackbelt in there. I was able to turn my gain down a few notches and get that same awesome grind. I love the Whiskey!

Sent wade an email yesterday with a Question & he answered within an hour. He said he is focused on keeping things simple & cranking out pickups.

I have been a big fan of MCP for a long time. I've had the Afwayu, Detroiter, Hot Head, Black Belts 2nd Degree and the Solution. I currently have a set of his P90's in my Special. I started ordering Scott's Tone Nerd pups and I couldn't be anymore happier. Scott's builds are killer and has great customer service, Scott's a class act all the way.

Been a couple of years since I've ordered anything from Wade. Really frustrating to deal with because I think he just refuses to respond to emails these days. Typically, my wait times with his stuff have been 2-4 months. I've had a couple Afwayus, Nukes, and Solutions. All pickups I really enjoyed, but like I said, dealing with him is frustrating. I have seen some issues where some of the Nukes a buddy of mine ordered squeal like crazy, even after a repot. So idk. I have one in my main guitar that doesn't squeal (the black V in my profile pic...I should update that since I don't have that stack anymore lol), but that's all I've got from him ATM. I will say that I have liked his pickups more than anything else I've tried, including a couple Wagner pickups. Mostly, I'm just using off the shelf Duncans these days because I can easily order them.

Been a couple of years since I've ordered anything from Wade. Really frustrating to deal with because I think he just refuses to respond to emails these days. Typically, my wait times with his stuff have been 2-4 months. I've had a couple Afwayus, Nukes, and Solutions. All pickups I really enjoyed, but like I said, dealing with him is frustrating. I have seen some issues where some of the Nukes a buddy of mine ordered squeal like crazy, even after a repot. So idk. I have one in my main guitar that doesn't squeal (the black V in my profile pic...I should update that since I don't have that stack anymore lol), but that's all I've got from him ATM. I will say that I have liked his pickups more than anything else I've tried, including a couple Wagner pickups. Mostly, I'm just using off the shelf Duncans these days because I can easily order them.
The nuke at 23k is just stupidly hot. At this impedance it’s going to squeal quicker in different environments. Especially in a small untreated space no would expect this to be a
Hard to control Humbucker for moderately hung volumes under high gain anywhere other than larger or sound treated rooms.

Also if this is in a Les Paul and using long legs, swapping or dampening the adjustment springs can tame some feedback.

Another vote for Scott/ ToneNerd.

Great product- easily on par if not better than what other "name" winders are putting out, and cheaper to boot. The Whiskey in my Anderson is just fantastic.

Plus, communication is top notch and he's quick to get 'er done!

Scott can get you what you want quicker, cheaper, and you'll get communications. Tonenerd pickups sound amazing and I had a Motor City pickup in my guitar prior.

Back