MTB cycling

Cool stuff. Glad I don't MTB anymore. I've had more injuries in 3 years of MTB'ing than 20 years of dirtbikes, quads and 3 ATC 250'R's I've owned. I ride a stretch cruiser on the rail trails with my daughter now.

No photos but I got out yesterday for the first time since October. Ouch! At nearly 50, I don't think "ride myself into shape in the spring" is going to work anymore and it's pretty apparent that I need to put in some uncomfortable inside time this winter.

No photos but I got out yesterday for the first time since October. Ouch! At nearly 50, I don't think "ride myself into shape in the spring" is going to work anymore and it's pretty apparent that I need to put in some uncomfortable inside time this winter.
at 55 my goal is 100 miles a month. Right now I'm at 60miles and we just got shit on with a bunch of ice. might have to put a couple 20 miler's in at end of Jan. . I rode 10miles Saturday in 30 degree weather. The first mile or two sucked, it was fine after that.

at 55 my goal is 100 miles a month. Right now I'm at 60miles and we just got shit on with a bunch of ice. might have to put a couple 20 miler's in at end of Jan. . I rode 10miles Saturday in 30 degree weather. The first mile or two sucked, it was fine after that.
that's a solid goal. I think I'm going to have to sign up for Zwift or something and hope that it's entertaining enough to deal with the boredom of a stationary bike.

just need something like this to ride behind.
C3C90B19-21EA-4627-BC61-8D69A4651F00.jpeg

has anyone ever tried snow tires
about 30 years ago I screwed some drywall screws into every stud of a mud tire for riding on ice and snow. They worked great but also picked up many pounds of soggy leaves

in 2013, I built myself a fat bike with 4" tires. It does a lot of things extremely well, super chunky tech trail, sand, the talc we have in the cascades in the summer, but snow riding isn't a strong suit except under very specific conditions...packed snow. In packed snow, it outperforms a bike with standard tires by a long shot. If you're breaking trail, it's exhausting and I'd say that most of the time in new snow less than about 8" deep, I'd rather be on a standard mountain bike. The tires do float slightly better than standard tires, but the bigger contact also means that the snow underneath the tires isn't getting compacted well and traction is a challenge. This depends on a lot of factors...temp, how old the snow is (the crystals fall off as the snow ages and it compacts/slips differently), tire pressure, etc.

unnamed (1) by Sean Chaney, on Flickr

Not mountain bikes per say. The Fast Ripper has 29 inch wheels and gear which makes it nice to ride around town. The PK has 27.5 inch wheels, but the frame geometry makes it feel so good to throw around and wheelie.

1642872666637.jpeg

1642872715204.jpeg

i just put 29x 2.6 on the bile above. I've tried 27.5 2.8 a while ago. There great in loose stuff and fun down hill. I like 29s for running over things

Back